I think learning how to farm fruits and vegetables are important for hydration.

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by tb65, May 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Staying hydrated is important, the more fruits and vegetables you eat the less hard pressed you have to be for water. In a survival situation you have to find a sustainable source of water, but even when you do it's going to be hard work to keep bringing it back to where you live. Most people would think it makes since to live right next to the water source, but if a storm comes you'll be at risk of having flood damage. Having a lot of fruits and vegetables to eat especially the kind that are mostly water, could help you stay hydrated without having to use up all your water supply so quickly. This is one reason I believe long term survival away from civilization with out farming is impossible. What do you think?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You are never going to consume enough liquids from fruit & veg without overeating. Growing your own food is essential, but you have to have a water supply for yourself & the gardens.
    Keith.

3. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    How are you going to grow fruits and vegetables without water? That right seems like a catch 22 situation... you don't have water? Eat fruits and veggies... but, you need water to grow those fruits and veggies.

4. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't take much water to grow fruit and veggies. Plants usually get enough water from underground. I never knew this until college and I'm a Biology major. It's crucial to water them a little every now and then during hot weather. Fruits and veggies to provide liquids but not enough to survive. Like stated above, you will have to overeat.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    When in a survival situation, I agree that fruits can be partly a source of water especially the citrus which is naturally juicy. So if there is no source of water for drinking and there are fruits, even berries can provide a substitute for water. I have read a story of an African called bush tribe where water is very scarce. The bush men are hunters but they are also gatherers when there are fruits around. I couldn't believe that they survive without drinking water. I wonder how they eat their catch, say an animal that they roast for a barbecue. Without water to drink, they might gag on the food. But my husband said that those bush men may have bodies that are accustomed to the dry lifestyle that they are content in drinking the morning dew.

And in regards to farming with no water source, that is possible because in the rural areas here, most farms are located in the mountain that sometimes as far as a 5-hour walk. They only plant crops when they are sure that the rains would persist. Corn are planted that way. They come back to the farm when they estimated that it was nearing harvest time. That means they don't irrigate their crops anymore since the plants are dependent only on the rains.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    human beings need to consume between 2-5 litres(1 gallon) of water per day every day, your not going to get that from fruit and veg, you need a constant and secure source of clean drinking water, if you don't have that in a survival situation you wont be around long enough to harvest your fruit and veg.

7. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Maybe there is a way to already store enough water beforehand. Just start by filling bottles with water and storing them in a good place, so you have water in such an emergency. It would also be wise to grow your own fruits and vegetables. I think you would have to chose wisely which fruits and vegetables you should grow. I guess growing as many bananas and watermelons as possible, for example, will help because eating bananas helps against your thirst and watermelon has enough juice that keeps you hydrated at least for a good amount of time.

8. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    In order to grow fruits and vegetables you need a lot of water. Now let's take it on another scenario where you are in the bush and dying of thirst. Picking up a wild watermelon might quench your thirst. But how many of you actually seen a wild watermelon before. I've heard stories of them in the past, but not this day and age. Besides wouldn't the body need to water to digest anything properly. It's like trying to eat a mouthful of crackers and nothing to wash it down.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    There are many instances where I go out into the wild and I see fruit trees growing and producing without any immediate water sources, therefore, some fruit trees do not need a great amount of water to thrive. Vegetables, on the other hand, may not be as resilient as the fruit trees and may need lots of water, care, and attention.

10. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    It would be extremely important to have a good, inexhaustible supply of potable water. Your garden will depend on it, your animals will depend on it, and your family will also. The old wells, with the hand drawn bucket would be very practical if you can get that rigged up and in place. My aunt had that system in the mid 70's and I still remember drawing up the bucket and getting a drink directly out of the well.

11. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I completely agree with you. Water is a basic need of our body and as a first resource we should seek it first. I've seen some gums that you put in the water and it purifies it, which is really useful if you find yourself in a muddy lake and you are in need of water. Also, systems of water purification should be bought in order to maximize the amount of clean water you own.