How To Survive In A Sinking Ship

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Huggy212, Jul 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Huggy212

Huggy212 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I work in a cruiseline industry and every week we do general emergency drills once or twice a month we do additional trainings for survival at sea.

If you heard any ship alarm never panic listen first to the announcement. Different stage alarms have different instructions of what you must do. You must always follow the announcement or the instruction of the crew because believe me or not our priority is the safety of everyone onboard.

If you're instructed to go to your stateroom which is probably the 2nd stage alarm the prepare yourself already to leave the ship. Bring only important things with you including documents, medicine and your glases. You must wear warm clothings and if you can bring some extra water.

If any case the master or the captain orders the abandon ship then you must calmly proceed to your lifeboat station. Never jump instantly into the sea if it is not needed. Remember that the most safest place in the middle of the sea is still the ship. If you successfully made it to your lifeboat station, just follow the crew's intructiom. When you are already on the lifeboat additional instructions will be provided by the crew members for survival at sea. Never lose hope,never give up, never panic because this is dangerous to you and to other persons onboard.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post Huggy, thank you.
    Keith.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never had much love of the sea, my 2 former brothers in law were drowned when their coaster went down in a storm.

4. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I feel like this is a universal advice, valid not only for ship sinking but in any situation of this type.
    Like lonewolf I'm not a big sea lover, but I found your post really interested anyway. Question: did you partecipated only in emergency drills or have experience something more real and serious before?

5. Huggy212

Huggy212 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes this is for all situations specially dont panic. We have a training crisimanagement and human behavior where people who are in panic are considered a danger to others because they tend to slow down evacuation preparations. There are other people who tend not to move and just sit there maybe wait for their time (already gave up). We show courage to them and explain everything whats the situation and give them instructions where should they go.

Fortunately i havent experienced real abandonship, the only alarm which I experience was the first stage alarm where there is an incident happened on the ship. The very first time I heard that i felt nervous because we are in the middle of the sea and alarm like that was sounded

6. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    First thing to do would be to try not to panic. When you panic, you'll end hurting yourself more. Crews have protocol on what to do on events like this. Follow exactly what they tell you to do.

Other than that, hope for the best. There are really circumstances where you have almost no control to the situation.

7. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the post. I doubt too many people are anxious to jump into the sea though. Have any cruiseships really sunk? I have heard of ferry accidents were many people were killed, and even Great Lakes boats, but not cruiseships exactly. When I went to Bermuda on a cruise though we did scrape the sea floor. That was a bit scary.

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    OK, so what I'd like to know is how to get off a large ship and get out and away from it. I've read horror stories about men getting sucked into the area where the ship is creating a vacuum as it sinks. Thinking about such gives me the willies.

I am a total landlubber. I've been on ferryboats and that's it. I'll never be on any sort of cruise ship. I loathe crowds of people and avoid such with a passion. Having said that, watch God put me on some big ###ed ship and send me out to sea. God's sense of humor is to be avoided; it's almost as bad as getting sucked down into the ocean.

Huggy 212, if you have more info, do share. One could find something on the web, but often it is bad info. When I find stuff on the web, 50% of the info I know to be bogus due to my familiarity with the topic. This ocean-going stuff I know nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, about.

9. Huggy212

Huggy212 New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes the one that is most famous is the Costa Concordia where around 50 or less people died. They are just near an italian shore and they are grounded along the shore. There were lots of panic because there were no clear instruction. The ship didnt really sink at all but it turn on its side making one side of the ships lifeboats unusable. Some people who died are those who are trap inside with some rooms are flooded. The captain of the ship left the ship very early so there are really no clear communications between the rescue team and the ship.

10. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Assess the situation. Look for a floating device to assist you to be bouyant. Jump to the water minutes before the ship would actually sink.

11. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I think one should carry an inflated tube or life jacket before going out to sea. You see, in most situations, some people especially women panic and cling tightly to those who think can save them. Iup not good to scream as this will provoke such panic.

12. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for your advice because it is such a great help for me that have never experienced a sinking ship so I might automatically be scared and panic. Although I haven't experienced that, I always adhere to the precautions being announced on board like wearing a life vest because my swimming skills is not good enough for survival.

13. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Panic is one of the major causes of deaths when it comes to sinking ships or drowning. I can't imagine how tragic and scary it would feel to be in that situation. Wonderful post by the way.

14. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a very informative thread. My only experience in a ship was my trip to an island resort. We took the Super Ferry for an 8-hour trip. The trip was at night but we couldn't sleep maybe out of excitement and the waves as well. I cannot imagine what would happen if there would be an emergency. Now I have learned something here that it is important to listen to the announcement. And, of course, maintain the presence of mind.