If you had only one book

Discussion in 'Books' started by Iohndee, Jun 23, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Iohndee

Iohndee New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Books are one of the greatest resources for survival. Authors from different walks of life share with us their expertise and experience. Between the covers of some of these books, we can learn a lot.

While some books capture only a few aspects, there are others that could be quite comprehensive. If you could have just only one book for your survival, which one would it be and why?

2. Deeishere

Deeishere Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    There is this one book but the name escapes me. I saw this guy on a TV show. He talks about the basic things we need for survival in many situations. He provided practical advice on things we need to have in our household. I wish I would have purchased the book but now the site I saw it on doesn't have it. Hopefully, I will learn from people who posts on here about any survival books.

3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    If I only had one book I'd probably choose a fiction book that I enjoy rather than a book that would help me survive. That's pretty stupid but if I could only read one book again it would be a Terry Pratchett Discworld book so that I wouldn't go mad.

4. Jea

Jea New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I would also choose a fantasy novel over a survival guide. It would help me stay sane ironically. I'd pick an uplifting book maybe like the last Harry Potter. Harry Potter an his friends survived all kinds of life threatening things and it wold help boost morale.

I find it funny that you'd pick Discworld since one of the characters is Death. What a great way to be on Death's good side while you're out in the wilderness than to read about it. I love it, haha!

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    i'd want a book that helped me survive not some fiction novel, something by the great John Seymour or maybe one of the modern titles explaining how to survive on less than one acre.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  6. ZipMedia

ZipMedia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I would download the plaintext variant of Wikipedia, which is, to my knowledge, around 14 gigs. Provided I had some sort of PDA I could charge through natural means, it would probably be an enormous asset.

MKprepper likes this.
  7. Ted Nugent

Ted Nugent New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    The Patriots by James Wesley Rawls or the Out of the Ashes series by William W. Johnstone.

koolhandlinc and GS AutoTech like this.
    1. koolhandlinc
      I have read the Patriots. I will check out Out of the Ashes.

koolhandlinc, Jul 24, 2017
  8. lonewolf

380/460

Blog Posts:
    John Seymours Guide to Self Sufficiency.

Ystranc likes this.
  9. Bushdoctor

Bushdoctor Expert Member
      123/149

Blog Posts:
    Quite agree.

10. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think I would opt for a great survival book. It sounds like the self sufficency guide as mentioned above would be a great book to have. I think having a how to guide and how to survive in any cirumstance would be very helpful. I am not very good with my hands so some simple construction techniques would be good to have.

11. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I would probably go for a survival book... Fiction can be enjoyable, but I'd have to survive, not to have fun!
    The Survival Guide by Gem Collins would probably be my pick, after the suggestions and reviews I read about it.

12. Chiari

Chiari New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I'd go for an edible wild plants book or a survival medicine manual. Any recommendation?

13. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I would prefer a science fiction book ("The Hunger Games"... one of my favorite books of all time, for example) that would take me to another reality and not one book that reinforced me a reality that I am already inserted.

A utopian place / reality makes me more motivated than dealing with my the place / reality (especially with the current reality of our real world).

14. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I'd also for sure pick a good survival book over a fiction one. If I only had one single book I'd want to improve my chances of survival not decrease them.

I'd most likely take Bushcraft 101 written by Dave Canterbury. It's one of my favorite and hands down, best survival books I've read. It has all information you could possibly need in such situations. Plus you can get it in one of those small paperback editions and just carry it in your pocket.

15. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    What!? Is this possible?
    How do we even?

I think you may have won this thread.
    It'd be a task discarding all of the trash though, like the entry on Ariana Grande or some random show that aired for three weeks in the 80's. Still, the gems you could get from it would be enormous.

I'd do this, and hopefully by then have the Qur'an memorised so I always have that too.

16. lonewolf

380/460

Blog Posts:
    "How to survive the end of the world as we know it" -tactics, techniques and technologies for uncertain times.......James Wesley Rawles.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  17. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Well, if I'd have the option to choose one, I'd pick a Hungarian one called A Journey Around My Skull from Frigyes Karinthy. It's not about surviving in the nature, it's about how this (well-know) writer survived brain cancer. He writes down his feelings and experiences (there are even original notes from the time when he had the surgery done) in a funny way, so if I'd be alone, surviving, this book would give me strenght.

18. ryanhamlet

ryanhamlet New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Any edition of the Boy Scout Handbook would have all the basics and several advanced survival skills covered. Plus, it includes other fun activities, songs, and games to keep the mind occupied, which I think would be extremely valuable once our iPhones stop working

19. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I would take a book on survival. I would take Seymours book perhaps as everyone here seems to think that is a great resource. Any other book with the exception of something like the bible would get old. A book on herbal remedies and plant idenitification would likely also be helpful to surviving anywhere.

20. Xperienced

Xperienced New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    If I had only one book, it will be the book of Proverbs in the bible. I learn a great deal how to live life. It is full of wisdom and practical consequences of certain action from a man inspired by God and full of experience. I made it a duty to read proverbs every day of my life.I so much the king James version/rendition

GS AutoTech likes this.
  21. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    The bible for the spirit most definitely. Any book on homesteading, medical / medicine in any form, plants, herbs, tactics, defense, Historical living. Any thing your brain could absorb & apply to sustainability. Those books should be being read now & referenced later

22. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Well-Known Member
      73/115

Blog Posts:
    I have several field guides to edible plants and medicinal plants. Would be good to combine them into one big book.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  23. Ystranc

Ystranc Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    Depends on how far I have to carry it but I'd like the encyclopaedia Britanica.