How To Start a Fire Without a Lighter or Matches

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    When you go to start a fire, you might run into a problem if you're not a smoker or have lost, forgotten or misplaced your lighter or matches. Trying to light a fire without a flame can be a difficult task for someone who is not familiar with this. There are a couple of options that could save the day so don't threat. I'm not talking about rubbing sticks together which is virtually impossible for the majority of the people and ends up in utter failure, anger, and disappointment. Easier ways to light a fire would be to assess what you have in hand to work with. For example do you have any batteries? Do you have an old lighter that doesn't work? Do you have any sort of accelerant accessible? If you answered no to all of these questions, then you have to resort to the basics.
    upload_2016-1-20_21-46-9.png

Look for rocks that can be hit together and check for spark. If you can produce spark, flame can be made. By using very loose material such as straw which is shredded, dried grass shredded, or the handy dandy cotton ball a simple spark with the right amount of air can produce a flame. The other option is to wait for a lightning bolt to strike the ground and then run and get the fire off of it but that's very caveman like and we are above that now. Keeping a survival kit with waterproof strike anywhere matches on hand is a great idea if you are often out and about in nature. Even if you are not a smoker, when going for hikes, bicycle rides, or on camping trips waterproof strike anywhere matches are a good idea as they are lightweight to carry and take up no space. You will be very thankful that you have them should you find yourself stranded in the wild. They could be the difference between life or death when it comes to survival.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    glcollins and John Johnson like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you wear spectacles or carry a magnifying glass you can use these to start a fire using the sun(obviously wont work on a sunless day!)
    old schoolboy trick!!!

Keith H. likes this.
  3. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I always carry a small magnifying glass (a jewellers loupe) in my pocket to look at marks on china or silver. I must admit I'd never thought of using to start a fire. I shall try it out, since it's a nice sunny day. Better to have practised when the skill wasn't actually needed for survival, I think. The magnifying glass would also be useful for identifying bugs and so on.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    spark strikers, flint and steel. a spark off a battery will start a fire.
    I wear spectacles so I can use these on a sunny day to start a fire....old schoolboy trick.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I like my fire piston best, so damn quick and easy!
    I have a custom made stainless steel one, near everlasting!

6. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Just want to extend on the battery idea, in order to do so, you must short wire it. Basically, get any battery and a thin strip of any kind of metal foil and put each end of the foil on one end of he battery, that should give you a small flame which you can use to make your fire.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well obviously the best way is to ALWAYS make sure that you are carrying the means for making fire on your person in such a manner as to not lose this means. I carry my tinderbox in a greased fire bag which I carry at all times when away from home in my belt pouch.
    I can also make fire using the lock on my flintlock fusil (muzzle-loading gun) without using any gunpowder.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

bluebetta likes this.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    For the longest time I used to start a fire with batteries and gum wrapper, as showcased in this video.
    It's easy to carry batteries in your backpack and you probably have some gum on you since it's harder to brush your teeth when you're surviving outside. It's a neat little trick that helped me a lot, but sometimes it doesn't work and that can be really bad. I suggest having flint and steel on you at all times, it's the safest way as well as bits of newspaper or magazines so you can get the fire going quicker.

bluebetta likes this.
  9. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Well that was quick and easy. There are flints that you can keep on your key chain that can also be a life saver but they won't be as fast as this trick.
    EIg21eC8UYB86JIYC3m-mr5yqadkjiDj.jpeg