How much food do you carry?

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by FuZyOn, Jun 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I know it depends on the period of your stay but how much food do you think is reasonable to get you through your adventure? I always like to fill up my food bag to the brim, I would much rather have more food than have less. I also get a lot of fruits and vegetables, those are key when you're surviving.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never weighed or measured the provisions that I carry, & frankly when travelling on foot it would be difficult to be able to carry enough food for your needs. I carry mostly dry foods, plus fresh foods such as bread & cheese & some fruit. These latter foods are eaten first. On a long trek you need to supplement your provisions along the way by hunting & foraging. If you are a part of a group, then some people may be delegated to carry more provisions for everyone, ideally this would be ones partner, because some of the equipment you are carrying will also be of aid to your partner. Your oilcloth shelter for instance, the kettle, other tools, etc. The same may apply to carrying extra gunpowder.
    Keith.

JeffHart and MKprepper like this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Non perishable food mostly, like dry and canned food. If you are on you own, eventually you need to find a steady source from game hunting, fishing, foraging etc.

MKprepper likes this.
  4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    When hiking for extended periods of time, we planned out our meals and snacks and only packed exactly how much we needed. It takes up a lot of room in your pack, for one thing. It also gets quite heavy, when traveling all day on foot.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I carry a bag with 21 days rations in my vehicle on all overnight or longer trips!
    My pack only has three days rations! but I can strap the above over the top of my pack!

JeffHart likes this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Don't you find canned food heavy to carry?
    Keith.

7. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Not when I carry some lightweight and small canned sardines with me.

8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    canned foods do weigh heavy so it limits how much one can carry, although this shouldn't matter too much on a day hike or even a few days, when I've gone for a week or more I've carried dehydrated food packs instead.

9. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    If you know how long your going to be away then you should be able to identify how much food you'll need or want to carry with you. I think that you should also think about the types of food like how long it can last, because if you have something like beef jerky, which is good but not a full meal, you may be disappointed that you didn't take something else.

Some people above are saying things like dehydrated foods, yeah that's cool especially if you can dehydrate full meals, I would take that option as well because it means you can carry more food because the packs take up less space. I really wouldn't worry about canned good because you have water that you can find, and use that to cook your food in. Water is heavy.

10. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I carry a container full of food on me at all times, because I try to save money on eating out and I have containers of food one with my toss salad in it and the other container with my fruits and vegetables to try to eat healthier and eliminate as much junk food intake as possible! I am a big time snacker!

Keith H. likes this.
  11. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Hi
    This is what I typically do when I go hiking for the weekend. I pack the food that I enjoy for the 3 day trip.
    I always keep in mind that there could be unforeseen accidents that could prolong my stay. I think about food that is light and that doesn't take up room.
    I love my beef jerky for protein and I buy those small 1oz. 6-pack of Sun-Maid raisins.
    A jerky wafer for protein and a 1oz box of raisins a day can provide sugar and a bit of vitamin boost to get me through a day.
    I try to keep things very simple and pray I never have to use my extra rations. :)