How much time do you spend prepping?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by ziskasun, Jun 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I was beginning to wonder how much time we actually spend in actual prepping activities such as building, buying, planning, researching etc. For many people, it is just a hobby. They like to try to be self-sufficient and enjoy weekend projects and casually go about increasing their stock. For others, it is a way of life and they practice it 24-7. Some find the constant preocupation with survival overwhelming and draining while others feel exhilarated and their feeling of well-being grows as they put time and energy into preparedness. What do you think? Is it a way of life or more of a pass time for you?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I learnt to prep first through experience living at home with my parents & then later in life on my own. I continued learning through 18th century Living History, experimental archaeology & Historical Trekking, which is a hobby/interest of mine. On the other hand we are living completely off grid & have been for about 40 odd years.
    Keith.

3. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That is fascinating Keith. You mentioned you have been living off grid for at least 40 years and that's amazing. I don't know how old you are but I have sometimes wonder if there is some age at which off grid living would become difficult or impossible for me. Maybe some people have it all figured out to where it's not to much work no matter how old you are. sometimes I struggle with thinking I won't be able to do it all in my old age.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am 67, & yes working is more painful now, but I don't let that stop me. I could NEVER live in the city, I would die if I moved to the city. Therefore it is not an option. The best thing to do is keep doing, stop & you die.
    Keith.

5. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I know what you mean about the city. Cities are toxic to me as well. I can hardly visit there and really only do so when it is absolutely necessary. I think about our country back in the early 1900's. Most people had to chop wood, plant, grow and harvest their own food and life was much more "work" than it is now in our current world. They managed and were probably better off for it.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Prepping is actually something I do with joy, I love getting all the stuff done for a big survival trip, it gets my blood boiling and makes me ready for adventure. I probably spend way too much time setting up everything I need and organizing stuff so that it's easy to find, but I don't regret it at all. It's better to be safe than sorry! :p

7. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Preparedness is something I work on, literally, every day. The is a category on my daily "To Do" list that is "Preparedness". Now some days it can vary from some very basic supply chain management to massively time consuming and expensive projects. Most of the time, it is somewhere in between those two points. I, generally, include a "fun" task on the list to keep me moving in the right direction.

8. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Preparedness became something that I placed a significant priority on in my life in 2012 due to the damage that Hurricane Sandy inflicted on my state. Since then, I have massively expanded our garden area .. so much so that it actually produced more food than we could both eat and store last year. I keep the typical survival supplies on hand (batteries, radio, flashlight, bottled water, canned food) and augmented them with an outdoor firepit that could stand in as a grill, a large quantity of wood and several fruit trees/bushes.

hades_leae likes this.
  9. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I feel the same way, there is nothing wrong with prepping, but people can be over preps because they are paranoid. I think that it's good to always prep, but not do it as a way of life, I think that is pretty boring, some people may find it satisfying, but honestly just being prepared enough. Prepping on weekends, once a month, or shopping online in bulk every now and then is enough.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not prepping 24/7, but everyday i'm trying to think of ways to improve our chance of survival post SHTF, everytime we go out whether its a shopping trip or a sunday open market, I am looking around to see if there is something I need to add to my stores.
    when i'm online i'm doing research to further our survival, there is always something new to be learned even at my age!

Tammie Griffin and hades_leae like this.
  11. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    That's true, there is always something new to learn. Hey do you believe in couponing? I have recently been learning about this, I see that a lot of people out there don't really have lots of money to spend on good deals that they may find, but using coupons to get 5 for 1 or even better deals is a good thing for a prepper. My first thought was to not do it because for some reason I feel embarrassed about going to a register just to try and save 1 or 200 dollars with stacks of coupons.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    nothing wrong with couponing if you can get it, at the moment coupons here are low on the ground.
    look for special offers and reduced prices.