How to Carry and Store Water

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by WaterWizard, Apr 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WaterWizard

WaterWizard Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to that precious resource water finding, it is only part of this problem. Your next problem will be ways to store and carry water. If you are traveling and trying to get from point A to point B, you will need water to reach your destination. Without this precious resource chances are you'll dehydrate along the way and turn into buzzard and bug food. Finding containers that you can carry water in will obviously be very beneficial in helping you to maintain a healthy body function on any journey.
    [​IMG]

Even if you have a permanent shelter water will be an important part of it being successful. Having places to store it and ways to store it are going to be your two big adversaries. Water can be carried in many things, but you must first make sure they did not have chemicals inside of them first. Containers that were used for household cleaners, gasoline, or other purposes are not to be used for drinking water. You can fashion bags out of old plastic as well as upcycled milk containers and other types of jugs for carrying water.

z-5Ijm6p0cVvlo-X37MI1BWVloS9mWhR.jpeg
    Many times you will find discarded soda bottles, sports drink bottles, and water bottles that can be reused again to carry life's precious resource. Storing water is something you will want to read up on if you are planning on doing this. Water that is stored improperly can become stale and stagnant at the same time making it very dangerous even deadly. In any survival situation staying healthy is very important and dirty or unsanitary water is the quickest way to put yourself in a crippling situation. Make sure the containers you use to carry your water in and store it are sanitized and safe to use before putting your body's essential resource into it.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    The single best cheap/free water containers are used 2l soda bottles!
    They are very light, they are very strong, even when the outside gets grubby the insides are still good!
    And they last!
    The plastic containers milk come in and similar with the water ones are not UV stabilised and over a short time in the sun crack!

I carry several types of waterbottle I have two stainlesssteel canteens with stainless mug and cooker stand old and sturdy with a s/s mug to drink/boil water with
    Next I have a dozen odd lightweight stainlesssteel waterbottles modern cylindrical ones I have them because I got them for 50c each!
    and lastly I have used 2l zero bottles, they carry the most and weigh the least but you can't boil water in them.

When up in snow country (not often ) I keep them inside my cloak to stop them freezing!

I have a katadyn water filter, puritabs, iodine, and bleach to treat sus water!

One wall in my shed is stacked eight high with 2l soda bottles full of water, about 300 in all!
    Outside I have a 200l portable tank and a fixed 1,000L tank and a huge fixed sand filter, filters particulates so my katadyn don't clog up!

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I carry two leather covered glass water flasks. Water is probably the heaviest item that anyone can carry, there is never enough of it. I have some plastic bag wine cask inserts which hold a lot of water, but for someone to carry these it will mean that they will not be carrying much else.
    At home of course our water is stored in tanks, two 5,000 gallon cement tanks, two 1.000 gallon galvo tanks & one 1,000 gallon poly tank plus Cattail Pond.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    My two water flasks.
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the two cement tanks at the main house, the poly tank in at the other end of this house, & the two galvo tanks are up at the cottage.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we generally keep a couple of pop/soda bottles filled with water in the car at all times, I have many army type water canteens both metal and plastic, when camping or hiking I carry 2 of these on a webbing belt, I also have a western type round canteen which holds 3 pints.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Much the same lonewolf, plastic drink bottles of water in the vehicles, plus I have a small collection of period water canteens. They may come in useful one day.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]