Ideas On A Tactical Pen?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by DubbaD, Jul 28, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DubbaD

DubbaD Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    Good morning everyone. I'm looking for a good tactical pen to add to my EDC. I did a quick internet search and was quickly overwhelmed by the plethora of brands, prices, styles, etc. I dont want to break the bank, but I want a good product at a reasonable price. What would you suggest?

2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
  3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I considered getting one I could use a Kubaton. Is there one good for that?

TMT Tactical and DubbaD like this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon DubbaD,

There are many products because the users span the entire community.

My needs are for all weather, especially wet environments and small, lightweight. Thus, I carry a Rite in the Rain based in Tacoma, Washington) small pen. It is not an inexpensive model...their entire catalog has expensive stuff.

Just for information, there's a pen that has a computer function. You write in script - or print - on a clipboard and back at the BOP or EOC, the pen can be uploaded to a computer.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I love fountain pens, especially those with an italic tip.

The old glass ink bottles were constructed of HEAVY glass. I have some of my dad's.

Fountain pens have their problems, such as leaking when carrying up into the mountains; higher altitude = lower air pressure = ink comes oozing out of your fountain pen. Thus the ready acceptance of ball-point pens when they came out.

I have some fancy fountain pens.

Too, I've put back lots of plain old lead pencils with #2 lead, i.e. soft. Soft writes darker.

If you've got ink and a fountain pen, you are in the writing business, same with pencil and paper. Think Zippo. If you've got naphtha and a flint Zippo, you are in the business of starting fires / lighting cigars.

Easier storing bottles of ink than pen refills. Cartridge reloaders I'd see as people who'd like fountain pens. Same with those into muzzle-loading. (One day I'm going to break down and buy me a black powder revolver & lead ball mold. Gotta have multiple shots. Looking at ammo prices yesterday = ahhhhhhh!!!!!)

If it works, it works.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

Much high-quality history presented above.

Reminded me of the Royal Blue ink made famous by J. Edgar Hoover. The ink was in a glass jar with top section to fill fountain pen without ink getting all over pen.

Captains Lewis and Clark of US Army's Corps of Discovery made better pen and ink maps than field reports I must read (try to read) with today's "modern" instruments. Was even told a Panasonic Tough Pad would replace the "old-fashioned" writing instruments. How do you write LOL with a smirking, southern accent ?!

The picture with the candle lamp allows for discussion of term "red tape". My 2nd home was Hong Kong before retiring and used (still have) ink seals and embossing seals in both English and Chinese. Again, much history background to development of all this.

How many can even guess origins of term "pen knife" ?

Lost to numerous relocations but once had a box of "indilible pencils"....dip point in water for ink to appear on paper.

DubbaD and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    When I had to dress more formally for work, specifically coat and tie, I used to carry Cross pens. Now with everything going casual I no longer carry a pen EDC, so I have no opinion on Tactical Pens. Here is a link you might check. Do a You Tube search for Tactical Pens, and you will get a ton of opinions. See if one works for you.

DubbaD likes this.
  9. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Is it just me, or does the audio keep cutting out on Morgan's video?

DubbaD and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Looks like the sound cut out around the 3:20 mark. It was O.K. until then, after, everything went silent.

DubbaD, Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes audio does cut in and out.

DubbaD and Sonofliberty like this.