Hurricane Prep

Discussion in 'Other Not Listed Situations' started by Pragmatist, May 11, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/accuweather-forcasts-big-hurricane-season/

Good morning all,

I'm posting this hurricane article less for the article's quality and more so for it being a reminder.

The hurricane ally folks must prepare for hurricanes now even with 99% of the news on the COVID pandemic.

A matter to factor into hurricane prep this year is that the COVID-infected need some extra planning.

Thus, consider emphasis on health care supplies and their portability when preparing.

A good ol' Cat 5 hurricane could bring some tranquility and calm to this area because of the saturated media environment re the pandemic.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Fortunately, hurricanes are not something I need be concerned. We may get residual rain if they hit Texas or Louisiana but not much more than that. I will keep you all in my prayers when they do start, and hope the forecasters are wrong.

lonewolf and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Morgan.

Just removed some moth balls (camphor) from my tall rubber boots. Don't want to provide habitat for non-rent paying spiders.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php --- Here is a link to a site on hurricane updates . Two systems currently heading toward southern United States , but neither at this time are listed as a threat . This year should be of particular concern as the power line " National Union " guys " in some cases " have run out of material to construct with . At least some of the crews have been " laid off " because of the material shortage . .However I do know of a private non - union company that is still operational . So I suppose there is a limited amount of stuff , such as poles , wire and transformers .--- Wherever it may hit , rebuilding the electrical grid may take much longer than usual , before the power switch is flipped on .--- Looking at Pragmatist post above is sort of like looking at a ghost . His last transmission was he was going out to get the government's da- shot .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    It has been my habit to wash out and freeze those half gallon plastic milk cartons......with water. I put them in the corners of my small chest freezer to buy me some time in keeping things cold should the power go out.

Last week I charged up all my Baofeng VHF/UHF walkie talkies.

I have several 40 packs of AA type batteries here and also several car batteries and a deep cycle battery in my garage if needed.

This weekend I will be cleaning out all my water containers...some 8 of them and filling them up with water.

Watching the weather for this storm coming up the coast...not sure when or where it will make the turn up to the north Atlantic....but nonetheless making some early preps while time allows.

Will also begin the regimen of tying down my lawn furniture..a regimen I have done before.. I have a deck table which has those 12 x 12 inch stone plates in it for a table top..and will have to remove all of those plates....and store them in one of my vehicles..

All the clothes need to be washed and dried..and at the last moment everyone needs to shower and clean up...then washing out the bathtubs....sinks..and washing machine and filling them with water..Just in case..

It is my year long habit to keep duct tape on hand and have plenty to tape my windows...

Also keep on hand rope. I tie my outside screen doors with rope to the inside door and on the inside door knob so it does not hopefully blow loose and or become damaged.
    Keep a pocket knife on myself at all times should I have to cut this line....and evacuate my home...

I do this too at my parents' house.

Another prep I do is to take out all four of mu generators and run them...with fresh gasoline....and also put a load on them...a light or fan ...to run for a few minutes..to make sure they are delivering power...

Gasoline stocks need to be filled up....also the fuel for my scooters and mopeds...

One of the things also...needing doing...is an operational check on my Ham Radio base station...

On one of my Lowe s trips I will buy another roll of 12 gauge stranded wire...a 500 foot roll...out of which I can fabricate antennas for long range HF radio ...if need be.

I am ever grateful to the olde Timers in Ham radio for teaching and encouraging me to fabricate my own antennas when and where I can. One never knows ..good times or bad...when this skill will pay dividends...

Also cash will have to be taken out of the bank just in case the electricity goes down for extended periods...

If this happens all ATM machines will be down...and people will be SOL with their credit and debit cards..

You will never convince me that electronic digital currency is a good thing.....but that is just me.

Food stocks are good as I also try to keep ahead in this arena as well.

Oh..snd I have some prescriptions to pick up from the Pharmacy today....and will be picking up a couple more tubes of anti-biotic Ointment as well....just in case...Hydrogen Peroxide...
    Have plenty of rubbing Alcohol here now.

Make sure your prescription medicines are in sufficient stock at home...with electricity down this may become difficult for some time after a storm.

Our family lived in Japan for Three years...on my Fathers military Assignment to Yakota Air Force Base...and one had to be ready for typhoons.
    This is where I became acquainted with such a storm prep regimen.

Nonetheless ...this is some of the basics of my preps.

Best get started...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It has been cooler in the Caribbean this year, thus far fewer storms.

Water storage -- I'll repeat what I've posted before. I find 15 gallon tanks the easiest to use. Larger tanks are ungainly and my old back just doesn't want to deal with weight-lifting any-dang more! 15 gallon x 8 lb/gal = 120lb (54.4 kg)

At fifty-five kilogram, one can easily roll your storage tanks around to where you wish to store them / have them available.

Also, using adapters, one can put a spigot on the tank's opening port. I've found that attaching a spigot is necessary and mighty convenient. The tanks shown below are blue in color -- maybe a bright light will shoot through them. Our tanks are white in color and thus a little bit translucent, so putting a flashlight to the other side instantly reveals the water level. The plastic used in the manufacture of these tanks is the exact some thing used in milk-jug construction, except that these tanks have very robust walls. Ours sure aren't flimsy.

upload_2022-9-16_11-42-46.png upload_2022-9-16_11-45-59.png

After a hurricane hits, man you just don't know how long you are going to be without clean water! Storing fresh water before the storms gives you a time buffer before you may need to break-out your camping water filtration systems. Even the best filters plus charcoal filtering doesn't give you the nicest of water!

I'm lucky living where I live because mountain streams and a river are within walking distance. Driving to work, I see guys out fly-fishing. Still one must have storage capabilities.

Here's a neat device out of England:

upload_2022-9-16_12-6-16.png

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey Olde Geezer....

That 15 gallon water container...where does one obtain something like that?? I've seen them before..but never quite knew where to get one??

What I have is 5 gallon water bottles and some military plastic Jerry type cans....but what you post is ideal to me.

Would like to know where to get two of them.

And you are correct....a supply of water can be a very important buffer..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:

WATCH OUT! -- I found some several 15 gal tanks and they were RECONDITIONED -- don't use reconditioned tanks, they are cheaper, but heaven only knows what they were used for! They will not be FDA approved nor Old Geezer approved. Same story with "Drain Tanks", they are for camper waste water. Watch out when searching for prices.

Here's a 15 gal and accessories. Scroll down for accessories. This is FDA approved.

https://www.thecarycompany.com/15-g...term=4576992030062266&utm_content=Ad group #1

-----------------

More:

https://www.newpig.com/translucent-...sale&msclkid=c718f19debf115484b8692b95fecd2a7

---------------

https://www.ntotank.com/25gallon-no...y&utm_term=1100100875230&utm_content=products

The above link is for a 25 gallon tank and one can buy a valve for it. However, it has no handles. How do you move it? It is billed as "stationary". No joke.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.google.com/search?q=15+...iw=1447&bih=765&dpr=1#spd=7165979138783765229

upload_2022-9-16_13-59-17.png

----------------------------------------

https://www.google.com/search?q=15+...w=1447&bih=765&dpr=1#spd=12702270069444381132

https://www.ntotank.com/15gallon-acerotomold-white-inductor-cone-bottom-tank-x8504006

upload_2022-9-16_14-2-8.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water storage for boats & ships:

https://www.google.com/search?q=15+...iw=1447&bih=765&dpr=1#spd=8542062527160843694

https://pantherrvproducts.com/94-1627wh/

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the links and information Olde Geezer....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Sure, dude. Thnx for the intel you provide.

Old Geezer, Sep 17, 2022
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Japan issues special typhoon warning as 'unprecedented' storm approaches"

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...yphoon-hit-southern-region-sunday-2022-09-17/

"Nanmadol, classified as a super typhoon by the U.S. Navy's Joint Typhoon Warning Center, has the potential to be the most destructive tropical storm to strike Japan in decades.

"The 14th typhoon of the season was near Japan's southern Minami-Daito Island heading northwest at 20 kph (12 mph) on Saturday afternoon. Winds at the centre of the storm were blowing at 198 kph (123 mph) and gusting up to 270 kph (167 mph), according to the JMA."

[​IMG]

--------------------------

Old Gzr: If this storm does not abate and follows the course in the map above, the Japanese and the Japanese economy could suffer horribly. BAD TIMING!

Anything that harms Japan makes communist China rejoice. Japan could come to the aid of Taiwan in an all-out war. Short of that, Japan could become a base of operations for the military forced of other nations to attempt to halt the Chinese attack on Taiwan.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Florida is going to take a MASSIVE hit, here in late September beginning October here in 2022. Hurricane Ian is category 4 and only a slight bit short of a full category 5. There will be be billions in damages and the electricity will be out for weeks.

After the hurricane itself has passed the flooding will linger. I know several people in Sarasota who work in a massive medical electronics plant. Sent one guy an email. No reply. In another state, I'm always working around paramedics, so I'm thinking about what EMTs down in Florida are now facing. Storm surge in Sarasota is expected to be 18 feet / 5.5 meters.

Since Florida is conservative, the puppet biden regime will only send funds to rebuild if it imagines it can curry favor from Florida voters. Major media outlets will cover the storm damage but then ignore conservative Florida. Hurricane Sandy lost strength and was only a category 1 when it hit New York. The press was reporting Sandy's damage for weeks = extreme bias.

upload_2022-9-28_13-56-17.png

Medical centers brace for incoming trauma patients:

Here's video from the initial outer bands of the storm. When it hits it will be 5X this:

"Emergency evacuation in US! Hurricane Ian hit Florida, wind 250 km/h"

And then you have these people:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

upload_2022-9-28_14-25-15.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      People who've put off preparations to the very last minute (what idiots!!!):

Old Geezer, Sep 28, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hurricane Ian info, continued

Traffic time lapse video:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/int...cane-ian-evacuees-fleeing-tampa-area-90612668

Georgia hotels filling-up:

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news...ees-2/93-7a09a207-b1a0-4c35-94ae-0452675ddeef

Live feed camera:

"This live streaming webcam comes to you from Bird Key Yacht Club, in the beautiful Bird Key island in Sarasota Bay, in the U.S. state of Florida."

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/florida/bird-key-yacht-club.html

Cuba entirely without power after Hurricane Ian

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/cuba-entirely-without-power-after-hurricane-ian-2022-09-28/

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    One fellow seeking shelter

upload_2022-9-28_15-59-33.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was raised on the Texas gulf coast. When you live in places like that you don’t really have to “get ready” for a storm. You are better off if you just STAY ready. Once a storm is in the gulf and headed your way the things that you might want to “prepare” for the storm will get hard to find FAST. We always had 20 gallons of drinking water, lamps, lanterns and candles for lighting, food enough for a couple of weeks to a month, guns, ammo, and fishing tackle to supplement the food supply. We had Coleman stoves, heaters and lanterns and 5 gallons of fuel.

We always had a lot of battery powered radios, books, games, dominoes and cards to entertain us when there was no power. If you are sitting there in the dark listening to the rain pouring down for days on end boredom is a real problem. Throw in a half dozen bored kids and it will be as close to hell as you will ever want to live through.

We had a couple of hurricanes just come in and stall and squat on us for three days. They don’t really start to power down until the eye is on land. The power goes down and there isn’t much that is going to get fixed until the storm has passed. When it passes it is all done on a priority basis and you may well NOT be considered a priority if you live in a more thinly populated place. There were areas that had no power for a couple of weeks after the storm. Many modern homes are almost uninhabitable without power.

In my Grandmothers old house every room had at least three doors. During the summer you could open doors to take advantage of any wind from any direction. I always loved sleeping out on the sleeping porch. In a time before ACs a sleeping porch was great.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    TMT Tactical and Old Geezer like this.
  17. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    this is one problem that I dont have to prep for, by the time a hurricane travels across the Atlantic to Britain it is always downgraded to a minor storm.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  18. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Florida: One and one-half million without power.

Transformers were popping like firecrackers on the 4th of July. The days and weeks ahead will be a study in our nation's ability to build back. If there is an insufficient number of transformers in storage, that will soon hit the fan.

We only had one major hurricane make landfall this year, but holy crap was it ever a doozy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    shows these people who think nothing bad will happen just how fragile the infrastructure is.
    mother nature is a very good teacher.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Most of the people that grew up and live in hurricane zones actually know how and mostly stay prepared. I grew up 30 milesfrom the coast and my wife was a lot closer. We both lived through a bunch of storms. IF you are prepared and do the right things they really are not hard to survive. One of the BIG rules that causes a lot of problems is that you do NOT ride out a storm in a mobile home. They are mobile homes and the storm will move them!!! You just can not imagine how quickly a hundred mile per hour wind can tear up and roll a trailer house.

My wife lived close to the beach and they had ZERO blocking the winds living in a thousand acre field. Their house was square, lifted high so it didn't flood and had big cables built into the frame when it was built. The roof was nailed down with nails that were about twice as long as most and the roof decking was 1" thick. It was made and designed to deal with storms. 3 foot of water and 100+ mph winds made no headway on that house.

I always sort of liked a little storm. A cat one or cat two were no problem and I would go out in it and pull idiots out of the high water. My truck could run in 3 feet of water. Most cars get pretty iffy when the water goes past a foot and a half and if you will drive fast you will drown out in no more than a foot sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Be sure to steal the fuel out of the busted cars.

Old Geezer, Sep 29, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am home on my Ham station and monitoring lower side band on 7.195 MHZ this morning as well as a certain repeater on the VHF local Bands. Watching also the updates on Hurricane Ian....down south should the conditions change..

Weather here is rainy and calm.....expecting higher winds here as the afternoon goes by. Hopefully nothing too drastic..and most of it to the south of us.

Got home last night and put away my deck furniture as well as my solar umbrella....into the garage...all the cushions for the chairs into a car for protection ...and in particular I removed all the 12x12 inch ceramic tiles from my deck table and also put them into one of my cars...for protection. chair frames are tied/lashed down...

May be a little overkill...but better prepared than not....just in case things turn badly south so to speak.

Am prepared to go to work today.....and we shall see if liberal leave is given as conditions deteriorate.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I got to thinking about this Lonewolf....

Mayhap not where you are located...but to my limited knowledge...there are some occasional and very fierce storms which pummel the UK...I think mostly up north....almost to ....if not at....hurricane speeds. I was a bit stunned to find this out some years ago.

Sometimes across to the main continent too. The N orth Atlantic can be a fierce some Mistress...so to speak..

Watcherchris,
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm going on the met office weather reports, and all of them downgrade a hurricane down to a storm, sometimes a severe storm with high-ish winds ( normally around 60-65mph ) with possible property damage, trees and power lines down but still not hurricane levels, and not that often.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yeah...Lonewolf....I too just checked with the National Hurricane Center here about hurricane Ian and it looks well downgraded....but still keeping abreast of things for now. Fingers crossed..!!!

National Hurricane Center (noaa.gov)

It is very calm outside with misting rain and very little wind. I had expected more wind than we have...but make no mistake..I am not complaining after some previous storms of the past..

Will continue to keep abreast of conditions here...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hurricane Ian crossed over Florida into the Atlantic as a storm. In the Gulf Stream it gained strength, became a catagory 1 hurricane and now has slammed into South Carolina.

"Hurricane Ian starts lashing South Carolina after leaving at least 21 reported dead and millions without power across Florida – Sheriff: Fatalities are in the hundreds"

https://strangesounds.org/2022/09/h...a-sheriff-fatalities-are-in-the-hundreds.html

upload_2022-9-30_19-6-56.png

"Ian Live Updates: 400,000+ Without Power In Carolinas, Search And Rescue Ongoing In Florida"

https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...-updates-friday-florida-deaths-south-carolina

Article quotes in color yellow-green:

Damage assessments are underway in South Carolina after Hurricane Ian made landfall there and search and rescue efforts are ongoing in Florida as the full scope of Hurricane Ian's damage is just coming into view, especially along the state's southwest Gulf Coast.

(6:30 p.m. ET) Outages Top 200,000 In North Carolina

More than 220,000 power outages are spread across central North Carolina as what was Hurricane Ian contines to move over land. Outages sit at about 190,000 in South Carolina, according to PowerOutage.us.

(6:18 p.m. ET) No Word On How Long Full Power Restoration Might Take In Florida

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis says some of the power grid was completely destroyed in Lee and Charlotte counties.

“The biggest challenge with power restoration is going to be in those areas that bore the brunt of the Category 4 plus, almost Category 5, impact where it may have uprooted some of the existing infrastructure," DeSantis said in an evening update. "Now that will be fixed, it’s just not something that gets fixed in 24 or 48 hours.”

More than 1.6 million homes and businesses remain without power across Florida. Seven counties are reporting between 60% and 100% of their utility customers have no electricity. The outages stretch from Collier County near the southern tip of the state up to St. Johns County, 350 miles to the northeast.

----------------------------------------------

Old Gzr: There is no knowing yet how many are dead in Florida. When told to get out, untold numbers decided to "ride it out". Many of these folks' bodies will never be found.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-ian-florida-alligators-snakes-floodwater/

"Flood water is dangerous," the Collier County government tweeted on Thursday afternoon. "We've received reports of sewage, alligators and snakes in flood water in our community. Please stay away."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Got off work last night at midnight...a full 8 hours. Wind gusted high a few times but not too badly..

Got home here to a lot of debris from my trees which I will be clearing up with my blower...later this morning.

Over all....we made out well here in Tidewater, Virginia.....knock on wood.!!

My preps may have been a bit of overkill...but no reason to drop one's guard....my preps are pretty much standard for storms and many of them remain in place year round..

Weather and or Mother Nature can be a very severe taskmaster..do not drop your guard when it comes to Mother Nature....be respectful.......even afraid!!!!

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Later-on this afternoon, like after 1600 - 1700 hours, there's some storms that could brew-up out your way. However, these won't cover an entire region. Kind'a random.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was raised on the Texas Gulf Coast and will tell you, you can't over prepare and prepare too soon. WHEN a storm comes in you had better have your situation ready. By the time the storm makes landfall the things that you thought that you wanted to buy will be long gone and it sucks driving a hundred miles to find bottle water or any of the other things that people seem to think they gotta have. Personally I never have understood the bottled water thing. I am OK with 5 or 10 gallons of tap water in gallon jugs.

Personally I always just fill up a bunch of gallon plastic milk jugs and pretty much always have about enough food in the house for a month. I'm really easy to feed. I like beans of all sorts and rice . Give me some corn bread to go with it and I am a happy camper. If the power is off I'm fine with tap water that I put in the gallon jugs that I alway have. They are twofers, jugs for catfishing and jugs if there is a storm for water.We can always make up a pot of soup or gumbo and rice is cheap and keeps for almost ever.

I'll go fishing and we can fry them up on my coleman stove. If it's winter I might pop a few sqirrels or rabbits. That doesn't count the meat in my chest freezer that will stay frozen for at least a week or ten days no problem.

When you are 25 miles one way from a grocery store, other than the convience stores, you tend to keep a lot more on hand.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are white, then you'd better do some more prepping. Commie Kamala sez that federal relief to hurricane victims will be biased by your race.

"Kamala Harris ripped for claiming government's Hurricane Ian relief will prioritize ‘communities of color’"

https://www.foxnews.com/media/kamal...-ian-relief-will-prioritize-communities-color

"Twitter hammered Vice President Kamala Harris for a recent speech in which she described that federal Hurricane Ian relief would be based on 'equity' and prioritize people in 'communities of color.'

"Speaking to actress Priyanka Chopra Jonas at the Democratic National Committee's Women's Leadership Forum on Friday, Harris claimed that people of color and low-income communities are most affected by natural disasters such as Hurricane Ian. Because of this, Harris described how federal relief should be given 'based on equity.'"

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    As I predicted, the mass media has pretty much stopped covering the damage done by hurricane Ian. Floridians and South Carolinians mainly vote conservative, so they are off the MSM radar.

In looking for info, I discovered that the people in this area who lost everything are cleaning-up and building back on their own. Gut wrenching. I'm gonna send some more money to the Salvation Army for their help with the hurricane survivors.

Looting hasn't been the issue as it has been the case after other tragedies in other states, but then in Florida and S.Carolina, you'll get shot for looting.

Not much media coverage out there, yet I have found videos concerning this mass tragedy, so here's an update on this catastrophe:

TMT Tactical likes this.