If We Look, We Can Learn From The Demise Of These Forums, We Love.

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Sourdough, Jun 13, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    If we LOOK, we can learn from the demise of these forums, we LOVE.

What can we learn about our or "YOUR" response,
    What can we learn about others response,
    What have we learned to is relevant to functioning of a group in a long term bleak Post SHTF survival environment.

Please list the good......even much more valuable, is list the bad or foolish.

Note to those from the "Homestead Forum" A lot of us here were members of a wonderful Survival Forum called: "Survival Magazine". Well over a year ago that forums Owner and Administrator vanished, so we migrated here for survival, we soon learned that this forum also has a vanished Owner and Administrator.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    We did a lot of thing well, evidenced by we still exist as a group with some amount of cohesion. We have also failed in some important areas.

We are the merging of a few different tribes, here at this point on this forum. We have had a few attacks, and our police-moderators have resolved those.

We still don't know "WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING" to these forums, or if we substitute this for a Massive post SHTF, we might be long into that SHTF and not know "What Happened".

This demise of these forums. Really is a great study of human behavior, at the group and individual level.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    One thing interesting, and very-very-very important is that all of the moderators abandoned the "Survival Magazine Forum" well before the members. Yes, "moderator Buggyout" is still very partly moderating. But there is a lesson in that the moderators vanished. Also that the members were pretty much lost and confused, bewildered till someone said lets go over to "My Survival Forum", which has turned out to be a Super Great Survival Forum.

Caribou, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Also interesting......that as a group we continued to function well, with no moderators or administrators at "Survival Magazine". But we were lucky we never had a serious hacking attack or spamming attack.

There really is a lot to learn from all of this.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    A side question: What type of attacks to a forum like this forum can TWO "Moderators" handle......??? And what type of attacks to this forum require Administrator level money and resolution.....???

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Somebody is hosting this site and paying for it. When they stop paying it will get turned off like a light bulb. The owner is the only person that can pay because nobody else is authorized and has the numbers and passwords. So often what happens is someone starts a board and unless they make the effort to have others included in the running of the board with full priviledgeswhen they die it dies. It is hard to find people that you can share this level of trust with. Read some of the posts and threads on this forum about how trusting most people here are.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  7. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes........I have seen spamming on another forum that took a dozen "Moderators" the better part of two days to clean-up with Administrator help. And it got "Super Spammed" the day after. I know that "Hackers" messed up the Survival Magazine Forum, so bad that a very popular forum experienced everyone leaving, because for a very very long time you could not post.

Grizzlygirl knows about this stuff, and I know pretty much zero. But my shallow understanding is that some things require the Administrator, and a lot of the Administrators Green Cash to hire outside professionals to fix. If any of what I just posted is valid, this forum could be toast at any time without a active Administrator.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We are very limited in what we can do IBME, that is why I have been trying to contact the Admin. We can remove posts, we can remove members, that I think is all we can do. There is or was a third moderator, but I have not seen any posts from him for a while now.
    Keith.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank You ten thousand times..........I greatly appreciate the response.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    forums come and forums go, I have been a member of several that are no longer active.
    nothing we can do about that, we cant make people contribute, many forums have more lurkers than contributors, if people want a forum to remain they have to use it.

TMT Tactical likes this.