How Would You Do In A Gun Fight?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by PreperMary, May 17, 2018 at 8:35 AM.

0/5, 0 votes

1. PreperMary

PreperMary New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, new member here and happy to join!

I noticed there's about weapons this week, and there's definitely a lot of talk about guns. Just yesterday I came across this entertaining post on surviving a gun fight, which makes me think (since we're talking about weapons) how would you fare in a gun fight?

A lot of us have guns here it seems, so I am wondering, if you had to use them in a real gun fight, do you think you would be able to control yourself and think clearly?

For me, I'd probably crap myself. But that's just me.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I think for anyone who has not been in a fire fight it would be difficult to answer this with any certainty. My answer is that I am still alive.
    Keith.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    I've spoken to some bad guys who were pathetic -- this with a gun in my hand behind my back. I constantly re-positioned myself so that if I had 100 msec I could have put lead into their pelvic region. More time and I could have put one in their upper chest.

In those situations and at that time, I had no fear.

I have little in the endurance realm -- even when young. I have lightning-quick reaction time however -- even at my age.

Were I up against monster psychotics or professionals, I'd be worried. But understand, I'm not big on going on living anymore. I do stuff that blanches other people. On a business trip a bus pulled right across my rental car's path and I was doing over 50 miles per hour. There were three other people in the car with me. My words were, "I wonder if we are going to be killed?" I spoke these words too calmly, I guess. I did manage to stop just short of hitting the bus. I was no longer allowed by the others to drive our rental car. Another fellow at work wouldn't ride with me ... ever. He said that I was too used-to being in bad wrecks / that I had lost my fear of death.

Were I a person who cared about going on living and the person who I was going up against had my firearms skills (my weapons are one with my body image; my firearm IS me), I would be experiencing blind terror. I have zero qualms about killing. I've killed things since childhood just to watch them die and I have more feelings for some animals than I do for people.

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      345/460

Blog Posts:
    I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds. I have shot combat ranges and silhouette long range pistol ranges. I write and throw left handed but generally shoot right handed. That said, I probable shoot left handed way better than most right handed people. This is especially nice when you want to shoot from a left hand corner without exposing yourself.

I used to actually instruct on a range. All that said, I have never had to shoot someone or return fire when someone was shooting at me so I honestly can only say that I hope that if all else fails me muscle memory will carry me through.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Muscle memory carries people through.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    probably not very well, but then my weapons are for hunting not fighting, I intend to avoid people post SHTF by being as far away from others as possible.

7. watcherchris

watcherchris Expert Member
      135/173

Blog Posts:
    Don't know...never wanted to get into a gun fight.

I have guns...mostly for target shooting and I like reloading...rolling my own ammo.

I am generally not a person of fear. I do know from experience..that fear , though natural, does not help one too often..but hinders....particularly if one has a dangerous/hazardous task to perform.

The one thing which scares me...is electricity. High voltage electricity. It is difficult to talk junk and smack to electricity.
    And electricity can move much faster than any human gun reflex.

I have a healthy respect and fear of electricity.

I watch these guys cutting trees and limbs around those high tension lines...and I pucker up.

Same thing with that machine which grinds up tree limbs...puckers me right up.

But generally I don't lock up or frighten easily.

You learn to trust your disciplines ...your training...and not lock up in fear.

Maybe one day I will overcome my fear of electricity and or that tree limb grinding machine.....but won't hold my breath on that.

Welcome to the forum Prepper Mary.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: May 19, 2018 at 8:51 AM
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    a belated welcome to the forum Mary.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      345/460

Blog Posts:
    No way!! Your butt would be clenched so tight that you couldn't pull a needle out of it with a bulldozer. Just the fact that you are thinking about it now, before it happens, will change to way you will react. The loose bowels reaction is what happens when you are surprised and so without a plan you go directly to total panic. Whatever you are going to do, just having a plan that you have already considered keeps you from running in circles totally freaked out. This is why we have things like fire drills.

Also, welcome to the forum...

10. Beforenow

Beforenow New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I've been shot twice in my life. It is my sincere hope that no one who's not been in a firefight, ever finds out what it's like. While training can help you survive it, there is nothing I am aware of that can prepare your mind for it.