Hydrogen Peroxide

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Photon Guy, Nov 12, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Photon Guy

Photon Guy Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    From what I know sometimes bleach is used in small amounts to purify water. For small amounts Im talking about a single drop of bleach for maybe a quart of water. Obviously you don't want to use too much bleach as its toxic to ingest. Anyway, I was thinking, is it safe to use Hydrogen Peroxide for cleaning drinking containers. If I want to clean out a container that I will use to store water for drinking would it be advisable to use Hydrogen Peroxide? I do know Hydrogen Peroxide is sometimes used as bleach and I would not put any Hydrogen Peroxide directly in any water intended for drinking, I would just use it to clean the container and I would thoroughly rinse the container afterwards, before putting any drinking water in it.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Mix the following amount of bleach with water, and wait 30 minutes for it to work. The water should have just a ‘hint’ of chlorine smell.

WATER – BLEACH RATIO FOR PURIFICATION
    (Bleach containing 5-6% Sodium Hypochlorite)
    numbers are ’rounded’

This will initially produce ~6 ppm chlorine

1 Quart water, 2 drops bleach
    1 Gallon water, 8 drops bleach
    5 Gallons water, 1/2 teaspoon bleach
    10 Gallons water, 3/4 teaspoon bleach
    50 Gallons water, 4 teaspoons bleach

WATER – BLEACH RATIO FOR PURIFICATION
    (Bleach containing 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite)
    numbers are ’rounded’

This will initially produce ~6 ppm chlorine

1 Quart water, 1 drop bleach
    1 Gallon water, 6 drops bleach
    5 Gallons water, 1/4 teaspoon bleach
    10 Gallons water, 1/2 teaspoon bleach
    50 Gallons water, 3 teaspoons bleach

Understand that once the bottle is opened the bleach starts to weaken.

Calcium-hypoclorite used as a powder for pools is cheaper,more stable and a lot easier to carry around.

Below is a good article on this.

http://survivaltopics.com/better-than-bleach-use-calcium-hypochlorite-to-disinfect-water/

EarlyMarksman likes this.