How to cure meat

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by ziskasun, Jul 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ziskasun

ziskasun New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am interested in learning how to cure fresh meat. I'm not really talking about hunted game necessarily but using meat I bought on sale or using it up if the electricity goes out. I have read that you can basically make it into jerky or smoke it. I want to learn how to do this without any electricity. Any ideas?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    This has already been posted & answered, but go here for the information you need: http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/search?q=dried+meat
    Keith.

3. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Curing meat is quite simple and easy. There are several ways on how you can do it. You can go the easiest way by just cutting the meat into thin strips then dry them out under the sun. To help preserve the meat, you should put rock salt all over the strips. You can also smoke the meat. Again, you should use a lot of salt on the meat to prevent them from spoiling. Curing meat either through smoking or sun-drying can take a few days. If you think they've been cured enough, you should store them in containers that can't be accessed by flies and other bugs.