Hydrogen Cars Instead Of Electric ?

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Oct 16, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    The only one whose pushing for hydrogen instead of electric are Japanese automaker (Toyota in particular). My best guess is they worry they won't be getting enough raw materials supplies to produce enough cells

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

This is interesting.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What should be the name of the first model of the hydrogen car?

Any suggestions? I'll start.

The Hydrogen Bomb

If the company could be resurrected, one could purchase a Studebaker Watermaker

The Hindenhauler

The Element ... oh wait ... that's already taken.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    What more interesting is the Japanese is also pushing hydrogen infrastructure under G2G (Gov't to Gov't) framework. We even have hydrogen train here (which is seriously no brainer if you ask me). One thing for sure I can see Japanese automaker loosing market lead against new electric automaker particularly from local automaker or China. Even European automaker has already shifted heavily toward electric vehicle these days. I even sold my gasoline vehicle last year in the hope to bought electric vehicle in the next 6 years or so.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The world economies are going to collapse before any of these new technologies get off the ground.

There are over 7 Billion people on Earth right now. This time three years from now, the Earth's population is only going to be a fraction of that.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    LOL Anyone want to take a guess as to how hydrogen, this great "clean energy" is produced?

Mostly by coal and natural gas hydro carbons.

And electric cars are stupid as all hell. Especially for a very fragile electric grid where the idiot policy makers are tearing down power plants in replace of "clean wind and solar" which is not only expensive for the consumer, but the work in energy required to build them creates a TON of pollution that these clean sources can't even repay in their usable life time, let alone the fact the ONLY produce work out energy when its windy or sunny.

I've been saying it for years and years and on this forum if you remember. The only, ONLY Eco friendly vehicle now a days would be the natural gas powered hybrid configuration. We got three things going for it:

1) It's half as pollutant than gasoline.

2) In a hybrid configuration the engine is very small just to turn a generator charging a battery. So now your already half as pollutant natural gas is even more economically friendly based on it minuscule emissions with a small motor.

3) It's cheap and the U.S. is the world's number one producer.

Yes, you can just burn natural gas right from the tank, but in a hybrid configuration it would be even less pollutant.

Many people may not know this but, trains have always been hybrids. It's a giant diesel engine turning a giant electric motor. They do this for a super man amount of work out energy in foot*pounds.

I wondered if commercial air planes could use natural gas and found out NASA did it once. I'm not too sure if it can be done for commercial air travel without doing some research.

One bad thing about natural gas is that it drys out every thing. So the design has to mitigate that. With hydrogen you have water and now you have oxidation so I suppose metals that don't oxidize are used among other things.

Now note. In Iceland hydrogen is used because they can produce it without the use of fossil fuels from geo thermal. They're the lucky ones.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    The only clean way to make hydrogen is with newer generation nuclear power plants that use HTE (High Temperature Electrolysis). The hydrogen and oxygen atoms are separated not by electricity, but by the immense heat its self.

Now if everything was just nuclear, then bring on the electric car. LOL

I've been of the opinion that we should have our power come from mostly nuclear and then reprocess the spent fuel. For those areas like California or Alaska, they should use natural gas. I would also not build them in the New Madrid areas either. If near the ocean, their backup power needs to be secure from tidal waves. That either means a hardened facility for the generator/s and its air intake from a stack at least 100' high, or the generators them selves elevated to 100' high. Maybe higher, have to consult a tidal wave expert and the USGS.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL LOL...Hydrogen.....

How ironic...

The machine onboard a submarine which makes the oxygen for breathing is in fact a Hydrogen Generator..designed for commercial usage..

In commercial uses the generator is designed to keep the Hydrogen and dump the oxygen....

There were already in existnce huge Hydrogen Generators when this smaller unit was invented...and the inventor got no significant traction/contracts until they read of a requirement for an Oxygen Generator by the US Navy for Submarines. The inventor realized that his small design... which he could not sell commercially...was exactly what the US Navy needed for Submarines. You just had to reverse the cycle....dump the hydrogen and keep the oxygen.

This machine does this by electricity principles...separating by electricity the hydrogen from the Oxygen in sea water..

The name for this gear in local Navy onboard parlance is "The Bomb."

Nonetheless..this inventor had the right invention at the right time for Submarine usage...but the irony is that it was designed to make Hydrogen...not Oxygen.....

How strange life works out at times.

And now you know the rest of the story.....................

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Is not petroleum fuels..sometimes called Hydrocarbon..or Hydrocarbon based????

Hydrogen being one of the most powerful elements on the periodic table..

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Electrolysis is fine for a submarine, the ISS or space shuttle when it flew, but for large scale consumption it is not feasible unless you have a clean source of energy to make it like the aforementioned HTE from a nuclear power plant or if you have lots of geo thermal like in Iceland. As I already stated, hydrogen by and large right now is produced via fossil fuels like coal or natural gas. Its usage is more for specific applications rather than a major power source for vehicles.

Now in California they do have some geo thermal so perhaps what ever energy they can use from that can produce hydrogen. But you need LOTS of high voltage to produce the required amount of hydrogen for the masses. Looking at consumption vs. production and you better have a whole lot of electricity and geo thermal power stations to go around.

Again, a natural gas driven hybrid is by far the sanest choice.

TMT Tactical likes this.