How Long Are Fresh Eggs Good For?

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by branchd77, Nov 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about getting and raising chickens so that I can have fresh eggs. I know eggs from the grocery store usually, last a few weeks. Does anyone know how long fresh eggs last for or maybe the best way to preserve them?

2. ShuswapViking

ShuswapViking New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    If you completely cover eggs with salt, you can keep them fresh for a few years. I learnt this from an old man near the Great Arrow Lake who was living completely off the grid! I haven't tried it, but I 've read about it. Eggs can stay fresh from 9months to 2years.

3. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Coating eggs in oil has the same affect. Keeping them refrigerated also helps to extend this. Keeping the chickens healthy is very important learn as much as you can about what's required to keep them healthy with out the supply there is nothing but demand.

4. ShuswapViking

ShuswapViking New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    On the survival side of things, a fridge might be out of the equation?

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    when the power grid goes down you are entirely correct.
    eggs last for ages, when I was out in the field I kept eggs in a plastic container and put that in the local stream with a large rock on it to keep it in place, always worked for me. as for length of time an egg keeps, it keeps for years sometimes, the only time I got a bad egg it was bad before I got it.

ShuswapViking likes this.
  6. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    If you take two clay pots one large one medium. Place the medium in the large and surround it with sand then add water to the sand and put a lid on the medium pot. The temperature inside the medium pot will drop to 42 degrees Fahrenheit.

ShuswapViking likes this.
  7. mrfred

mrfred Member
      13/25

Blog Posts:
    If you have a running stream, food can be placed in a water tight container and placed in the stream.

sunnytn likes this.
  8. PaulBell

PaulBell New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I believe fresh eggs can stay at room temperature for at least a month before they start to rot. But then it also depends on the temperature. If you are staying in a really hot and humid place the eggs may get spoiled sooner.

9. riya

riya New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    One of the simple and easy method to preserve eggs for two or three months is by greasing with fresh mutton suet, and then pack them tightly in a box of bran.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    eggshells are pourous and anything you coat them in could alter the taste.
    eggs in this country don't go bad as such, they last until you eat them.

11. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We are choosy with eggs because there were times that we had bought a tray with a rotten egg. That's why we buy eggs in the wet market because they are guaranteed fresh. Eggs last for 2 weeks only but the freshness is extended when kept in a refrigerator. But still, we never keep eggs for long. I remember the time when we had no refrigerator yet, my mother never stocked up on eggs. She buys only when needed.

12. Jewelweed

Jewelweed Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure how long they last officially. I think it depends a lot on the temperature. An important thing if you're keeping the eggs unrefrigerated is not to wash them until right before you crack them. Washing takes off some of the natural coating and makes the shells more porous.

There's a trick to checking egg freshness before cracking the shell and realizing it's gross. Put it in still water deeper than the egg. A very fresh egg lays on its side. As the egg gets older, it slowly leans up until it stands upright. An upright egg doesn't taste as good as fresh but it's still edible. It changes as the egg's shell becomes more porous with age and the air in the shell increases. If the egg floats, it is bad. There's an old poem that I learned but that's not important.

Tumbleweed likes this.
  13. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    Eggs are at their best state during the first 2 weeks. it is advised that eggs should not be washed, as that will make it depreciate even faster. its advised that you clean eggs instead of washing with water.
    Also important to consider is the temperature under which eggs are stored. At high temperatures, eggs can deteriorate alot faster compared to lower temperatures

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've had eggs that stayed fresh for months, if your concerned about your eggs do the float test, if they float in water they are off, if they sink they are ok.

15. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I usually I find that eggs last a good while months even. The problem lies the conservation You can store them in a fresh, protected from sunlight place and you can store them in the fridge. But when you put an egg in the fridge and then bring it out to store in an unrefrigerated place then it goes bad way more quickly.

16. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    How long eggs last depends on various factors, such as storing and temperature.
    If you want to store eggs for a long time, try to store in low temperature instead of high temperature. Also you should store eggs in cool and dry place and away from sun light. If you store properly, eggs can last for few months.

17. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Jewelweed is spot on...Check eggs freshness by floating them in water, if the rounded end containing the air sack lifts up to a slight angle the egg is ok, a steeper angle and it needs to be used up fast. If the egg looks like it's trying to actually float its time to throw it at someone you hate. An egg will keep at least a month in most conditions, sometimes much longer. Do not refrigerate eggs.