How to Survive Without Electricity

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Aneye4theshot, Jan 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aneye4theshot

Aneye4theshot Expert Member
      125/140

Blog Posts:
    upload_2016-1-25_5-43-31.png
    When natural disasters occur whether it be winter storms, thunderstorms or tornados, the first thing that most people lose is electricity. There are many ways that you can obtain power in these events when typical power grids go down. If you have a generator, they are perfect for emergency power. If you do not have a generator, you can also use solar panels for power. Solar panels can be bought and installed fairly cheaply if you have knowledge on how to build them. Having a backup power source is one of the basics of survival prepping. Next to food, water and shelter it is probably one of the most important things needed for survival but it is not required. This is especially true in today's technological era. If you have a way to power devices such as phones and GPS devices you have access to the outside world as well as survival information as long as you still have cell service. Having power can allow you to cook, keep food cool, charge electronics and more. Electricity is taken for granted until you don't have it.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    living without electricity isn't hard, 100 years ago we'd have called it "normal life", it just takes a bit of adapting to.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with lonewolf, living without electricity is just another way of life. We lived without electricity for about 25 years. Five of those years we were living in the tropics where there are only two seasons, wet & dry. Both are hot. You learn to cope, & you avoid certain obvious foods that will go off, such as butter & milk.
    We do live in a solar powered home now, though our other house is still without electricity. IF our solar power were to break down & there was no way of fixing it in a shtf situation, we would cope just as we did before.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

4. hippyzomby

hippyzomby New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    We are always losing power here. Storms, all kinds of storms are famous for putting us without power. I love it. No tv no internet. We get to sit here and talk. Can foods do not need to be heated or cooled. Fire is easy to get going out here and we can basically start a fire with anything. I really want to look into soloar power, I think it is a good idea all around end of the world or otherwise. It might give our planet a small chance of a longer life. I know when we started talking about building our next home I mentioned I wanted to have solor panels, it is something really good to get into.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Knowing how to generate your own electricity can come in handy especially if this will give you an advantage over everyone else. As there are hardly any paper maps available these days, having a GPS could ensure you get to any place where you could get help.

However if you won't be getting help anywhere and can't lug appliances like freezers around, one could survive without electricity.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lived for 12 years on a family smallholding, living off grid in an old wooden caravan(trailer), cooking on an open fire in the summer and a paraffin(kerosene) stove in the winter, shot my own meat(small game) and grew my own veg and fruit, lighting was with an old oil lamp, drinking and bathing was from the river nearby and toilet was a hole in the ground, and I loved every minute of it, I would do it again tomorrow if I could(land is no longer owned by family).

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A great shame your family no longer owns that land lonewolf.
    Keith.

8. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I would love to learn about solar power. Talk about sustainablity, this would qualify. We live in an area where we get a lot of sunshine, too. A generator is a good thing to have, but you have to have gas to run that. We are 20 miles out in the country so that might not work out for us all the time. Though we do keep extra gas around. One thing I learned about solar is, that when you generate your own, then what you don't use can be sold back to the electric company. Is that cool or what?

9. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Solar power can truly come in handy especially if you are under situations where technology/power is pretty much nonexistent. I would love to learn more about solar power, i think it will be quite complicated for beginners but with a lot of research and dedication to learn at least the basics of it, you'll come through. Anyone should be able to have their own solar power if they genuinely want to. It's good to have a backup skill like this since you'll never know when power outage strikes and generator fails you.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, I would be there today if we did. and I would have been there for about 40 years!!

11. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Super coupon from harbour freight basic solar kit 139.99. This kit comes with alll you ,need to rubmn a small system you need a deep cycle battery that does not come with kit

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    electricity has only been in British houses for less than 100 years, some even less than that.
    living without electricity is not hard to do, it just takes a will to adapt.
    solar panels and small wind turbines are ok I guess, but they wont last forever, maybe 25-30 years for the main components but the inverters and batteries have a very short life and unless one has a huge store of spare batteries and spare parts they will be without electric anyway, its just delaying the inevitable.

13. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    My first kit is 20 years old ive added 7 others to it and a wind turbine we allways have power works great for most of the lights we have 12 volt. This gives us light to luve by and lets us run the freezers and fridge with no trouble i even run welder a small 110 unit it works fine

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "use what you can to get to a point in time where you can live without it"(because it no longer exists or the spare parts are all used up), this just makes sense.