How Long Could You Go Without Food?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Xilkozuf, May 21, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Let's say you are trying to survive in the wild. You have some water nearby, you have all the basic needed resources... but one! Food is scarce, and you spend entire days without finding anything edible.
    In a situation like that, how would you act? You preserve some small food supplies, eating as little as you can to not waste it? Or you eat anything you find at the same time you find it, to have more energy to do other stuff?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I think it's said that you can survive 3 weeks without any food and 3 days without water.

I would do both things that you said. I would try to preserve any food supplies (if I had any left) and only consume so much that I could still go outside and try to find more. Just sitting and waiting, not eating, without trying to find another source of food isn't a good idea. I think in 3 weeks you should most likely be able to find at least something to eat... maybe not a big source of food but small is better than none.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    move to another area if the pickings are small where you are.
    our ancestors were hunter gatherers, if they couldn't find food in one area they'd move to the next.

Koala likes this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have got several months worth on me as fat! food will be a want but not a need for quite a while!
    I would quickly relocate to a food rich area !

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can survive 3 weeks without food providing you have water to drink. That being said, this 3 week period would depend on your fitness & health level & the amount of exertion/energy you expend each day.
    When travelling in the wilderness you should always be looking for food sources & anything else that will aid in your ability to survive comfortably. Hopefully you will have started out with some dried food supplies, these foods need to be supplemented with wild foods. Meat is good, so you would hunt along the way. If you have set up a permanent camp/shelter, then you need to set out a trap line. Traps can be made in the wilderness, you do not need to carry traps with you. A good trap line will work for you day & night. This may also include fish traps or set lines.
    You need the right mindset before going into the wilderness, & you need knowledge of animals, insects & flora. You need to be able to recognise food when you see it. For instance, now is the time of year we get Bogon moths. We spend much of our time avoiding snakes, but snakes are good food. Lizards can be stoned or hit with a stick should you come across one. You have to be careful not to expend more energy looking for food than you can replace, so if there is a shortage of a type of plant that you know well, do not spend too much time searching for it. Keep your eyes open for it, but take advantage of any other foods that are presented.
    Take seeds with you into the wilderness. Start a garden & protect it with a brush or wood picket fence. Gardening tools can be made on site. If you carry a tomahawk with you this will make tool making easier.
    Keith.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I can last for 3 days with only water for my sustenance. But I would be very weak and survival is at the minimum. Before I reach that stage, I would probably make improvisations like trying to find edible plants or leaves of trees. Next, anything that moves is food be it insect or animal. Most of those edible insects hide under rocks or under piles of leaves. Have you tasted worms? Earthworm is edible and if the situation is a matter of life and death then I would welcome the earthworm with my open mouth. When on a survival mode, you cannot afford to be choosy.

7. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Before anything else, I would save all the food and water that I had at the moment because I don't know how long I would remain in that situation. In general, I can stay a long time without eating (thanks to an excellent dietary reeducation).

After that I would start to visualize more closely where I am to see if I can find any nearby place where I could get help.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wont be going without food if I have it, if we are not doing much physical work we can get away with eaten sparingly but if we are working we need to replace the energy we use and that means finding food.

9. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    In an emergency situation, we should all be prepared. There should be no excuse to be without food or water. Companies like Sam's Club and Costco sell survival food a a steep discount. The water packages and the water purification tablets are essential. The 1-2 person 30 day supply of survival food is like $300. That's a steal!! We could go a month without food, if we were not burning energy ( as someone mentioned above) but we couldn't go without water for too long. The moral of the story is be prepared. My family depends on me for their survival and I will not let them down. We will be discreet about the location of our stash and will have an abundance of food and water when an emergency hits. In California, an earthquake is always a concern.

10. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I'd say about a week for my current health status. That is by the way, with water of course.
    I don't think I can last longer than that. Food is very important to our body.
    But it seems that there are people who can last for more than 2 weeks probably longer.

11. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I would do the same with you, and if I can't find good food then I would try some safe herbs or insects, And if I can I'm near the sea then Fish would be my first and safest choice however I think I can go Not more than 10 hours without food though I never tried before But I think I can do it :)

12. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I can go without food for about 48hrs. I'm assuming there's water to drink. Food fasts has been medically proven as one of the best ways and natural way for the body to cleanse itself from harmful chemicals. A fast is not something you can just do though. It has to be through a gradual process, otherwise you might think you are about to die if you just decide to fast suddenly for 48 hrs :)

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Bobby Sands the IRA hunger striker died after 66 days without food.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I think I could go on for a few days before I would need food to operate. I know the researchers say you can live 3 weeks without food but that doesn't mean you will be able to do everything in that period. I'd say that after a couple of days your energy levels will be deplenished and you're going to have a harder time focusing, which is important in a survival situation. You could probably live 3 weeks without food, but you'd probably die from other causes out in the wild in that time period.

15. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    i dont think i can stay a whole day without food now. But while i was younger i do engage in fasting and prayers and could stay upto 24 hours.

16. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I would drink as little food as I could and as much water as I could find. I would likely get bloated, but I would feel fuller faster, and I would be looking for less food. I highly dislike going without food if I'm hungry. I'm so used to even eating a little snack during the day. I would say that you should conserve your food and only eat as much as you know you reasonably need. Also, make sure you have dry fruits and vegetables or even fresh ones in your stash. These products will make you feel fuller so that you will eat less. To conserve your energy, perhaps don't roam around too much or else you could eat more food than you need.

17. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I have tried fasting for one day by only drinking water so it's not a problem for me if I have preserved small amount of food and eat it little by little as long I have plenty of water to consume. Keeping our body hydrated will keep us to function well.

18. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    If we take the survival rule of three for consideration, you'll last without food for 3 weeks. This is given that you have all the other necessities available to you.

Looking for food would be easy within 3 weeks if you know what you are doing.