Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by GS AutoTech, Aug 27, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Sending my thoughts & prayers to all our Brothers and Sisters affected by the storm.

John Davis and Tumbleweed like this.
  2. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    My friend Ina lives in Houston. She said that the bayou near her is flooded, her street is flooded, the water is up to her door; but not in the house. (Yet)
    She has power intermittently, and has a well; so when the power is off, then she has no running water either. She does have a gas cook stove; so she is able to cook hot food, and is trying to help feed some of the neighbors that do not have power or a way to cook.
    The hurricane seems to be starting to move eastward; so the Houston area will probably be getting more of the rain and storm in the next few days. With the northern cold front holding the storm from traveling inland and dissipating, it looks like it might stay close to the gulf and just keep traveling eastward.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm north of Houston and have had a foot of rain so far. A friend in Houston has had 20 inches and it is still raining on both of us. Floods are popping up every where but mostly people are dealing with it fairly well. The tornadoes are keeping things interesting. LOTS and lots of tornadoes! This is going to be a long term mess. Right now that idiot storm has decided it doesn't like the land and is slowly heading back towards the gulf. THAT might be interesting. May make a second landfall at Houston on Wednesday! At this rate there are places that my end up with four feet of rain before it is done. In a place as flat as Houston there just isn't much runoff. Fun Fun Fun!! That is sarcasm by the way...

GS AutoTech likes this.
  4. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    Stay safe my Brother. May the GAOTU watch over you & yours.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lots of flooding all over the place. I am seriously glad that I intentionally bought a place that is on top of a hill. I know a lot of folks that are either flooded or sweating it and waiting to see. I went and checked the river a little while ago and it is out of its banks. There are roads closed all over the place. AND it is rainig in sheets...

6. John Davis

John Davis Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    My heart goes out to all those affected.

7. greymanila

greymanila Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Out of curiosity, was there anything that the government could have done preemptively to have prevented the flooding? Was there infrastructure inadequacies?

8. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    Probably not. You can build for normal amounts of water, add more in anticipation of alot of water, but eventually you'll get a storm of historic proportions like this & it will overwhelm every prep & plan you could afford to build. It is what it is.

9. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Not a lot you can do to prevent flooding when it rains 30 plus inches in 3 days. People decided to build cities in areas that are naturally wetlands, like Houston and New Orleans and there will be just times that you can't control it. All the water runoff in East Texas eventually drains into the gulf, so all the rain above Houston is going to flow through there on its way to the gulf.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    NO! There is no way to predict that someplace is going to get FIFTY INCHES of rain. Understand also, Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. You just can't suddenly up and decide that 6 and a half million people need to evacuate. Harvey actually came in at Corpus Christi. That is about 200 miles away .

There was no way to predict this level of disaster and understand it isn't over yet. By the time it became obvious it was too late. All of the major Interstate highways are impassable by the time people knew that they needed to leave. IF they had tried to evacuate the number of deaths would have skyrocketed.

Now, all that said. The PEOPLE of Texas and especially East Texas are well equipped to deal with this sort of thing. We are doing pretty well all things considering. The reason I say this is there are probably not many places where there are as many privately owned shallow water boats and BIG 4 wheel drive trucks. The people of Texas are hands on people. They didn't wait for the federal government to help. There are LOTS of people with air boats and small flat bottom boats that have just come out and are pulling people out of the flood. Thousands of Kayaks and other small fishing boats are out and helping people. This is just how it is here. People don't just sit an watch here if they can help. Another nice thing about things here is that looters just don't DARE when it is perfectly legal to shoot them dead if they invade your home or business.

Houston is a huge metropolitan area. They have done the best that they could. We are even evacuating our dogs and they are going to shelters. This is just an example of the normal mentality. We are a place where millions of people carry guns. It isn't odd to see people shopping in Walmart with a gun on their hip. We take charge of our own protection whether you are talking about criminal attack or like this a weather disaster.

As bad as this is I am very proud of my people here. Black, White, Brown, Red, Yellow or purple we are TEXANS first and take care of our own. The only place where there has been a problem has been that people haven't been totally successful at predicting where exactly where and when this flood would happen. There are all sorts of protections but they are for things that they call century floods. That is pretty good but this is a Millennia flood and is overwhelming all the normal protections. The flood control reservoirs are past holding this back. 2 foot of rain would have been controlled but over 4 FEET of rain just filled them to the top and now they are in danger of failing.

Fear not we will wade through this and only come out stronger.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  11. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    We see people in Houston of all races working together to help each other in that true Texas spirit. Seeing someone in need of help all is seen is that hey are human, their race, ethnicity, or sexual preference means nothing, and those that are pulling people out of the water don't care about all that.

12. GS AutoTech

232/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm totally impressed with the Texan rugged independent spirit. A can do attitude makes all the difference.

13. John Davis

John Davis Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
  14. greymanila

greymanila Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I completely sympathize with all who have suffered in this calamity. I've had bad experiences myself with extreme flooding.

But for those who were in the midst of this catastrophe, what preparations did you do that paid off, and what improvements would you do based on your experience?

15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Irma needs to just stay out of the Gulf!! We have had enough fun for one season!! IF Irma makes landfall anywhere in the US as a Cat 4 it will be the first time in over one hundred years that that has happened.