I have anxiety issues

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Aimee, May 21, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    I have severe anxiety issues and have panic disorder. This in its self causes a lot of worry during day to day life and I could not imagine how frightening it would be to deal with a life or death situation during times of having to survive a catastrophic event. I constantly worry that I will not be prepared enough in the event of a catastrophe and feel like I would not be helpful to my family if I needed to be. Is there anyone else that feels this way? I'm glad to have stumbled across this forum as I feel that it will be very helpful to me but I also feel like during a crisis I may not be able to remember what I've learned. Thoughts on this?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I am very careful with my husband when it comes to crisis because he used to have anxiety attacks. His limbs would go numb and he would have difficulty in breathing. In fact, we always have his tranquilizer in the medicine cabinet. In fairness to him, he only takes the medication when he feels that he couldn't control the attack and most of the time he could control it. Even in ordinary times, the anxiety attack can occur depending on the mindset of the person. As what the doctor said, anxiety attack is partly due to lack of confidence.

In our previous home when waist-high floodwaters would fill the living room when the rain is excessively pouring, I used to notice the anxiety in my husband. He talked as if he was shivering. And I would immediately get a tablet and hand it to him. But most of the time, he would refuse saying he could still control the anxiety attack. I have observed that when he is conscious of the impending attack, he is more equipped in handling it.

Aimee likes this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Your fears control you!
    You are a slave to fear!

Take control and release yourself
    By easing yourself into your fears you can take control!
    What ever you fear go to it in small amounts take control!

Aimee likes this.
  4. JThePoster

JThePoster New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I feel like a therapist or going to hear an inspirational speaker or something like that would help a lot. It's always good to be prepared for a catastrophic event, but worrying about it will do no good. After all, it's unlikely the world will come to an end soon. There's still plenty of things on this world that we still have to explore before that ever even happens.

Aimee likes this.
  5. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    I am very sorry that your husband deals with anxiety issues as well but I am very glad that he seems to be able to control it on his own. I have anti anxiety medication as well that I take once a day and then only as needed. It is frustrating to deal with and even more so when you feel like you are not able to be in charge when something catastrophic happens.

Yes I am and will definitely agree with you. I do need to try better to get the fear under control as it has taken many things from me. I can not be fearful all the time. Now that times are getting harder and anything could happen at any day I need to figure out how to help keep the anxiety at bay so that I can focus on helping if a survival situation arises.

I've actually gone to a couple of therapists in the past and they were not able to help me but there is something called cognitive behavioral therapy that is given by certain therapists that I want to do. The only problem is my lack of money and health insurance. My health insurance will sadly not cover therapists and they can be very expensive.

6. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Find where the fear is coming from and it is your fear so you do know where it is coming from!
    Find it! Pull it into the light and examine it!
    examine it, know it, master it and discard it!

"FOR THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF"

Aimee likes this.
  7. BigD

BigD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I know sometimes it is easier said than done to try and overcome anxiety and related conditions. What's really helped me with anxiety is reading Zen books and books on mindfulness or meditation. A common theme among these philosophies is learning to live in the present. Each has some techniques that help people focus on living in the moment. The philosophy of mindfulness has also increased my general awareness of my surroundings. A book I read on Buddhist meditation talked about "bare attention" as a everyday practice to hone your mind. It essentially just means taking stock of your surroundings and the moment you're in. Definitely a lot of good survival and life skills to be learned from those philosophies.

My biggest recommendation is to try to focus on living in the present. If you find yourself overcome with anxiety about the future, practice just looking around yourself, talking stock of the surroundings. This can also include running through some really basic strings of thought to cement your awareness of reality. "I am sitting in a chair. My legs are in jeans. I can feel denim on my legs. The air is blowing around me and in me." You kind of get into a trance of hyper awareness that can help your worries melt away. Of course, to make them stay away, you have to really change your outlook, but that's what these philosophies help you do. This is just a basic practice that keeps me sane during school or work.

In true functionalist fashion, I thought I'd point out that this has potential use in emergency situations as well. Practicing that hyper-awareness and mental clarity may prove useful in an emergency when everyone else is losing their head. Look into some books! I believe the one I read was called "the heart of Buddhist meditation". I don't really remember because the book had no cover. It really opened my eyes to the world and allowed me to confront myself and become comfortable with just myself.

Aimee likes this.
  8. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    BigD
    that's what I do everyday or something very close
    though I have never read anything on the subject!

Aimee likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't have anxiety issues, I have trust issues-I trust no one, but I don't have anxiety issues.:D

Aimee likes this.
  10. Dilof

Dilof New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I have anxiety issues too but I take medication for that and it seems to work.

Aimee likes this.
  11. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Aimee, have you been to the doctor? There are meds for this. And medicines can be very affordable. Sam's Club Pharmacy is a great place to get affordable, generic meds, but you have to have the plus membership. It is well worth it when you need the meds! Don't spend your life like that, get help.

Aimee likes this.
  12. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I have been many times over the years and am currently on medication but it doesn't seem too helpful. Thank you so much!

13. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I have anxiety and panic disorder, as well as PTSD. My symptoms used to be a lot worse than they are now. A lot of counselling and facing my fears have helped, but unfortunately, they have never gone away completely. Some of my anxiety and PTSD actually stems from an emergency disaster situation that I was in, but what doesn't kills us, makes us stronger. At least that's the philosophy I'm adopting at the moment!

Aimee likes this.
  14. martorano_e

martorano_e New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Coming from a fellow anxiety sufferer, I completely understand what it's like to worry you won't be in the best mindset in the event of a crisis. The most important thing to realize is that nobody expects one person to be able to fix the world. As hard as it is (and trust me I know this is easier said then done), you have to try your hardest to remain calm and level minded. Taking a few deep breaths will help along with reassuring yourself that everything will be fine. Utilize any resources you have around you in the time of crisis, ex. cell phones, medical supplies, neighbors, etc.. Go over basic emergency procedures in your home in the event something drastic occurs, make action plans for everyone to follow. Understand too that you are not alone in feeling this way.

Aimee likes this.
  15. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think everyone has anxiety about this--not just those with anxiety disorders. I, too, suffer from severe anxiety, but I tell myself some positive affirmations: That I am good enough, that there are things only I can do.
    Remind yourself that, if in the event of a catastrophe, people will be relying on you. Your family will be looking to your for that special thing you have inside. You are a loved one, and you love others in return. So be strong for those who need you! In a terrible situation, do you truly want to give in to your anxiety and not be able to protect them? Of course not. Within that thought, give yourself strength. Preparedness, like plans for evacuation and knowing you have supplies to survive or care for injuries, can also relieve some of the apprehension.

As @Lisa Davis stated, "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

Aimee likes this.
  16. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm horribly late at replying and I'm so sorry. I'm also so sorry you have those issues but you are so right about the "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger". That is a great quote and I've always liked it but the anxiety overpowers my thinking unfortunately. I do think with counseling I'll be able to get well I just need to find a good counselor.

17. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for your reply. It is quite hard to get in that mindset once the anxiety takes over BUT in the event of a crisis I will have to focus on survival for not just me but for my family and I do believe it'll be alright. I just really hope I never have to be in that situation but preparation is key.

18. Aimee

Aimee Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so very much! I'm sorry I'm late at replying to this. This is a very good thing to keep telling myself and I'll definitely work on it. Also, you are so right..I'm sure it isn't just an anxious persons fears as it is a valid fear for anyone. Irrational fears are what I normally have and I'm sure you understand this all too well. Thanks again!

19. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yoga will put you in compelling positions while rationally unwinding your psychological view about how you percieve events that are troublesome. The genuine key is to practice keeping yourself as calm as you possibly can, discover yourself and find anyone to comfort and let yourself know you will be okay as this has happened many times and nothing awful ever real happens aside from the irregularities of the heart, substantial breathing and apprehension of the strangest things. The main focus is to learn how to control the manner by which you see everyday situations.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Aimee likes this.
  20. HealthandVitality

HealthandVitality New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hi Aimee, I had the same problem once upon a time, but I have learned over the years that fear/anxiety attacks your mind, if you entertain it, then it gets a foot hold in your mind and the cycle just keeps repeating itself. I took a course in Behavior Medicine and BM teaches that fears are just thoughts that pop up in your head for whatever reason, they can come through people, watching TV etc. The point is that when these fearful thoughts come to your mind, you do not have to entertain them, focus on something that uplifts you, beautiful thoughts, wonderful memories etc, do not give attention to the thought. It will be hard to start with but if you keep at it, sooner or later those thoughts that cause fear/anxiety will not have any power over you. It worked for me and I hope that it can provide some form of relief for you.

Aimee likes this.
  21. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    You are among friends. I, too, suffer from panic attacks. HealthandVitality is correct. I always carry something with me to read, to color, etc. to divert my thoughts should they start going in the wrong direction. This has really helped. Currently, I have crossword puzzles in my purse to help while others have MP3 players with their favorite music.

22. NormaD

NormaD New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I also had this condition a few years back, and I could hardly function in my work and at home. What really helped my was meditation. I meditate for only 15 minutes a day (used to be an hour) and I'm now so much calmer and confident.

23. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I feel this way too, which is one of the reasons why I don't consider spending time in the wild by myself. If I were to get lost or something, I would certainly have an anxiety attack that wouldn't be helpful at all. If you're going to survive in isolation/in the wild, I suggest you bring some medications that will help you stay calm if you need to. I, for one, would bring something like 0,25mg clonazepam, which isn't strong and won't make you sleep, but will kill an anxiety attack in a minute.

24. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I know sometimes it is easier said than done to try and overcome anxiety and related conditions. What's really helped me with anxiety is reading Zen books and books on mindfulness or meditation. A common theme among these philosophies is learning to live in the present. Each has some techniques that help people focus on living in the moment. The philosophy of mindfulness has also increased my general awareness of my surroundings. A book I read on Buddhist meditation talked about "bare attention" as a everyday practice to hone your mind. It essentially just means taking stock of your surroundings and the moment you're in. Definitely a lot of good survival and life skills to be learned from those philosophies.

My biggest recommendation is to try to focus on living in the present. If you find yourself overcome with anxiety about the future, practice just looking around yourself, talking stock of the surroundings. This can also include running through some really basic strings of thought to cement your awareness of reality. "I am sitting in a chair. My legs are in jeans. I can feel denim on my legs. The air is blowing around me and in me." You kind of get into a trance of hyper awareness that can help your worries melt away. Of course, to make them stay away, you have to really change your outlook, but that's what these philosophies help you do. This is just a basic practice that keeps me sane during school or work.

In true functionalist fashion, I thought I'd point out that this has potential use in emergency situations as well. Practicing that hyper-awareness and mental clarity may prove useful in an emergency when everyone else is losing their head. Look into some books! I believe the one I read was called "the heart of Buddhist meditation". I don't really remember because the book had no cover. It really opened my eyes to the world and allowed me to confront myself and becomecomfortable with just myself.

25. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I remember a friend gave me this acrostics:

F alse
    E vidence
    A ppearing
    R eal

We need to remember, what we tell ourselves is going to happen in the future is false.
    My heart does go out to those who struggle with anxiety. I pray you will defeat this and find freedom.

26. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    The anxiety is more a subject of control for me, before I suffered a lot of anxiety because I let the problems of day to day surpassed me and simply gave in front of her, right now dont let in over take me and i face those factor who generates me anxiety or just avoid it sometimes.