If your house was being robbed at night what would you do?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by rootle, Jul 2, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. rootle

rootle New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    This is assuming you have no weapons at home. I'm asking because this happened to me recently.

2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Get a dog !!!! No gun sucks ! Get a gun dog lets you know they there before they in gun stops them if stupid enough to come in

3. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with @Tom Williams get a dog that can protect you. Make sure that the dog you get is easy to train, a German shepherd is good. If you can't get a gun keep 911 on speed dial. Buy a crossbow or something and stay ready for something like this to happen.

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    That also happened to me. I snuk towards the nearest phone and called the police. The thief was above, just in the house's rooftop. I heard the red tiles crackling sound and fast realized someone up to no good was moving around up there. When security arrived, the guy got down and run away as fast as he could to eventually be catched by police. My suggestion is to avoid confrontation and call for help, even if you have the chance of sneak behind the trespasser and neutralize him (And if you do, who do you think you are? A Night ops veteran?).

5. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    A large dog will do a good job at protecting your home but if the thief/criminals are bound and determined to rob you (or worse), it would behoove you to have a gun on hand in order to provide safety and security for your family. A skilled criminal can neutralize a dog easily enough so it may be up to you to be the last line of defense.

6. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If I were caught and did not have a firearm to provide protection for me, then I would look for an object that could wield significant damage such as a golf club, a baseball bat, a crowbar or an axe. You would want to be out of the line of fire so that if the thief broke in through the window or the door, then you would have an opportunity to land the first blow to protect yourself and your family.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    All our guard dogs were shot, so we don't have any dogs now. Depends on the situation. If I can I move everyone into the "safe room". We can call the police from there, but they are too far away to be of any assistance. Our guns are secured in the "safe room", so I have access once inside. If we are attacked beforehand, I think I can handle it providing they do not have guns.
    Keith.

8. Wes Morgan

Wes Morgan Expert Member
      126/173

Blog Posts:
    I would try my best not to be in that situation, I always carry day or night and my Shepherd would lay down his life for me I believe. Oh and the Pom, can be irritating as hell (shampoos, hair cuts etc) but that lil dog can hear things well in advance. I have a sign next to my door that says BEWARE OF DOG, HE EATS EVERYONE THE OWNER SHOOTS. All in fun kind of.

9. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Wow, crossbow, never heard that type of recommendation lol. It would be so funny to hear that type of story in the news. "Man kills intruder with crossbow", that would be the title. At least they would be able to protect themselves with it though.

I would recommend getting some ninja stars because they are easy to throw and can easily take someone out without making noise.

10. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    A game of thrones fan who was very much into medieval weapons actually did buy a spear and when a burglar broke into his home he stabbed him with that spear!

Being prepared for the worst IMHO is what will help you survive should armed intruders break into your house at night or even during the day. You know your house better than them and should have weapons hidden in several rooms so in case of anything you'll have something you'll use to defend yourself with.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well what ever happens you need to call the police ASAP. If you prefer running away then do that first and call the cops when you are safe. Myself, I'd go and confront them.. but I wouldn't recommend that option to everyone. It all depends on what you can do.

Also keep in mind that thieves, in general, break into your house in order to get something they want... usually items they can sell for money. They really have no motive to break in just to hurt you, unless they are lunatics or you have really pissed someone off. So they want money. How many houses are there in your general area? Tens, hundreds, thousands? Let's be honest here, if you have a thousand different houses you can try to rob and you break into one where the guy wakes up and confronts you... what would be the logical choice for the thief? Really they have two options. a) leave and try to rob another house the next day. b) try to fight you in hopes that they win and they don't get injured themselves.. coupled with the fact that they would need to get that done and also take what they came to get and to get out before the police come.. all this knowing that the police have already been called. They would also be risking a much much bigger sentence if they were to be caught attacking you than they would from simply trying to steal something. Now I'm no criminal but I'd go for option A every single time.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have lived here for 7 years and there has only ever been one house robbery, and that was a heroin addict who lived next door to the house he robbed. he's now "inside" doing 5 years.

13. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We feel safer now because of the cellphone. When there is a suspected intruder in the property, we could call the village guard and also the town police. Unlike before when the phone was a landline. According to some movies, thieves would cut the cable of the phone before breaking in so that the home owner couldn't call for help. But now maybe the burglars have a lot of caution with that important call to the cops because of the cell phone. By the way, we also have a night stick in the bedroom that we could use for self defense in case of a break in.

14. katjamas

katjamas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Well I would be very scared, as I know myself, and pick up the phone and call the police. Try to get out of the house, if the people were armed so that I would not get hurt.

15. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    waste of time calling the police here, especially at night and at weekend, as all the rural police stations are part time and not manned 24/7, nearest fully manned full time station is 30 miles away.

16. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    You can become innovative in deterring robbers from your house by having some bottles of soda within reach. If you bang these against the wall with force, there is such a loud explosion that robbers would think twice. Another effective deterrent is to have a powersaw in the house and then start it when robbers strike. Offering to assist them to break in would also catch them offguard.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Well, because I live in Romania I'm not allowed to have a gun and if I were to use one anyway to protect myself I would be thrown in jail, so that sucks. I have a Saint Bernard dog that protects the house and makes sure no intruder comes in, but in case the thief manages to bypass him I do have baseball bats and police officer batoons (not really sure how they're called) that can really hurt.

18. Danny Luke

Danny Luke New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't do a thing especially if the robber is armed. Just let him get what he wants. At the end of the day, my life or the lives of my family is more important that anything else. Calling the police would also be a bad idea since the robber might hear you and he panics. We all know what often happens when armed criminals panic. They can do things that may cause you or any of your family to lose his life.

19. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    This is what I tell myself every time I hear about some victim that looses out on whatever they lost in the process of a break in. You know your house better, and if you did not grow up teaching yourself how to defend yourself or your family in those types of situations then technically it's not your fault for whatever happens, but you could have played a big role in preventing it.

Many people everywhere just choose to be cowards. If you break in to my home, you better be prepared to look death in the eye.

John Snort likes this.
  20. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I would try to be as quiet as possible and call the police. In the event that I own a licensed firearm which I do plan to in the future, I would try my absolute best to protect my property, even if it means being forceful.

21. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I don't have a gun but i have a few well sharpened machetes. I know my house more that the intruder does so I set some obstacles in the way that could make an alarm to alert where the thief is and I would really some multiple swinging actions in that direction with my machete.

22. emmaruthnagano

emmaruthnagano New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Better to hide somewhere quietly and try to grab your phone but put it on silent. Call the police or 911 in a place you can't be heard. Then, the most important here is your safety. You can buy all those things they stole but not your life. Stay hidden and safe.

23. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would try to protect my family and get us away from the house asap.
    Maybe run to my neighbors and let them know to call the police.
    Here the police is there fairly quickly. However, using a gun would only be a good idea if the robbers are getting physical and are threatening to kill us.
    My friend and her family owned their own tile company. They always had a dog and were never robbed maybe because of having a dog.

24. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I would say move if possiable, if not find a work from home job, that way you can be home to monitor what goes on around your home, most people won't rob your home if they know your inside.

25. hpro hamed

hpro hamed New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    if we don't have a any weapon in the house we should look for heavy things in our staff like a stick from bed or a kitchen knife our any thing else we should approach to the thief slowly and knock him off with that then tie him with something and then call the police and stay above his head until the police arrive
    I hope that never happened to any body but we should prepare ourselves for every situation...

26. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess this must depend on where you are living then, because here in Australia we hear of home invasions all the time. Night & day with the people at home. The law here forbids us to purchase a firearms, tasers, or pepper spray for self defence. Only the criminals can use weapons, so invading someones home is not a problem for them.
    Keith.

27. awc90

awc90 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I have a pit bull that usually scares off anyone even just passing by. My husband also leaves me with his heavy duty flashlight that would be very similar to a night stick. I believe everyone, including women and children, should learn martial arts and self defense tactics in the case of an emergency whether at home or away from home.

Keith H. likes this.
  28. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    All good, but do not rely on the dog alone. We had three guard dogs & all three were shot. Martial arts are good also, but I would sooner rely on a safe room or a gun or both.
    Keith.

29. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The police take too long to get there to help you. The intruders have shot your dogs. Now it's up to you.
    Keith.

30. izacuson

izacuson New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    If my house was being robbed, i would lock my door, call the police, and then get a gun to defend myself. that is why it is a good thing i have an alarm system in my house.