How Many Kits Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags, and Other Craftsmanship' started by AnarchySurvival, Feb 19, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. AnarchySurvival

AnarchySurvival Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so I'm personally of the mindset that one kit is not ideal. A woodlands kit isn't exactly suited for urban areas and vice versa.

So I have a total of five, yes five, kits. Four of those kits are just some simple stuff like a multitool, some fire starting supplies, and a few other things. Two of the four small kits are more for getting stuck out in the woods for a night or two, basically just minimalist kits.

Then the other two out of the four are for urban areas. Got a handcuff key in both, some light sticks, cordage, rain jacket, and some other items useful in urban areas.

All of this does coincide with my large kit that is the base for my BOB. Redundancy is big in my book and I tend to have 2-3 replacements for the more important items like ferro rods and knives.

What's you ideology when it comes to your kits? Do you multiple kits for different areas? Or do you just switch out your items for scenery changes? I can't be the only one who runs different kits for different scenarios.

TexDanm, Keith H., elkhound and 3 others like this.
  2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Those "Bushcraft Forum" people talk about "kits" a lot. They seem to be obsessed with "kits".

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. AnarchySurvival

155/173

Blog Posts:
    Not from some "Bushcraft Forum", I just made the decision to use "kit" instead of some other word like "gear". Besides, I'm not even that particular to bushcrafting.

elkhound, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have several kits, or BOB's just to use a common term. I don't really plan them by location, but I guess there is some of that factored in. All of my bags contain the 5 C's at a minimum, and usually much more. All could be used in the woods, but it is much more likely we will end up in an urban or suburban environment.

I keep a small Get Home Bag in my car. I work very close to my house, so it is a minimalist kit. Small enough to carry easily for some distance. This bag is made for an urban environment, so I have a Sillcock key, and cash. IMHO those are two of the most overlooked items. I also have a car kit which includes tools, boots, food, water, a complete change of clothes from the skin out, hats, scarves, gloves in Winter. That stays in the car all the time.

We have BOB's for each family member. These are 72 hour kits, although, again IMHO, 72 hours is woefully inadequate. I try to supplement these with my car kit, so we would be better prepared for at least 7-10 days.

I have a medical bag that is complete with toiletries for all family members. A food bag that is grab and go, and it is food/meals that are ready to EAT. Not food that is ready to COOK. I keep an ARK bag under lock and key. This is an Armed Response Kit. Weapons, Ammo, cleaning supplies.

For a TEOTWAWKI, Bug Out situation I have an INCH bag, a dry bag with clothing and bedding, and a camping gear duffel bag. This will obviously require a vehicle or trailer to carry. I never really added it all up, but I guess it comes to eight or nine.

5. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    the british have an expression kits , i have not heard this in quite some time. there was a kit for every thing, a saving kit, a wash up kit, a repair kit the list is endless. i do have several kits.

6. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Makes perfect sense.

TMT Tactical, elkhound and Sourdough like this.
  7. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    i like having items organized. be it called a kit or gear or roll or whatever. it makes packing and unloading packs much easier and safer. plus it keeps items from being lost..or less chance. plus it pack up better and tighter in ones backpack. dumping gear out on ground and hunting for a piece sucks so reaching in for a 'kit' where you have items bundled together is easier and faster...if you keep a mental notebook of everywhere items are at.

i use to backpack and hike alot in the 90's. i had an awesome cook kit. its no longer made or i cant find it anyhow.the plastic bottles and various items were either worn out or degraded over time. so i been replacing and rebuilding it last bit.

i also am building a 'tool kit' of items i know i use and from some advice from others. i took idea of the old ww2 fishing gear kit pilots use to have.it was an apron with pockets on front but it all rolled up. i used a nail pouch and put more section in it to very specific items. i hunted around a lot for items and still am as i find and work out details and test items out finding them either not what i wanted or needing a higher quality item.

one thing i have also done since i have lots of extra gear.i been picking up shoulder or sling bags from local thrift store.i am building them like a simple go bag with gear i wont use to just hand out to others in family. for awhile i seen lots of these come in to store and at $2 i ought them. now last bit i not been able to find any at all.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have just the one kit. I am already living in the bush. However, If I were living in the city, I would still have only one kit. The idea is to get out f the city & survive out bush, I see no need for an escape kit, I see no point in carrying more than one kit.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like making kits and have dozens of them. Basically, I start with a possible situation and then try to figure out what would be the best kits to handle that situation. Part of the determining factors is the size that I could reasonably be willing to carry or have with me at the time that a problem arose.

All kits address the basic needs; shelter, fire, a sharp tool, water purification, and storage, first aid, and navigational/signaling aids.

When I go fishing and am not going to be in a boat I need something small enough that it won't be a hindrance for me to carry around with me. These kits are very small and are only slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes. I have a slightly larger one for when I am hunting. I have a larger kit with more gear in my boat and an even bigger get home kit in my truck.

Some of the kits are in a seal a meal vacuum package, some are in fannypacks, some are in a small backpack, one is in a large Alice pack on a frame and my truck bag is a BIG duffle bag and includes firearms ammo, edged weapons, and tools.

I like making these and often give away the small kits to friends.

elkhound, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. AnarchySurvival

155/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad to see so many responses here. I've been a little busy since I had posted this so I haven't had much of a chance to reply. It's interesting to see opinions about this topic.

Some people, like myself, find it useful to have multiple kits for different scenarios and events. Some people find it a bit ridiculous to do so. Personally, I feel it just makes it a little easier to keep track of things. Plus, if I'm doing something like going out for the day to do some fishing, I don't need to take the time to transfer certain "in case of" items from my main gear to whatever bag I'm taking with me. I already have those items in a bag and ready to go, so I just grab the bag and go.

Also, every gear bag I own, aside from my urban book bag and US National Guard digicamo backpack, is MOLLE compatible. The two backpacks will be worn by my wife son, primarily because they will only be carrying minor things like clothes and snacks during movement. I will be carrying the majority of gear myself using my large US Army MOLLE Ruck.

Hope to see more comments about what everyone thinks and what kind of kits/bags everyone has. Maybe I can get some new ideas for what to put in or substitute for other items.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Morgan, how do you keep the water in your car fresh? I came up with some insulation that somehow works but still got the bottle cracked during the night when it was -15°C and not to mention the summer, when I believe the water must be full of living things during one hot summer day left inside the car...

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    First, I buy bottled water. Not something I make myself. I am trusting that it was clean when it was manufactured, and sealed better than anything I could do myself. Maybe a minor detail, but the container is a heavier plastic. Not a milk container.

I keep it in another plastic container, which helps insulate it. I have not had any trouble with it freezing in the Winter, and I know it has been in the trunk of my car in sub - zero F temps.

Thirdly, rotate the stock. It is not a major expense, so you drink what you have, and buy another bottle. I have not had any problems keeping it for a year. It is so simple. Bottled water is available in many gas stations (petrol stations). When you get gas you buy a bottle of water.

Are Styrofoam coolers available in your area. They are very inexpensive here. If you kept the water bottles inside a Styrofoam cooler they would be much better insulated. Also, if the bottle does crack the water will be contained in the cooler, and not soak your trunk. Hope this helps.

elkhound, Yenix and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    I guess this is my major problem, not just with water. I cannot find the correct mindset to control my laziness and do it correctly.

14. AnarchySurvival

155/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, procrastinating is a big downfall. Find what motivated you to do it and then just keep that motivation in play.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I would not call it procrastinating exactly, but there might be different priorities that day than exchanging water in a car. So when I finally buy new water for a car, I am usually afraid the old one might be bad already, so I drink the new one... And so on.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

A malady we all suffer from. Now you how to fix it. I can be twice as lazy because I can buy the Styrofoam cooler in the same place as the water. You can fix it today in five minutes.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    For keeping in a vehicle which is prone to extreme temperatures, I prefer glass jars fitted with silicone "Jar Jackets" and wire handles. I process the water in glass canning jars in a canner on the stove. (For winter storage, make sure to leave enough air headspace in the jars to allow for expansion caused by freezing temperatures.) I stole this idea from a lady on another forum, and ran with it!

I like storing water in glass jars because 1) it eliminates any chances of any chemicals leaching from plastic bottles into the water, and 2) If absolutely necessary, I can reuse the glass jars for a SODIS method of purifying water, in case all other options are depleted, and if I don't have the option of boiling it. (This type of solar disinfection works with plastic bottles, but not so well after they get scuffed up or cloudy, and are harder to get really clean.) 3) no worries about plastic leaking water everywhere. BUT, being glass, I need to be careful to wrap the jars well to prevent breakage, or else slip on Jar Jackets like these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Jar+Jackets&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

(wire bail handles are nice, too: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Jar+Jackets&ref=nb_sb_noss_2)

More about the SODIS method of water purification (for in case all other methods are exhausted):

https://www.cdc.gov/safewater/solardisinfection.html

Sonofliberty, TMT Tactical and Yenix like this.
  18. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    If preppers are good at one thing, It's having Kits and back up Kits for their main kits, and then back up, back up kits for their first 2 kits.. and etc.

Personally I have 4ish.. Kits.

My Home Kit: For When I'm stuck at home, or don't have the current means to GTFO, Or don't need to leave the house (Storm or etc.)

My Truck Kit: For those times If ever, I get trapped on the road away from home. I'll have sufficient means to Get home, or get to where I'm going or survive where I'm at.​
    My B.O.B: For When It's time to get the heck out of Dodge

My E.D.C: A little kit of things I carry with me at all times of the day whether I'm at work, home, on a drive, or anywhere really.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  19. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I have EDC, INCH, and The Van. I do have a pack for camping that I do not consider anything else.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I certainly agree with that, and I stand guilty as charged. Yes, I have back-ups to the back-ups. I have made it a point to include a multi tool, flashlight, and headlamp in every single bag I own, so now whatever I grab I know I will have at least a minimal amount of the things I might need.

21. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have different caches or BOBs or kits or whatever you want to call them for different purposes and in different places. I have a get home bag in my truck, I have an INCH bag in my storage shed that was prepared when I lived in suburbia. I have a cache outside of my house in the event of a home invasion that pushes me out of my home in a hurry. I have a cache in the mountains in my cabin in the event I have to bug out from my home in the flat-lands. I have a cache outside my cabin in the mountains in the event I am pushed out of that location. I have a NBC cache bag. I have numerous armor bags in numerous locations and numerous medical caches in numerous locations. Numerous food caches in numerous locations. I even have different equipment caches in different vehicles and gear caches for my horses in the event of a quick saddle up and bugout. LOL. A kit or cache can be lots of things for lots of uses in lots of different places.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.