How To Deal With Bouyancy? (floating)

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by m33kuh, Jul 1, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    How did you guys learn how to float on the open water?
    I believe that it is also a crucial part of survival because we never know what will happen whenever we are in a boat or in ship or by just simply swimming.

Share us your tips and guide how to float!

2. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Hallo M33, Hey You bringing Physics No problem lol,
    first of all I'd like to start with the meaning of BUOYANT: this refers to force just like Force of gravity, Accelaration drag, ...which Works in fluids and gas and it is of 3 simple Types Negative, Neutral and Positive Buoyant;
    we say that there is negative Buoyant when the body sunk in a fluide and it's neutral when the body stays where it was placed verticaly and positive when the body Is floating :)
    So In short if I ever have to deal with such situation where my boat crushes I would breath deep and Relax and start swimming, It would be the only way to save my life :)

3. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Haha! Thanks for bringing out the dictionary Clara!
    Yes I'm trying to bring Physics here because it's a matter of life and death if you won't float! :D

Hmm. Interesting way of saving your life. Lol. But what if you don't get the chance to relax?
    I believe it is one of the most important factor to consider if you want to float, being relaxed.

4. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    It's easier done than said really. Just keep in mind that salt water has higher buoyancy than rivers (correct me if I'm wrong). The easiest way for me is to relax, keep my head up and start doing the motion with my feet. Remember that you must relax first, as back then I had several occasions where I struggled because I kept laughing while I was swimming. You could also try to mimic how a dog would swim, I did that first before and that got me going.

Jonathan Solomon likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Take your pants off tie the legs in a knot slip over your head and make a air go into the waist of the pants it will act like a life vest it will lose air so you will have to keep doing it to stay a float and some clothes work better than others because of the fabric

Neiltarquin likes this.
  6. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Allright, Since we're learning how to float in such situation, I would advise everyone who uses boats to remember one of these items while prepping either life jacket or swim suits with flotation devices or inflatable armbands also known as water wings, all these can help to float , Or just use Balloon :)

Bishop likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I talked my nephews into putting water wing on there ankles I told them that they could walk on water my nephews by the way are only 3 years younger than I am I was one of them what do you mean your pregnant are you sure yeah one of them kids needles to say they could not walk on water.

Clara1993 likes this.
  8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If you are on a small you should already have a floatation device on! if not why not?
    If you are on a big boat you should know where the flotation devices are! go there and get one!

If you are just swimming stay close to the edge or wear some sort of wetsuit if you want to venture out!

Doing the trouser thing as bishop says requires a level of skill most simply do not have!

Oh one last thing never swim alone, stay in a group and be friends with a good swimmer!

9. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Staying afloat is hard for me becauae im not a good swimmer. So as much s possible I will avoid deep water. But in case of unavoidable incedents, i would always check where I can acquire floating device. If its not available, i would create a makeshift lifevest. One is using your pants (denims) or look for floating debris and gather enough quantity to support you and help you stay afloat. Back home we have this lake and i always go swimming there. I use a 1 gallon water container as my floating device.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This may sound incredible but this is true. I learned how to float on water in just 1 minute. We were in the pool and my husband casually asked if I would like to learn how to swim. We regularly go to the beach or pool resort during summer and it didn't enter my mind to learn. When I said yes, he explained that floating is just like dancing. You move in such a way to keep in stride with the buoyancy of the water. I submerged my head and watched him do the floating technique. That easy. I lay on the water face up and I imitated his choreography. Voila, I could float.

11. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes indeed it's true. Salt water has more buoyancy.
    Being relaxed is the main factor to keep in mind.

12. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I always thought that this came sort of... naturally, haha. I never got taught how to float on water. I just sort of, tried it and did it?

What I did was, I just completely relaxed, you can't be tense or it won't work and let the water sort of pull you upwards? always extend your limbs (arms and legs). After that don't panic because you won't sink down... the water will keep you completely afloat. I love doing this at the seaside. I literally just go into the sea and let my body stay afloat for 30+ minutes. Just gotta be careful or you can drift far away from the shore :) it's a great feeling of freedom!

13. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes! I was thinking the exact thing whenever I try to learn how to float. But it just won't happen! I guess it has something to do with breathing as well.
    I don't know why I can't feel really relaxed when I'm on the water. Maybe I watch too much shark movies. XD