Hunting For Eggs In The Wilderness

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Corzhens, Jun 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When there are feathers, so to speak, there are eggs. With the need for food, you will settle for anything edible even if not palatable. And how about eggs? Whether eggs of birds, wild geese or even wild chickens, the egg is a good source of nutrition. Start searching in the branches of the trees and then look in the grassy areas. Eggs can be eatern raw but it is best to be boiled. Eggs of birds are small but it can sustain your needs especially when there are many nests around.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a young bloke in W.A. there was a woman went missing from a mental institution. I was the one who found her. She had been camped out in the bush surviving on Emu eggs.
    Keith.

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Eggs are a good resource when you are in the wild, unfortunate they aren't available all year round. Sometimes they also are out of reach but if you have the luck to find a nest it can make for good eating when there isn't anything else.

4. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    We don't have much such options here. Forest with birds are far away from my place. We have barren land here. And there are not many birds there. So no chance of finding eggs. There may be a chance of finding fruits around though. I guess that is one possibility in that case. Eggs of some birds such as duck, pigeon etc can be worth hunting for.

5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    eggs can be a good resource. To gather duck eggs find a nest, flag it so it can be spotted later. Take some of the eggs but not all. mark the eggs that are left behind. As you return to the nest take the unmarked fresh eggs.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There has been some evidence that eating duck eggs can result in Salmonella poisoning. True or not, I recommend that you cook these eggs well until they are hard, boiled or fried.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I eat duck eggs regularly, boiled, fried and poached, never had any problems.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Blueberry2020

Blueberry2020 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    If youre out in the wilderness, how do you eat wild eggs if theyve been fertilized? Store bought chicken eggs arent.

So... when we're out surviving in the woods, is it expected that we're going to be cracking open eggs with baby birds inside??

And eat them??

:eek::eek::eek:

9. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lots of people eat fertilized eggs.
    Some even eat the embryos. (I don't)

Hopefully one finds them before they start to develop.
    Most won't be finding them at all.

If you live near colonial nest areas the odds increase.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was raised eating yard eggs and I can assure you that the rooster saw to it that they were all fertilized. If you have your hens laying in their nests and clear the nests daily you won't have much problem with them developing. When you cook with fresh real eggs you always break them into a small bowl first to make sure though. Feathers in scrambled eggs isn't good.

Dalewick and Caribou like this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if your hungry enough you'll eat anything.
    scrape off the bits you don't want when you crack the egg.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I reckon the folks that don't like fertilized eggs, don't like mountain oysters either.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They probably wouldn't like chitlins either. Mountain Oysters are a springtime delicacy. they are actually really good.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  14. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    TexDanm, You are truly southern country sir, and country boys can survive. When your hungry enough things you wouldn't normally eat smell and taste good.

I did notice, no one mentioned (that I saw) eating eggs from reptiles. Snake and turtle eggs aren't usual fare for most people and alligator or crocodile eggs usually aren't thought of as even something to look for. I've robbed croc nest and while not great eats, they are calories. Here in the states snake and turtle eggs aren't that hard to find, if you know where to look. I've also ate snake and snapping turtle eggs. Not great, but they are calories. I would warn anyone going for snake eggs anywhere. Baby snakes from venomous species have venom in them even in the egg. Not sure how cooking affects that venom. I have found rattlesnake and cobra eggs in the past but left them for other predators. PS - Some snakes guard there nest, including cobras.

Dale

TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  15. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Great catch on those eggs. I've never encounter any eggs (of any animals) in the wild

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Patience

Patience Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'll be out in the brambles along the river for the next month, looking for geese nests. I love goose eggs. But yeah, a spring time thing like morrels and pheasant backs.

Ive never stumbled on a turkey nest, now that I think about it, and turkeys are all over around here.