How useful is hand to hand combat?

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Coputere, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Hand to Hand combat training can be useful in a brawl but do you think that knowing how to fight has any place in the wild? Can martial arts or any other fight training prepare you either physically or mentally for the dangers that you may come across as you are surviving nature? Should there be a style of training to better prepare you to attack the pressure points and vital areas of any aggressor even a predator? Let me know.

2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Being a practitioner of any martial art will help you understand the body in it effectiveness in close quarter combat and how fragile it is. I think as a commercial stand point most school will sugar coat and has tone down the violence in self defense. You most likely will not see how to poke someone's eye out and rip out his throat as most hardcore practitioners are going through the movements of said interactions.

The brutality has been toned down so that adults with children will enroll their kids in classes. Most whipped parents just want their child to be a part of something that isn't that violent. So the aspect of maiming someone, won't be shown to the open public and it certainly won't be the highlight as to why you should join my school.

For the most part, combative arts is now a sport and those techniques of stopping your opponent quickly is not present anymore. In a real life situation, it is all about getting the first hit in, in the most effective spot, creating space, and being aware of any other dangers and people that are trying to get a cheap shot in. Taking your hand and your 3 main fingers and jab them straight into your attackers eye socket, will most likely shock and immobilize your opponent real quick, giving you enough time to stick him again in the other eye, or ripping his ear off with a grab, twist, and pull technique. From there, push him away and create some space.

As for fighting against animals, forget about it. Animals will attack if they feel threatened. Or in most cases it's because of territory, hunger, and pack/child protection. In any scenario, if you see each other, don't make any sudden movements or threatening gestures.

I can't speak much against bears, and mountain lions, but I do have some knowledge of dogs. Dogs for the most part, upon meeting one that isn't on a leash that is being territorial, they will bark and most likely get real close to you while barking. You shouldn't run, that will only provoke them. I have ran into a few loose dogs and they have done that to me. All you need to do is turn away from them and not look them in the eye. They are making a stance of dominance. Let them bark, but eventually because you had looked away and not challenge them, they will stop and walk away. This has happened numerous times and it has worked for me. All creatures that are trying to make claim of a area will test you.

I'm sure most of you have seen human behave in the same way. They circle each other and talk a whole lot of smack and never make any forward movement unless someone initiates it. That is a test of dominance.

Coputere likes this.
  3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Animals have natural skills to fight and defend themselves from predators. Many animals have special physical features that make them fierce predators themselves, such as speed, powerful muscles, as well as sharp teeth and claws. However, these things do not make them unbeatable. Many times, the smaller animal are able to fend off an attack from a vicious killer such as tigers, lions, or alligators and crocodiles. There are untrained people who have been able to fend off attacks from bears and other such animals, but it would be huge risk to personal injury.

A very highly skilled Martial Artist would be able to fend off an attack, and convince the animal that it would be too dangerous to continue to attack. Most animals do not want to risk serious injury which might prevent them from being able to run fast, and hunt in the future.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Psychological benefits of hand-to-hand training should be obvious to everyone, it teaches you how to overcome the natural hesitation from striking back at the opponent. There'a reason every army in the world still trains soldiers in hand-to-hand fighting, even though there's surprisingly little of it on actual modern battlefield. And we humble civvies can't count on having a weapon at the ready all times, in fact, depending on where you live, it might be inaccessible for legal reasons, so we get the full of practical aspect i.e. knowing how to defend yourself.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I always reckon if you have to resort to hand to hand, not only have you run out of options but you've let your enemy get too close.
    I would always recommend avoidance if at all possible.

katlarson9 and Arboreal like this.
  6. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    100% agreed, but it still pays off to be prepared for it. Sometimes avoidance is impossible and no one can guarantee you that you will ever be able to keep the attackers at distance.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    true, it depends on the actions of the others, an army patrol would be silent with no warning, but if they were a civilian mob you'd hear them coming some way off and could go a different way to avoid them.

8. katlarson9

katlarson9 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that knowing the pressure points of anything is a great skill to have. Then as stated earlier you will still be in grave danger due to the prowess of a predator. If they have natural instincts and physical attributes that make them fearsome you are still risking your life.

9. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That is a practical way to look at it. I guess I was seeing it from the angle of being taken by surprise and having no other way to defend yourself. As in the more recent case of the child being drowned to death by the alligator. This is not a likely occurrence but it has happened. It seems to me that people who know how to fight rely heavily on muscle reflex, if these muscle reflexes were directed towards attacking the vital areas of a potential predator, then it might come in handy.

10. ZipMedia

ZipMedia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I tend to avoid martial arts that focus on discipline and duty rather than self-defense. I don't want to attend a glorified belt factory, I want to attend a class that can actually teach me valuable close quarter skills. I have Krav Maga and MCMAP to thank.

11. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    There is saying, of which the origin I am not positive, "if you find yourself in a knife fight, everything went wrong that day." There is some truth to that. To the point of the thread, yes, there is some value in such training and being in shape. I used to box amateur in my younger days and it has stayed with me. That said, if a criminal interloper should appear, I would prefer dissuading his activities with properly loaded 12-gauge shotgun or other appropriate firearm. If he isn't prepared for such a response, too bad. To quote John Steinbeck, "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." ;)

12. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Any form of combat training is worthy because it will save your life, not everyone wants to learn Kung-fu, and there is not one person who can say that because they learned a certain way to fight is the reason they are still alive. You can learn how to box toe to toe, and still be killed.

Just learning combat will help your likely hood of surviving a brutal attack, you just need to know.

13. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I do not think spending much time and effort learning to fight is really worth it!
    I have seen what learning MA can do to people!
    I have witnessed two friends both blackbelts get very brave because they were champions at MA
    much to there surprise that did not make them bulletproof, one was shot with a puny .22lr belt buckle gun then beat to death!
    the other fell to a lucky shot from a home made two shot .22lr derringer!

Time and effort is better spent arming yourself or on running shoes!

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    learn situational awareness , watch what is going on around you, get your face out of that smart phone screen and take those earphones out and you might just be able to avoid trouble when it comes.

15. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    Hand to hand does hav many advantages apart from building faster reflexes and discipline you hav to remember that we still hav to survive today tomorrow next week till TEOTWAWKI and some countries hav very strict gun/knife laws and even countries that are not strict hav areas or buildings that don't permitted guns or knives I live in a country that has very strict laws and worked in private security here if u are about to be attacked u hav to drop what in ur hands (or high risk of being charged with assault with a weapon) and hav to be stuck first (and possibly hav to prove it if it goes to court tricky if like me u don't bruise easy ) and can only use equal or less force that is used on u
    I checked out different martial arts and found that they were mostly based on belt system and start on very soft technique till u get to much higher belts and I needed something that was more hard hitting (and I found out that here that if u are registered or training with any martial club or boxing club ur bare hands (even defending yourself) will be treated as assault with a weapon
    After a lot of research I came across
    Defence and Restraint Techniques (D.A.R.T.)Course of the International Bodyguard Association (IBA) it is a quick disarm or fatal wound training to get the fuck out of harm way I did it 9 years ago and it has saved my life and my friends lives since and it is better to be trained and not use it than need it and not trained ur life may depend on it

16. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    If it gets down to hand to hand you have seriously screwed up on several fronts and you have become a prime contender for
    the Darwin award!
    If you are down to this level it is but a very short time before you win this award so winning at hand to hand this time is only delaying the inevitable!
    but then again one would have got to this position due to stupidity and due to that same stupidity one would still be thinking one was a winner!:D

17. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Any training that gets you in good condition and health is a plus. Any training that puts you in hand to hand is a absolute last resort. I can not stress this enough be aware avoid never engage in this activity. My instructor always said the best way to win a fight was not to be in it. Martial arts is a disciple of the mind and body to react to violence. Please do not react be proative. There are far to many reason why hand to hand of any kind is a major no no. Now for the twist train hard at hand to hand keep your mind and body sharp. The military trains soldiers to exhaustion because they run to the fight and then fight, then ran back to base to be safe sort of lol. Then we train do kp, clean barraks or latrines. They train a lot but always maintain ready. I like the quote earlier if the fight is fair your doing it wrong.

18. EarlAlexander

EarlAlexander New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Hand to hand combat has really helped most individual in other to defend themselves against an unexpected attack by any individual. Hand combat should be learnt to prepare someone physically for any task ahead, it make be a survival test or difficult one, he should at least be able to defend himself. Martial art is one good skill one is suppose to acquire in life for self defence against odds, its not really difficult it just needs dedication and time to understand the steps involved.

19. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Hand to hand to be avoided whenever possible.
    But that said if someone is upon me I'll suck their eyes out and spit
    them down their throat!

I've been attacked and beaten too many times and it ain't ever going to
    happen again.
    When I was a police officer I had to play by the rules.
    I'm disabled as a result.
    I won't take any injury from anyone at any time, any place.
    I'd instantly go for the throat and eyes.
    Unless I'm armed then I'll shoot somebody.
    What? Not fair some may think?
    Whot 'n 'ells FAIR about surviving?????
    NOTHING IS FAIR.
    Wanna play fair? Get a Monopoly game and play that!
    Chit! I recall when dad got older and once in a great while actually spoke
    of his combat against the Germans in WWII in France and Belgium.
    He recounted using his light tank machine guns to blow unarmed kids to
    dog meat.
    Why?
    The S.S. Nazis would load the kids with explosive and have the run up to
    tanks and infantry yelling "chocolate G.I." and when close enough the
    S.S. would detonate the kids and kill the troops.
    Fair?
    bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-hawwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Nope it ain't fair.
    Dad survived in spite of loosing 5 light tanks blown out from under him.
    3 X the only survivor of the 4 man crew.
    He had scars all over his arms and legs and after the war ended he couldn't use his
    right hand for a year.
    My uncle Tom fought the japs and was almost cut in half by a jap machine gun.
    Uncle Earnest was in artillery and shelled and almost killed.
    Uncle Ray lost his left lung in Germany.
    Yeah, I'll fight fair. uhhh huh. Sure.
    If some miscreant is upon me he'll get his nose bitten off and his eyes sucked out.
    Fair? Get real.
    My friggin' busted back is killing me right now and I often which I'd have shot the
    balls off the ethnic butt wipe that busted me up.
    End of rant. (for now):rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  20. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    How useful is hand to hand?????????

funny.

Now you marshal arts guys that's another story.
    I admire that very much.
    A question for you marshal arts people.
    Being as I'm a bit crippled is it possible to get trained in unarmed self defense
    given my age and injury limitations?

As a cop we were trained in unarmed self defense but that was a long time ago.
    I did use techniques on combative "people" when necessary back in the day.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hand to hand combat in a SHTF civilian context is an action of last resort, its when you have run out of options and have been taken by surprise, its then a case of fighting to survive.

jeager likes this.
  22. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Good post, simple, clear, and to the point.
    This is a survival forum isn't it.:D
    In a shtf a good belt knife carried at all times would be a requirement.
    My opinion only of course.
    Given that I've seen a fair number of homicides by blade.
    Believe it or not some victims died really quickly depending upon factors
    such as where the wound is and how much and how quickly bleeding occurred.
    I recall a dear lady friend that got stabbed through the heart with a butcher knife.
    Bee-Ann managed to pull the knife out and run about 20 feet before dropping
    dead.
    'Nuter person, a college student, got stabbed in the heart, the knife left in his
    chest.
    Quick thinking at the e.r. and a heart surgeon saved his life.
    He lived but heart damage probably shortened his life and he likely didn't
    become a football star.
    Then there was Lenny Lynn whose jealous g-friend nicked him in the neck
    with an itty bitty paring knife. Blade 1 1/4 " long.
    Jugular. Bled out kinda slowly.
    If one is to use a knife to permanently "neutralize" a two legged predator then
    use a blade at least 10" long, dagger like, double edged and MEAN IT if you
    use it.
    Fast incapacitation requires two essential occurrences.
    Disruption of the central nervous system and sudden loss of blood pressure.
    I knew of two people shot through the heart and lived.
    Small caliber handguns.

23. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    About knives for defense.
    This one has many uses besides chopping off heads, arms, legs.........................
    Kukri

24. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Having the skills and the physical fitness to effectively engage in hand-to-hand combat is most certainly a plus. And some of the skills learned can be used elsewhere in life. For example, I used to box amateur in my youth. I learned a lot of good fitness routines that I still use today.

But let's not kid ourselves: unarmed combat skills alone is a good way to become prey in a society that is armed to the teeth. A carefully selected battery of defense firearms, and a lot of training on said, is going to beat any form of martial arts.

25. Squirtgunsquirter

Squirtgunsquirter Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    "Hand to Hand" to me means certain specific skills. Weapon retention. Creating distance to draw said weapon. Martial Arts against animals? It would help your balance, and be a good way to stay in shape, but no, IMO useless against any animal. You don't really need any training to poke eyes or strangle, and if I were attacked by a dog maybe MAYBE I get a finger in it's eye as it savages my other arm. Pretty dicey proposition. Better in my opinion to use that training time to get a better pistol draw-to-first-shot time.

26. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you don't have a firearm with you, for heaven's sake carry a knife. I always have some sort of flick-open knife. I like Kershaw assisted-open, "SpeedSafe", line of made-in-America knives. Carried these for years, they work, they take an edge (good enough for me, I'm hard on knives, break'em & dull'em constantly).

My high school instructors, retired military, taught us to stab into the enemy's groin area -- lot's of big blood vessels down there. Same is true of the anal venous plexus. People bleed like a stuck hog when stabbed down below, plus what with the paralyzing unendurable pain, the person often is unable to scream -- more like a gasping grunt with their eyes bulging out. Knife out, back-stab into groin with all the strength in your body, get away, slash enemy's eyes, throat, hit/slash them again and again until you are able extract yourself from the situation. If attacked from front, get chin down, spin, stab backhanded into their lower bowels or genitalia. If they start to cover their lower body, go for their throat. Oh by the by, blood is SLICK. Get a death grip on your knife; good to have any sort of a heel/finger-guard however small, so as to keep your fingers from sliding up onto the blade. You don't want to sever the tendons in your own hand -- sever the working parts of your enemy's hands.

You are going to get soaked in a knife fight. Make that your enemy's blood, not your own.

The men in my family simply shot people. I think that is the best advice. Some guy tried to stab my grandfather, so he just shot the idiot in his family jewels. Stopped the fight rather quickly.

27. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fighting is a young man's game. It is strange how your view of it changes as the years roll on. When I was young fighting and being willing to fight was important and I did some of it. I recognise now that most of it, even when it was serious, was not real. I say that because none of the fights ended with a death nor even any lost eyes or body parts. In retrospect I see now that even in the case of repelling a mugger I was still being constrained by rules.

Now hand to hand combat is strictly a holding tactic to keep an enemy from harming me until I can kill him. If you hit the ground you will never get up. I am almost never unarmed now and if I get in a hand to hand situation it means that I have messed up. The thing about martial arts is there are rules. If I am ever in another fight I will be fighting for my life and there is only ONE rule. Kill you before you kill me.

I've always known that honestly it is a lot easier to kill a man than it is to beat him into submission.

Old Geezer likes this.
  28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm just pulling time in this world now. I'm not going to put up with any more crap. I'm not part of this. Just want to be here to help family in the time I have. And I'm getting crippled. And if the SHTF, I will give much, much, much less of a sh##.

SHTF, somebody trespasses against my family, they get lead poisoning. I'll have no thoughts, it will be a reflex, like a rubber hammer hitting your knee tendon, poof! you kick and it wasn't your brain that set that off. I have a gun on me while watching TV.

29. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hand to hand self defence training is very worthwhile for defending yourself & your family against human animals. I do not see that it serves any other purpose. Training with martial arts weaponry can be useful against predator wildlife. I have had experience with both, & I prefer to go armed when out bush.
    Keith.

30. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I think it does because if have the skills part of the skills are knowing fight or flight also your senses are more alert reflex's are faster

31. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    What this kind of martial training does is give one exercise and coordination....exercise mostly. And this can translate into other skills and muscle training...not just for self defense but other disciplines with tools.

Most of us with any sense at all ...hope and pray we never have to use it for any such preservation. This applies to firearms training as well...or with any other working tool.

Many of the martial arts tools/weapons...were born of ordinary daily working tools in these cultures...and then extended by training ...into weapons/self defense forms..uses.

Nonetheless ...any sane person hopes and prays that they never have to use them.

Agree Keith H. With going armed out in the bush....lots of wildlife out there....lots of nature born nasties..and sometimes two legged wildlife.

Thanks to all for their posts,

Watcherchris

32. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I have done Krav Maga for 17 years and just started muay thai, having great fun having my sweet A kicked by 17-year-olds :D
    All physical activities are good for you, period. Being in shape, I have said before and will say again, physical fitness is the most important prep you have. It will also raise your confidence, no matter who you are. I'm taking BJJ next! Done some roman wrestling and boxing too, great exercise and great fun and I've gotten to know alot of amazing people.

The psychology behind being ready to fight and having confidence in doing so is well known. Being an alpha is not something you just do, it's nothing like sitting on the internet and playing the big dog, the louder the keyboard, the lesser the man. Being the alpha has to do with being all you can be and one of the ways to reaching there is knowing to cash the checks your mouth is making. Knowing you are the strongest one in the "room" or atleast up there among them. Another way would be to be overly intelligent I suppose, I would'nt know since I am not above agerage intelligence myself. Knowing and understanding who you are and what you are capable of is crucial to win trust. Pretending that you are is sure to lose trust.

And martial arts is a way of getting there. Without proven confidence you have no confidence. Knowledge without experience is just information.

Do I imagine myself beating the crap out of a black bear? No, haha :D

33. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Omegaman,

I know a lot of people with knowledge and no experience. Such Intelligence to me is overrated.

The bad thing about this to me...is that some of these people with intelligence and no experience are in leadership positions and have been for some time.

I am not necessarily impressed with a college degree/degrees...and without experience and good instincts.

This is where certain sports or martial arts training can come in.

I have never been interested in being the strongest one in the room or up there. It is often overrated.

I mostly want to be left alone in my private business. This is where I would be want to exert my Alpha instincts ..when someone trespasses on my private business and or territory. Other than that I am not at all what one would call a "social butterfly. I prefer to be left alone. I am not interested in the pack ...for the most part..except that they leave me alone.

I've had Judo and Ju Jitsu training many years ago...but carry a .357 and sometimes switch it out with a 41 Magnum ...for black bears....and or two legged wildlife.

Did I tell you that I don't like two legged wildlife..??? Wild/Feral animals...many of whom have been or are going to college.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris.

34. AntonyRaison

AntonyRaison Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Is it useful in a survival situation?
    I would say yes, but not from the stand point at fending off predators (although that can be a use) however it is usually best to avoid predatory animals "space" I would say the physically conditioning it gives one increases one chances if you find yourself out in the bush for days/weeks/etc.
    Being fit usually comes with the added benefit of being healthy.
    It also Improove ones mobility, which in turn helps when you need to maneuver in varying terrains, or need to climb or crawl or hunt... or simply need to hike for long distances.. all of these added benefits are great.
    And the added bonus is you would know how to handle yourself if you find yourself stumbling apon some one that wishes to attack you and take whatever supplies and or gear you may have.

35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hand to hand combat is usually referred to in the case of human "predators".
    I think in that event they have got too close and the defender has been taken by surprise and hand to hand is then an option of last resort.

36. AntonyRaison

48/58

Blog Posts:
    Well over here, you likely to be grabbed by a big cat or a hippo, or some other very large predator, you dont have any chance against the bigger predators in southern Africa..
    however they are mostly kept in national parks..

37. AntonyRaison

48/58

Blog Posts:
    however the chance of this happening even here is very few and far between, mosquitoes and malaria, and snakes are more prolific killers... Lions.. you be lucky if you ever saw one in the bush unless you went to a specific park at the right time with a good guide showing the animals.

38. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we don't have the large wild predators in the UK that you have, our predators post SHTF will be of the two legged kind.:D

39. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Hand to hand skills will be very useful after shtf to be able to defend yourself in todays world is becomeing more important daily

40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    only if one lets them get that close to us which is where knowledge of situational awareness comes in handy. instead of walking around with ones nose stuck in a mobile phone screen or headphones blasting out music in ones ears be aware of what is going on around us.

41. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Though I have been trained in Martial Arts...I carry one of these in an underarm holster when I expect certain types of two legged wildlife as well as four legged wildlife here in America.

Usually I carry a .357 Magnum revolver and loaded appropriately for two legged wildlife.

But Occasionally I switch to this tool...in a six inch barrel....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_57

But I know and understand certain martial arts techniques including certain tools and arm locks and strangulation techniques.

One hopes one never has to get that close....and this Model 57 helps in this.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

42. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The worth of hand to hand fighting skills is simple. The person is dangerous butt naked or they are not. If they are totally dependent on things to make them dangerous they are not going to make it. Hand to hand is there when nothing else is. It is more of a mental philosophy than it is a martial skill.

Chances are good that if you have someone on you and you have no weapon then the fight is in serious trouble. This means that you have allowed an opponent to act while you are just reacting and that puts you behind from the start. If you continue to fight hand to hand you are in trouble. Unless you have attacked me in the middle of a parking lot that is empty the fight is NOT going to be hand to hand for long.

Get something in your hand and the tide will turn. If nothing else a handful of dirt thrown in an attackers face can be a game changer. I always have several small "extras" around me just in case. I also am extremely aware about what is around me. I know where the back door is and if on a plane how many rows of seats I am away from the various exits. I also have spotted any quick grab things that can be turned into a weapon. When I was younger I always "dressed for success." Steel toe engineer boots or cowboy boots, a BIG bull rider belt buckle that on the end of my heavy leather belt was like a mace. I usually carried three knives, had a garrote wire in my hat and just all sorts of things in my car.

Learn how to hit and kick but always move from hand to hand to anything else as fast as possible.

43. TCinNC

TCinNC Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    I can't resist commenting on this one. I have too many decades spent training in too many styles/methods to let the wide-open speculation of so many untrained "experts" provide so much unfounded information. A few replies were very insightful, and I may be repeating some of them, but here's my rundown (in no particular order) of martial arts/hand-to-hand combat take-aways.

1. Every student I've taught has been told the same thing. If you want to be good, spend as much time in the gym getting into shape with strength, cardio, and flexibility exercises as you spend with me. I am NOT your fat-ass fitness instructor, so don't be expecting to learn "mystical secrets" to stop an attacker with one finger when you can't even do one push-up. Everything is hard work. No athlete achieves success simply by playing their sport. They all train in gyms, and you should too!

2. Non-firearm weapons use (knife, club, sword, whatever) is only an extension of your hands. If you can't fight unarmed, you're not likely to be successful armed (non-firearm) because the same principles of timing, footwork, and offensive technique apply to both. (FYI - There's no such thing as a defensive technique. You're either fighting to win or you're losing.)

3. Much of my unarmed training has carried over to my training with firearms, not at a shooting range, but in combat training scenarios. Timing, footwork, balance, threat assessment all come into play when drawing, moving, shooting. Because I had so much unarmed training before I began firearm training, I can't say what it would be like without unarmed training, but it certainly hasn't hurt. This carries over to working out as well -- very hard to practice running for cover in a firefight if you can't run three steps without being winded.

4. If you want to learn personal defense, avoid traditional martial arts schools. I was a black belt before I started learning how to actually fight. You don't need belts and certificates. But you do need more than one instructor. Every person gives their own interpretation of which techniques/methods are most effective. But it only applies to them. You need many instructors giving you many inputs to form your own effective methods. Going back to point 1, there is no "mystical secret" to stopping an attacker with one finger. It's all hard work, and no two answers will be the same.

5. Experience helps offset aging. I seem to get older every day, not sure if that's happening to anyone else. ;-) As time goes on, I can't do everything that I did 35 years ago, but the things that I can do, I do damn well! I now spend MUCH more time in the gym than in MA training, because I already know everything that I need to know. I just need to stay in shape to apply it. Learn what you can, find what works, then focus on it and nothing else. There's nothing new under the sun in personal defense that requires continued new training, but there is a lot of crap that gets floated as New and Improved Must Have methods/techniques, because instructors need to fill classes to make money.

6. Animals are not taught to fight... it's all instinct, and that's hard to overcome. Every animal has it's own method of surviving, and you can't learn enough to outfight them all. A bear will be stronger, a rattlesnake faster, a cat will have sharper teeth and claws. The second thing that I teach students is situational awareness (it's second on the list because the ones who ignore the first thing, go to the gym and get in shape, won't be around long enough to hear the second thing). This helps avoid all threats, wild or human. But if you're having a really bad day, then a few (and only a few) of the things that work on people will apply to animals. A stiff palm thrust to the nose will stop a shark attack and a few mid-size land animals. Your best bet is a finger in the eyes of almost any animal if you still have your arm attached to your body and can reach its head. A semi-"unarmed" method is a stick down the throat, or sacrificing your arm, as many animals attack with open mouths. Short of nose, eyes, inside of throat, dial 911 and hope that they can trace your call to gather your remains before the phone battery dies. It may allow the authorities to track the animal before it kills another person. That's as much comfort as I can offer. ;-)

7. With decades of hard core MA training, I also carry a gun and knife every day, and am able to improvise weaponry from common items. Quadruple redundancy. All four work for me, each depending on the situation.

Now figure out what might work best for you!

Keith H. likes this.
  44. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post TC.
    Keith.

45. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    For when it hits the fan, get yourself a firearm. If it is illegal for you to do so, then you gotta weigh the odds. Maybe this is one of these "in a sealed tube under the forest floor" items.

Keith H. likes this.
  46. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    "in a sealed tube under the forest floor" items.

Not much good to you there:oops:

47. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    IF there is ever a major shtf situation, then there is unlikely to be any law & order. Items that were illegal & ownership could land you in prison will no longer be prohibited. So having a stash makes sense, the same as purchasing antique arms here in Australia makes sense, because we will then be able to use them. That is a part of prepping, preparing for the future.
    Keith.
    Sorry to get off topic, but I felt that I had to reply to previous posts.

Old Geezer and lonewolf like this.
  48. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hand to hand combat may be required in a war setting where one is part of an army or armed unit, in a SHTF situation awareness and AVOIDANCE is the key, fighting of any sort never mind hand to hand is an action of last resort when all else has failed and one has no other option.

49. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    As Keith said, when it all goes sideways, law enforcement will be busy or absent. It is at that time when one must go retrieve that which you have secreted. One's need of home/property protection will be multiplied mult-fold when the infrastructure of society crumbles.

Now are the last days in which we can prepare. Relative to the future, we have it easy right now, therefore we must take actions to lesson future suffering. An armed and prepared citizenry will help bring about the restoration of order post chaos.

Today I can harvest without having a rifle slung over my back and a cohort scanning the environment for those who would attack me and take the harvest of my labor. Such good-times come and go. History bears witness to this cycling.

50. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If it is illegal for you to own a gun then you need to consider what a cop told me one time. It's better to be tried by 12 in a court of law than carried by 6 to your grave. I actually have little use for laws in and of themselves. Laws are made to punish bad people rather than protect good people. You had better protect yourself because the cops have little to no interest in doing it for you. After you are dead or beat half to death they will maybe try and catch the person that did it to you. Until they attack you a cop isn't much help. I've carried a gun for YEARS and YEARS. I don't show it to people or act in a way that would attract the attention of the police to me. The only time I would or will show and USE it will be if I am afraid that I am about to be killed or injured more than just a bloody nose.