How To Survive From Drowning?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by remnant, May 20, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    The vagaries of life are such that at one time or the other, we have to reckon with the danger posed by water bodies. I remember boarding a ferry at the coast and couldn't help wondering what to do in a worst case scenario like if there are strong currents or mechanical malfunction and the vessel lists and begins to sink. Most people don't know how to swim and life jackets are quickly snapped up in case of an emergency. What to do in such situations?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    "Most people don't know how to swim"

Why the fark not! learning to swim is one of the essentials of childhood!

Suppose you cant fix "Stupid"

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If there is no access to anything that floats, take off your trousers & tie a knot in each leg. Pull/push the waist of the trousers under water. This will push air into the legs & inflate them enough to keep you afloat.
    Keith.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    stay out of and off the water? I nearly drowned when I was 12, these days I don't take any chances with water.

5. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Well I didn't learn how to swim in my childhood too, and I can assure that not learning to swim is not something relating to stupidity of people. There are countries without sea or lakes nearby, and the pools or the swimming lessons might be expensive for a lot of people.
    Essential doesn't mean mandatory.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    risk assessment.

7. Dontavian W Hill

Dontavian W Hill New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Had to look this one up lol
    So Apparently, The top half of your feet should be poking out of the water and your head should be above water as well.
    Look downstream and keep calm, breathe with the flow of the water, to keep from swallowing too much water.
    When you come up on a calmer area, flip over and swim diagonally toward shore, with the flow of the current.
    And thats how you survive drowning.

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Sorry mate but being able to swim is a core survival skill, you don't need to be really good but you need to be proficient!
    You must have shitty parents if they failed to teach you! and if you are now an adult why have you not learnt yourself!
    Do it like today!
    I visit the beach often and just about every time some tourist paddles out and gets into trouble!
    They can afford a plane ticket and laptops/ipads etc but drown easy!
    Most drownings on the east coast of Australia bar fishing accidents are tourists who cant swim at all or only just!

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    how to survive drowning? stay out and off the water.:D

Neiltarquin likes this.
  10. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Deym right...

11. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I doubt it when you said, "most people don't know how to swim". It's probably not that they don't know how to, it's that they're afraid to even try. I've learned how to swim purely on my own as I thought I was drowning at one point. You just have to relax and float, there's no other way to explain it. The saltier the water is, the higher the buoyancy I believe, so keep in mind that it will always be easier to float on salt water compared to rivers.

12. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I learnt how to swim in my late teens. I was the oldest in my swim group so it was bit embarrassing at first:). The rest of the class were young children. So the first step to safeguard against drowning is to know how to swim. But even then, to also ensure there is a life jacket around.

13. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Not straight up drowning but drowning because of riptides.

They are not really dangerous if you know how to handle the situation. Thing is, people start to panic and swim against the riptides, which is exactly what you should't do. If you do swim against the riptide, you'll tire yourself and possibly drown

Back then, I deliberately went into the riptides. It grabs you and pulls you out. If you do not struggle(against the riptide) it's kinda fun. If you want to get out of the riptide, swim parallel the riptide for a bit and catch a wave back to the shore.

If you find yourself in one, don't panic. Go with it, let it pull you out. Swim parallel to shore then swim or catch a wave in.