Hunting For Eggs In The Wilderness

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Corzhens, Jun 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When there are feathers, so to speak, there are eggs. With the need for food, you will settle for anything edible even if not palatable. And how about eggs? Whether eggs of birds, wild geese or even wild chickens, the egg is a good source of nutrition. Start searching in the branches of the trees and then look in the grassy areas. Eggs can be eatern raw but it is best to be boiled. Eggs of birds are small but it can sustain your needs especially when there are many nests around.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a young bloke in W.A. there was a woman went missing from a mental institution. I was the one who found her. She had been camped out in the bush surviving on Emu eggs.
    Keith.

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Eggs are a good resource when you are in the wild, unfortunate they aren't available all year round. Sometimes they also are out of reach but if you have the luck to find a nest it can make for good eating when there isn't anything else.

4. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    We don't have much such options here. Forest with birds are far away from my place. We have barren land here. And there are not many birds there. So no chance of finding eggs. There may be a chance of finding fruits around though. I guess that is one possibility in that case. Eggs of some birds such as duck, pigeon etc can be worth hunting for.

5. randyt

randyt Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    eggs can be a good resource. To gather duck eggs find a nest, flag it so it can be spotted later. Take some of the eggs but not all. mark the eggs that are left behind. As you return to the nest take the unmarked fresh eggs.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There has been some evidence that eating duck eggs can result in Salmonella poisoning. True or not, I recommend that you cook these eggs well until they are hard, boiled or fried.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I eat duck eggs regularly, boiled, fried and poached, never had any problems.

TMT Tactical likes this.