How Would "you" Attack "your" Post Event Location...???

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Sourdough, Sep 4, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    So pretend it is only nine days after the a massive yucky event, and no help is coming. And for this exercise it does not matter what happened. All that matters is where ever you are is being sized up for an attack, in the next few days.

For this exercise how many firearms and what they are is not relevant, so save the essay on your firearms and your skills, we will assume you have the best equipment and you are the best on earth at operating said equipment.

How will the attack be executed against you and wherever you are attempting to weather the yucky conditions, with zero hope of any help coming to your location.

Note: The whole point is to look at how others will attack, and maybe you might see some little thing you can do around the property that could tip things slightly in your favor.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The goal is to learn, and help each other. NOT to look super cool, like you have everything all figured out.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    4 approaches. 1) Down from roof onto balcony. 2) Onto balcony for ground level. 3) Kick in front door. 3) Ladder into bedroom windows. Landing onto balcony floor will be very painful --- Response Plan --1) Caltrops and spiked boards covered by sheet. 2) See number 1 response. 3) Wedge (closet door) to prevent front door from swinging open. Front door will have to be reduced to small section to allow entrance into 'Kill Zone". 4) Black out plastic covers with wire strands and wire screens to slow entrance and prevent fire bombs. last but not least, "Rabbit Hole prepped to exit unit. Interior boob traps to delay attackers while family exit out rabbit hole.

Yes I have looked at and figured out attack points, defensive positions and tactics. If you can't figure out how they will attack, you can't figure out how you will defend.

Morgan101, Sourdough and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would expect the attack to come from all round, as we live in a forest & the trees give plenty of cover. However, we have already started to extend the firebreaks around both houses, & at the first sign of any trouble in the future, we plan to construct palisades around both houses. Some of our group will be Rangers patrolling the area around both dwellings & garden areas, the gardens will also be inside the palisades. I have constructed a fort palisade before, so the planning is already done. We have enough people to make the work go fairly quickly, & we have all the required hand tools to complete the job.
    Keith.

howler, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith, I like the Palisade idea. Will your design allow you to channel the attackers? 360 degree is difficult to cover. Do you have water inside the compound -- water well? Next question, does you plan provide for an emergency "Rabbit Hole" exit? Understand these are not challenges to your plan, just my curiosity.

Morgan101, Sourdough and Keith H. like this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think playing the devil's advocate is a good thing, our ideas or plans need to be challenged so that we can be absolutely sure we have covered all basis.
    I think that a square palisade with bastions on the corners should cover it. Water tanks will be inside the palisades. The bolt hole is something I have been thinking about for a long time now, I have some ideas, but need to sit down with my boys sometime & work out which is best. I think leaving in the middle of an attack, even at night will have its risks, but after dark would be our best bet if we have to evacuate. Frankly I think we could wait them out. Covering open ground will be dangerous for them in daylight. At night we would have to stay on our toes! Getting from our boundaries through the woods & forest should be a challenge, there will be early warning systems & plenty of traps. All stuff that we can't for obvious reasons do now, but I don't think it will take us long once we get started. I have considered the wildlife, but they feed in open ground, & use regular game trails, which do not run toward our position, so we should be able to avoid trapping game unless we want to.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  7. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Joe Nobody wrote a couple books that might help with your own self-assessment, Holding Your Ground for homestead defense and Without Rule of Law that includes some information on how to perform reconnaissance, infiltration, breach and entry, and looting. That second one might be a tough one to read if (like me) you're not planning for a life of crime in the apocalypse. I wouldn't even have bought it to read most likely, but I got a copy for free. The two books together do give you some perspective (and ideas) from both sides, attack and defense.

Personally, and especially in the early days of some apocalyptic event, I think I'd try deception to gain my trust and gain entry as opposed to a brute force attack on my home. Pose as police, military, FEMA/DHS, etc maybe. Or, monitor my movements and try to find a routine, try to take hostages and then negotiate with whoever is left in the house.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have divided potential attacks between summer or winter. The winter will be easier for me to deal with an attack. Just getting near here in the winter will require much more effort for attackers, especially on foot or snowshoes. Snow machines are very loud, but very fast, and that could play to either sides advantage.

Winter allows me vastly better visibility with no leaves on vegetation. If there is snow on the ground that would allow me to see if visitors are checking out the lay of the land here. Scouting to see if an attack would even be prudent.

The type of attacker and their skillset is important for me to consider. Not going to be the "Classic" gang. Neither youth or adult gang, and not a group who's core common interest is drugs. Alaska has a high percentage of ex-military young to middle aged adults, with a strong interest in Alaska hunting and fishing and all outdoors activities. This is very important disadvantage for me, as they will have quality skills and gear for Alaska winter.

More in a future post to this thread. Summer or winter, I figure that my best plan is to "NOT" be here inside the cabin, but to use the cabin, as what I would be primarily observing from a reasonable distance, more or less using the cabin as a hunter might utilize a watering hole, to see what shows up.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Those books and the movie: Mr. Majestyk are the core of my prepping for survival plans. The lesson from the movie is that he knows intimately the surrounding area, and uses that to his advantage.

Mr. Majestyk is a 1974 American action film directed by Richard Fleischer and starring Charles Bronson. The film is from an original screenplay written by author Elmore Leonard. He also wrote the novelization based on the movie, a reversal of the usual process of adaptation. Leonard took the title character's last name from a character in his 1969 crime novel The Big Bounce.

10. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    As best you can, roughly describe the probable attackers.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 routes of ingress or egress for vehicles and 1 more by foot that is up a very steep hill. The other direction could be used only by individuals with ropes and mountain climbing experience. I live on top of the mountain. The road routes are easy to cover with simple barricades, ground mortars and fu gas. Yes, I had explosives training in the military. LOL! Plus another member of my group is a civilian master blaster. The steep hillside would be covered with tanglefoot, EWD's and claymores and have a OP/LP in overwatch. If we deemed the event serious enough and a true TEOTWAWKI event WROL, then things kick up a couple notches. I live in a very rural area with 1 state highway for access through the area. If needed the 3 bridges that allow access into and out of our area, would be blown, greatly reducing the number of people that could even get into the area. I have white water rivers (2 are class 4 and 1 class 5) on 3 sides of me and forest on the 4th side. The odds of any group but a highly trained military unit, even accessing our area after that, would be very low. Having to swim cold swift water is very difficult and terrain, distance and sharp rocks add to that difficulty. Mountains make for many choke points.

Dale

Morgan101, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    BUMP.....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    The ease of attacking my location, and the difficulty we will have defending it, is the biggest problem with our homestead and where I hope we can bug in.

If the attackers have any common sense they will come in on foot through the forest. Especially when the trees of in full leaf and restricting visibility. To mitigate this in a small way, in place alarms and my dogs will hopefully provide warning. Should it be a complete SHTF WROL situation I have researched and planned placement of as many nasty surprises as I can.

If the attackers are stupid and choose to come by vehicles/atvs they would be funneled onto only one access road which will make defense a lot easier. I have designed it/used existing terrain so that you would literally need a tank to come in anyway but the one. Even horseback would be almost impossible.

There are a few areas on the road leading past our property that wash out a few times a year and become impassable until the county fixes them. I plan on helping those washout areas get really bad really quickly if things go wrong. Which will hopefully stop vehicle access. We are at the end of a dead end road. There are logging trails you could take but you need to know the area really really well as its literally a maze.

In the end though, security remains a major weakness I won't be able to change in a hurry.

14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Suggest you consider how cheaply you could establish "Fall'back" positions. Little hidden camp sites starting only a few hundred yards from your homestead. By caching old pots and pans and supplies, coats, etc.. in steel drums. but very well hidden.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  15. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Also consider building elevated treestands that will allow good view of your homestead, these can be handy for thinning the bastards that run you off of your home.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  16. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I have done one fall back position so far. I hope to have a few more further away in time. And a bit more prepared for winter because knowing my luck if I have to use one, it will be in the worst weather possible!

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  17. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I like when you post here. It is authentic, and not a bunch of fake bravado. Wish you would post more often. Yes........I realize this forum can be extremely intimidating.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    my situation is a little bit different to most on this forum as I don't live in the USA, road conditions are different too, and my location is a long way from any big city, at least in British terms. this place is not well known and is unknown outside of a small radius, so i'm not really expecting "visitors" from an outside location, so any looters or scavengers would have to be fairly local, and as I live in a low population area the numbers also would be low, certainly not a mob just a few individuals. access is only possible in 2 areas, 1 vehicular and one pedestrian, both fairly easy to block off.
    I'm also not the first property you come too and am set well back with a clear field of vision all around, I think I would hear the screams of those being attacked long before anyone approached my personal location so would be warned in advance of any trouble.

TMT Tactical, Sourdough and Morgan101 like this.
  19. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in Suburbia; typical subdivision neighborhood. My home is not nearly as defensible as I would like it to be. There are large glass windows, and sliding glass doors that are a problem. I do have plans to barricade all of the doors, and the windows, and secure the glass, so it is more difficult to breach and won't be a flying hazard to those inside. My plan would be to make it as difficult as possible to gain entry. My hope is that whoever is trying to gain access will find I am a lot more trouble than I am worth, and they will move on to a place with less resistance.

I do not have an escape plan or an escape route. That would have to be done early; a true bug out, and the house left to the looters. Or pick a place outside, and pick them off as they approached.

The one issue that terrifies me, and for which I have no answer is fire. I don't know if anybody has an answer. Should you run into that group of hostiles that feel "If I can't have it nobody can have it." it will be pretty much lights out. We could make a mad dash like Butch and Sundance, but we would be easy pickings for anyone outside.

Great post, Sourdough. Really makes you think.

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to live in a city suburb in a ground floor apartment, no security and if SHTF I planned to bug out carrying what I could and head out over the train line that went north, roads would have been useless.
    I left there 20 years ago and my situation now is much improved.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  21. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Current plan, at current location --- hunker down. If accosted, then wife will defend the fort and I will exit out the emergency route and circle around and eliminate the threat. Windows are screened and will be blocked from thrown objects (Molotov Cocktails -- smoke bombs). One entrance door that will be blockaded and will become a kill zone upon forced entry. Balcony access requires ladder and again intruders are in a kill zone. One person can cover both kill zones with the AR15 platforms. Fire is the one attack we cannot defend against. Roof can be set on fire and then we would have to bug out. At that point it will be a lost cause, due to our age and medical conditions. Then the plan changes from survival to take out as many of them as we can. We would not last long without our our supplies, even a few caches would only delay the inevitable. Not a perfect plan but the best we have got.

Future location will require a huge force, with military equipment to capture. Plans for many go boom devices, surprise fireworks and many ankle breakers. Best part of future location, isolation, so none of these items will be needed.

Morgan101 likes this.