How to start a fire

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by Nero-Bianco, Jun 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Nero-Bianco

Nero-Bianco New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so this may sound stupid to many of you experienced survivalists, and probably also to those that just like camping.. but how do you start a fire? I've seen people in movies rub sticks together but I've never been able to start a fire that way.

(Obviously without lighters!)

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    May I respectfully suggest that you read the other posts on this forum re fire lighting, also go to "All Things Primitive" on this forum. There you will find all the information you need.
    Keith.

3. Birla Andrei Marian

Birla Andrei Marian New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Dryer lint can make excellent tinder. As a Boy Scout, I would collect it at home. Then when we went backpacking I would carry a small zip-lock bag of lint. It's lightweight and burns very easily. It was also nice finding an alternative use for the lint instead of just throwing it in the trash.

One downside of burning dryer lint is that it sometimes contains hair. The smell of burning hair can be quite unpleasant :-/

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not everyone has access to dryer lint. I wonder if dryer lint contains synthetic fibres?! In the true meaning of the term tinder, it originally meant a material that was capable of catching a spark from flint & steel or fire-bow. Tinder was the material carried & used in a tinderbox. Unfortunately it seems that few scouts are taught how to make fire with flint & steel these days.
    I strongly recommend that you learn about plant tinders. Not too many electric dryers out in the wilderness;)
    [​IMG]
    The author teaching flint & steel fire lighting to the Scouts in Tamworth NSW.
    Photo taken many years ago when I was a primitive skills instructor.
    Keith.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    That rubbing of sticks is the traditional. I have seen that in a demo where they used bamboo sticks. Take note, the bamboo sticks are fresh. AFter shaving some of the skin of the bamboo, the friction between 2 bamboo sticks started. After a minute or 2, smoke is emanating from the bamboo which later lighted the shavings. Again, take note that the bamboo is fresh including the shaving. I cannot guarantee that anyone can do it but I guess you can try and you have 90% chance of starting fire with the bamboo sticks.