How They Survived

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Pragmatist, Feb 23, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Happy they were not injured and hope they will stay out of the forest from now on. Too ill prepared to be allowed back into the country side.

Caribou likes this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They actually did very well and did EXACTLY what you should do if you are lost in the woods. Find water and stop moving around so that your searchers can find you. They didn't wander around and burn energy or further injure themselves. You are not going to die if you don't eat for a week or two. If you do eat the wrong thing or things that your system is not used to, that can make you sick and kill you. If you know that there will be people searching for you you save your energy and just wait for the pros to come to you.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Or if you get lost in the woods, carry a darn compass and know where to go to get back to base. I only feel sorry for lost children, they have not had the time to learn how to be prepared. Grown adults should not be getting lost in the forest.

Caribou likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02...-details-in-finding-missing-palo-alto-couple/

Good morning all,

Above is a follow-on article. There's some material that can help refine one's knowledge of wilderness SAR. This California area reminds me of the Great Smokey Mountains. Both areas are in the public minds as picnic areas but really closer to the most dangerous areas a private citizen can walk into. The Dennis Martin case is used for intro "ground school" SAR classes.

I use a different definition of "avid hikers".

I am familiar with unique kinds of misery.

Note the term "boggy marsh". Here, if the marsh isn't boggy, the county will give out building permits.

How our language develops: "Bushwhacked" gets a new definition. "live find" has a morbid ring to it.

This SAR event shows there is hope. NOT re the couple who were reckless and inherently relied on others' funds and safety for their personal pleasure - but on the young people who did some volunteer work with risk to their own lives.

Democratic Republics decay into collapse because the citizenry does not participate in running the place. Again, there is hope.
    Now couple this sliver of hope with the rescued losing their retirements checks and dwelling to pay for the rescue and perhaps a recovery can occur. I believe those around in a few years will see this happening.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    People make mistakes and then also sometimes $hi+ just happens. I have a rather strong directional sense AND always have a compass but I remember one time being "lost" in the woods. I KNEW what direction that I needed to go but couldn't go that way. I was tracking a deer in a place that I had never been before. When the trail faded to nothing and I decided to return to my truck I took a look at my compass and headed that way. I didn't get very far before I ran into a creek. It was winter and there was no way that I was going to swim that creek. Over the next couple of hours, I headed in several directions. I knew that I had not crossed a creek but every direction that I went ran into that creek! It was as if I had somehow gotten on an island. It was getting late and if I didn't get out soon I was going to have to make camp and spend the night. I fired off three shots and got a response from my Father in law that I had come with. I headed in that direction and hit the creek again but this time I just stayed alongside the creek and followed it. Long story short I got out right at dark. What I had done was track out onto a piece of land that was where the creek made a U turn and then almost ran back on itself. I had passed through a narrow pass that was heavy brush and didn't see the creek that was on both sides of me. Once you got past that pass it widened out into an almost island that was probably 100 acres. The compass wasn't any help until I got back through that pass.

I am not so hard on people. I have made mistakes myself that in retrospect were stupid as hell. I don't see someone getting lost as being a bad thing and not having a compass is a VERY common mistake. They probably assumed that if you were in a park on a trail that you wouldn't need a compass. They made a mistake at the start but once they realized their situation they did the best and smartest thing possible. I'm glad they were found and OK. It would have been sad and a shame had they died. When I get my perfect award I might not have as much sympathy but I don't see that happening any time soon.

TMT Tactical likes this.