If You Must Leave The Area, What Are Your Backup Plans? Explore Backups For Plan B Or C...

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by GrizzlyetteAdams, Feb 10, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    If you MUST leave the area in the event of a regional or widespread disaster, what are your backup plans? Do you have alternative backup plans for your backup?

No matter how carefully we pick our primary and secondary emergency bug-out locations, there is no such thing as a completely “disaster-proof” area. Do you have a second or even third alternative location in mind?

Perhaps, like many, you are still working on securing your primary bug-out plan but it hasn’t happened yet because of finances or other logistics... Some would prefer to wait until they have enough money to ensure relative comfort rather than pure survival. For example, they may be struggling to save for land and a house rather than just raw land where a tent or one-room shack would be better than nothing at all.

I have lived on my bug-out land for many years, but have had to use alternative plans more than once. That led me to draw plans B, C, D, E, and even F for the fubar times (Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition).

-----------------------

Plan B - reciprocal friends/family support group within a 50-150 mile radius.

Plan C - (If I need to leave the entire region): grab-n-go the essentials in backpacks and this game hauler cart pictured below. (It can haul up to 750 lbs worth of stuff, and also has side braces, securing straps, and tow bar for towing behind a vehicle if necessary.) If for some reason I need to abandon my ride and hoof it, my essentials are portable. (If the SHTF looks to be severe and widespread I will not be hauling much in the vehicle other than ourselves, backpacks and game haulers. The vehicle is only as good as the fuel supply, which may not last long.)

Plan D - Currently have a climate-controlled storage unit in a very small town near friends/family that do not live in my area. In the event that the climate control aspect is no longer functional for some reason, it will have served its purpose to extend the life of my supplies up to that point. This small town in a remote, rural area does not carry as much of a nightmare risk as a city. I opted for the storage unit out of courtesy to friends/family. Not everyone has unlimited space, etc. No need to saddle anyone with the responsibility of holding my stuff, plus it gives me more flexibility.

Plan E - (have not done this yet) Rent small, alternate storage units further out, but also near friends/family. For many years, I have cultivated these reciprocal support groups which span thousands of miles throughout Canada, USA, Mexico, and elsewhere. We are a tight bunch of good people who have looked out for each other and have stood the test of time and trials for many years. Outside of this tested-by-fire group, I trust no one.

Plan F - When everything goes completely FUBAR and I cannot reach or contact anyone in my support group by phone, I will need to travel there grey-man style: perhaps after dark until the earliest morning hours just before daylight to reduce the risk of being detected by others. What I have in my backpack and cart will be too valuable to others to risk traveling in the open. (Bonus: if needed, this game hauler could also haul an injured person.)

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-Shot-Game-Cart-Tow/dp/B071KLC8PP

Image:

5797b525a75c501b83bad430ac8ac2ba.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    coffee, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    This cart would be very useful in an evac. I have plans for following rail road lines, to my family destination. Travel by night, using Themal and Night vision devices to make sure I don't walk into unexpected company. You can find all the rail road lines, active and abandoned with a google search. Travel by roads should not be a consideration as they are primary ambush sites, with too many choke points. JM2C

Sourdough likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully we will not have to leave our home in the forest, but if we do, we will be heading South further into the wilderness. We have several diesel 4WDs, but if we can't get out by road then we will go on foot. We are prepared for this.
    Keith.

4. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't think the idea of (or implementing) a plan B, C, D, etc. is cost-effective to most of us. Not being a rich person, I figured that I had enough money saved up to follow what I considered my most realistic plan (sell house, move to rural area, buy land, buy house) rather than to develop a bunch of interlocking plans, which would eat up most of my savings before I could procure and develop my main post-SHTF location.

Any "backup" or "backup- to-my-backup" plan, unless it were to another completely safe place to live, would require that I acquire or maintain the same infrastructure that I already have. Leaving my mini-farm via primitive transportation with just enough stuff that I can carry would make me the very opposite of a post-SHTF survivor: a refugee.

If Kimberly, Idaho were to go down -- even if I had a bug-out location available -- what would make it any safer? I could be another hundred miles ahead of a pandemic or extreme climate changes, but without a house, a garden, my livestock, tools, knowledge of the area, helpful neighbors and friends, and all the comforts that I have now. And even if I did spend a hundred thousand bux on a plot of land and a cabin in Broken Pelvis, Montana; Roachspit, Texas; or East Jesus, West Virginia, what would be the chances of getting there in one piece -- and of getting there and not finding that someone has already taken it over and didn't want to share?

In a perfect world, I could fly my private jet to my other home in Osorno, Chile or Dunedin, New Zealand; but the way I look at it, Perfect is the enemy of Good Enough.

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You brought back a memory from long ago. It is easy to build a bicycle type cart that rides on the rails. This really would work well and allow you to also carry more than just what you could carry in aback pack. The ones that I remember looked a little like this only it was not so neat since it was welded up by a bunch of kids.
    3977b86a0621c15946657ec1212ddf46.jpeg

More pictures of this idea...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...cycle+for+riding+on+railroad+tracks&FORM=IGRE

6. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the key factor is weight (the ability for one person to mount and dismount off the rails) and of course load capacity. You would move much faster with a rail mounted rig but that could also make people too careless about checking for unwelcome visitors. I did check into these devices but due to the weight and storage problems, decided the game cart would be more practical, for me. Now the rail rigs could be an outstanding solution for others.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You need to go and look at the pictures on the page that the HTTP will take you to. A lot of the bikes they show are just regular bicycles with a light outrigger to stabilize you on the rail. If you built it right it would be no more trouble to store or get on and off the rails than any bicycle.

8. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    That is very true but they also did not have much carrying capacity. I am sure something could be built and would work amazingly well but I did not spot one, that would have worked for me. Again, not saying they are not great for most others but weight, space and carrying capacity, not to mention cost (remember I am El Cheapo) did not meet my needs. A tricycle (big boy size) with a game cart attached, does meet my needs. Slow enough to allow for the needed security checks but also allows for more supplies to be hauled by one person. The tricycle and game cart will fit between the tracks and if you are ambition, you could rig a few out riggers from the big wheels to allow faster and easier rail travel, without adding much weight. Front wheel would provide the propulsion and back wheels off the ground (on the rails) would make travel faster and easier. Bike to the rail road track, flip down rail guides down and off you go.

GrizzlyetteAdams and Sourdough like this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I suspect that you could make something like a motorcycle with a side car that was bicycle powered. I really do think that traveling the rails is a great idea even if you are walking it. Train tracks don't ever have steep grades so you don't have that to fight. they also tend to run out in the country side and people don't build on the tracks like they did at one time and do now along major highways. Travel at night will be easy compared to woods trails and safer than highways.Even just a wagon that would ride on the tracks would make your life a lot easier since you could carry more with less effort.

10. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Now I had not thought about just converting a wagon for the tracks, great idea. Much easier to do and could haul all the needed supplies. Yes night travel on the tracks was my game plan, If I needed to bug out to my kids place or they to me. While night vision and /or Thermal will not help in identifying friend or foe, in an evac situation along the railroad tracks, they will all be foe's. Most good night vision and Thermal will detect humans out to hundreds of yards. Enough time to allow you to move the wagon and supplies off the tracks and into some concealment. Then you can keep an eye out to their intentions. That could be done with simple extend-able axles or simply build a wagon wide enough for the tracks. Light box frame, flat base and just some tie down hooks, to tie the load off with. Now you have gotten my mind racing on designs. Thanks for the wagon idea.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My daughter had a thing that you could hook on the back of a bicycle that had room for two kids and some supplies that was nearly wide enough to adapt to tracks. It was light tubular framed with canvas body and even a clear plastic windshield and was covered so the little ones were out of the sun. It didn't weigh anything and was amazingly strong.

12. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I would sure love to see a picture or link to that wagon. It is very interesting concept. Now just watch, the SHTF and the railroad lines will be packed full of preppers using this thing to move along with.

Sourdough likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  14. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    So many people will have the same idea of traveling along railways that it won't be long before it will be just as dangerous, if not more so, as traveling along roads.

The railway idea has been mulled over for decades by the prepper-survivalist communities, as well as by laypeople who live near the tracks. Of all the people Out There during a societal breakdown, encountering not-so-nice survivalists would be among the most dangerous people to deal with, because they will also likely be well armed and trained in the use of night vision/heat imaging equipment...and have the same mindset/goals as us. Gang members will also quickly learn to lay in wait for easy strategic ambushes. And, if there are more of them than you can handle...well, there's that...

Traveling off the beaten path is risky too because you may encounter fences, private landowners and their dogs...

Speaking of traveling...

For so many obvious reasons, being a refugee is the LAST thing any of us want to do, but I know that unless I make advance plans for the unthinkable, I could be worse than just a refugee...I will be an unprepared refugee.

It is reprehensible for me to think that someday I might be forced to leave the fruits of decades of my shelter-in-place labors. If I am faced with a drastically urgent reason to leave, I want to have an idea of what is truly the next best thing to do, and hopefully not be forced into a half-baked plan that has not been adequately researched.

That's why I am still exploring beyond Plan A, B, and C... as in Plan B-1, B-2, Plan C-1, C-2...lol.

It is too easy for me to stay stuck on ideas of what "should" happen, instead of what "could" happen. No, I don't worry myself to death over it, but it won't hurt to explore all of my options while the "sun is shining..."

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  15. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    This is more of what I had in mind. Light weight, compact for storage. A little bit of modification and it might do a really good job.

cdc6892e1d2587e1f8ba9a299e4e6ece.jpeg

GrizzlyetteAdams likes this.
  16. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

I can relate to all of this 100% because this was my mindset for many years. I felt so secure on my BOL and all of the work put on it to ensure long-term survival that I could not imagine what on earth could force me to leave it.

Then I got to thinking in "advanced preps" mode...the places where most fear to tread, the nope, NOT-going-there-doing-that places, and the things that don't fit into my current well-thought-out plans...

Some of my advanced preps include plans for things such as widespread crown fires that will likely be more numerous after the SHTF has been going on for a while (not enough local infrastructure in place to put them out), or a huge tornado of the kind that rips out basements...and just like that, most of my stuff on the property is GONE...

And during the aftermath of dealing with disasters during a pre-existing SHTF situation, when we are most vulnerable, we face the very real possibility of becoming easier targets and being outnumbered and overwhelmed by forces greater than ourselves...and they may decide to STAY. (Those with ponds, or other sources of fresh water may find their land to be a special targets)

For these and other reasons, I may be forced to flee. It is not my only backup plan, but the time and energy spent developing and testing a DPN (Disaster Preparedness Network) has already proved its worth a few times...and cost us nothing. We learn who our true friends and family are not only during good times, but when we are all undergoing severe trial, and these time-tested ones are marked in my mind as key members of my DPN.

Depending on how widespread and severe the SHTF situation is, learning how to be a successful traveler will figure heavily into the DPN...IF I ever need to resort to that. Hopefully I won't need it!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Traveling is not my plan. It is a hand to mouth survival at best and I don't want to be the person on the outside wanting in. Live or die I will do it here. I chose this place with survival in mind over 20 years ago and while it has changed a little it still has the things that I think will give the best opportunity to not just survive but to live. We have a mild climate, water every where, lots of wildlife and even more livestock. The woods will provide fuel for many decades and the people that chose to live in the woods near a tiny town are not the kind that are dependent on others taking care of them.

Over the years I have incorporated my plans into this location. I guess that to some extent I bugged out over 30 years ago. I left the place the I called home for over 30 years and all of the people that I had known for my entire life because I didn't see that place as someplace that was going to offer much in the years to come and would be a death trap in the event of any sort of social collapse. I was right it has gone massively down hill and is a very clear example of the worst in big city living gone to hell. like some of the cities in the north say around Detroit and Flint changing times have not been kind to the place that I used to call home.

Many times people are trapped in their situation. I REALLY understand that. You have roots and a hug investment in where you are at and know a lot of people there. It is hard to pull up and just walk away from everything and just start all over from scratch. I was sort of blessed by being in a position where I was going to lose everything anyway so I decided to just dump it all and leave. I sort of had to go into business for myself because the only industry where I chose to go wouldn't hire me. Every place that I had ever worked at was gone. When the oil industry tanked in the early 80s there was just nothing left there for me. I had no past work history that anyone could verify.

In my case it was truly a case of life dumped a case of lemons on my head and I made lemon aid out of it as soon as I picked myself up. I will say that losing everything was rather liberating. I was starting from scratch and this time I had a plan and stuck with it. I always had a plan. Many of the suggestions that I have made here were plans that I had in the past.

The thing people don't realize is that most of the things that we as preppers/survivalists feel we will need don't truly cost all that much or even truly require a ton of effort. You don't need a $150.00 knife. If I ever need and assault weapon after the fall I bet my $150.00 Nagant will get me one from a fool real easily. Even a single shot H&R used once as a sniper weapon will let me upgrade my weaponry if it has to.

It is better to know where to find food and harvest it yourself than have cases of cans. I could always take my knowledge on the road with me and feed myself almost anywhere in East Texas. My basic plan is to make myself extremely valuable to my friends and neighbors. The people that I will have with me are mostly tough as nails male and female alike with lots of skills that will just b more valuable in a TEOTWAWKI world.

Even with all that said, if I HAD and was forced to run I know that we can do it because we have already done it once. My basic backup plan though is to turn my little area into an organized almost militaristic hell hole for anyone to crack. We have two special forces trained people and I have a lot of experience with improvised weapons that would make our killing fields a slaughter house. With a little effort we will be someplace that bad people will avoid.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if we have to leave this location, don't expect to, I have 6 other places we can relocate to, all previously scouted by us.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Simple, I am coming to your house LOL

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:

That, which you are describing is a pet carrier for biking. I bought one at a yard sale one time for $5.00. My son rode my grandson around in it. It finally got destroyed/fell apart. I would love to find another, and to get a scotter , EMP proof it and put a part to pull one of these again. That would work for me with my limits for pedaling.

TMT Tactical likes this.