How Should We Prepare To Increase Our Chances Of Survival In The Event Of An Earthquake

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by DenisHero, Jul 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DenisHero

DenisHero New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Water, cans, wet napkins, first aid kit, portable radio, flashlight, exchange batteries, whistle and multifunctional penknife are just some of the elements for the emergency kit.
    In case the earthquake is massive and more days will be needed for people to be rescued,we will add more.
    The water is very important.Store at least 5-6 l for each person.
    Food must be ensured-recommended are cans, dehydrated foods, energy bars and protein sticks, cereal biscuits.
    Very important are the radio and flashlight, for which we must not forget the replacement batteries. A whistle can face the difference between life and death because through it we can be heard by rescuers.
    So,I think that's almost everything we need to consider in case of an earthquake.

2. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    First aid kid, water, food are all good resources useful in an earthwake and in almost every other situation, if you want to be always prepared you always need them.
    But I would add stomething in this specific case, since you could get trapped in your house for who knows how long. You might need tools like a hammer, a crowbar or a rope ladder. Of course you shouldn't try to do anything dangerous before the expert arrives, but if the situation is really bad and you need to get out as soon as possible they can all help you a lot.

And of course, but this doesn't depend on single individuals, the various buildings should be built following the various anti-earthquake regulations... but this doesn't always happen.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    With earthquake, the only preparation we do is mental conditioning. When disaster strikes, panic is the waterloo so presence of mind is important. Next is the course of action. Earthquake drills are helpful because you learn a habit on what to do. Pardon me but stocking on food supplies and implements will not matter much unless the earthquake occurs when you are at home.

4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Not to be flippant, but people write entire books on this subject. Having some supplies, and thinking you are prepared is very naïve. I would start with my house or residence. What have you done to secure it, or make it safer to survive an earthquake? Can you turn off the utilities? Quickly? Is your water heater immobilized? Other gas or electrical appliances? If everything is shaking, and the water heater breaks loose you may have an active gas line spewing into your house. Is tall furniture attached to walls, so it won't topple over? Heavy hanging plants, pictures, mirrors? Are they mounted to a wall or over a bed or where they could fall on somebody? China cabinets?

Food, Water, Shelter, Communication, all need to be considered. One thing we should have learned over the past few years: general consensus is prepare for 72 hours. That isn't near enough. You should be prepared to be without services for at least 10 - 14 days. Nobody will even find you in 72 hours.

What type of communication system do you have in place with other family members? What if you aren't all together when it happens? Are you sure you can get home? Are there any handicapped or disabled people in your family? Do you have pets? Are you prepared for this event to happen in all seasons? What happens if it is the dead of Winter, and you have no home to go to because it is all rubble?

Here is a FEMA link that is a good start: https://www.fema.gov/media-library-...26_Earthquake_Safety_Checklist_110217_508.pdf

Hope this helps.

Radar, Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Hick Industries

Hick Industries Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    I lived in southern california for 32 yrs. I studied geology while i lived there. The best preparation you can make, to survive an earthquake, is to move away from subduction plate boundries.

If the geologists are correct, the western US is going to get absolutely hammered in the next hundered yrs.

I moved to eastern oklahoma. We have lots of earthquake here as well. But the quakes we have here are tiny, shallow little things. I don't live anywhere close to the new Madrid fault either.

coffee and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just one of many reasons I don't live in Komifornia any more. When the left coast slides into the ocean, I will have beach front property.

Radar likes this.
  7. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Preparing for a earthquake can really depend on your location. If your located right on the ocean your preparation will be have your BOB in your vehicle and have numerous routes to get to high ground. Best to avoid steep slopes and routes with few bridges.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Southern California has experienced two earthquakes in the last two days.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/6/20684196/earthquake-southern-california-magnitude-64-71

Government and mainstream media propaganda sez, "Don't worry."

There are other viewpoints.

https://newslanes.com/2019/07/05/ca...cent-chance-the-big-one-will-hit-in-30-years/

All around the Pacific Ring of Fire there is happening an awakening. My gut feeling is that some catastrophic events are in the offing ... and it won't be long.

In the realm of Karma, the unmitigated arrogance we witness in humankind is going to tear something loose. The Reckoning is knocking on the door.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.