If your lucky enough to have land...

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by cluckeyo, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    ...would you consider keeping a milk cow? I am so tempted to do this! They say it is a lot of work, but my idea would be to just get a milk cow and keep her for a like a pet. Let her graze and feed her, keep her healthy. The milk can dry up for now. If there is a situation where we can't go to the store or whatever, then breed her and and keep calves on her so that she will produce but you also won't have milk running out your ears!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Keith H. likes this.
  2. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    I would probably do this. It might sound like a lot of work but it would be worth it! My uncle has chickens in his ranch and would trade eggs for milk with his neighbors. I have yet to try anything as fresh as what we would eat with him.

3. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I think that this is a good idea. I would do it if I had the space to do so. I have thought about getting a couple of goats and chickens. Chickens would be easy enough for me since I can just keep the coop in my yard. I would love to have enough space at some point to where I can just live off of the land. One can dream for now, right?

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I do own land, & no I would not bother keeping a cow unless it was at a very good price, even then I would be more likely to use it for meat rather than milking. I have kept goats for milking & meat & would consider doing it again. Goats are easier to find feed for.
    Depending on the type of land you own, you need to consider: 1) The destruction of natural habitat that at present may attract local wildlife. 2) The fowling of natural water sources or dams.
    We live in a forest, but we have a separate paddock/field fenced off from the forest. I think a better option all round would be to keep sheep for meat & milk if you have somewhere to keep them separate from the rest of your land. Buying feed will NOT be an option in a survival situation.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

Endure likes this.
  5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Cows require huge resource consumption. Also, cows only produce milk after they have given birth, and dairy cows must give birth to one calf per year in order to continue producing milk. Typically they are artificially inseminated within three months of giving birth. Is something quite complicated to keep on for several years. Is a serious agricultural and livestock commitment, and I would better leave this trade to full time farmers .

PracticalToby likes this.
  6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I was born and raised in a city apartment so I have no experience. However, based on the stories of my husband, it is easier to have a goat than a cow when milk is the purpose. The goat is smaller hence easier to manage and also easier to milk. Although the cow can give you up to 2 liters of milk every morning, a goat can manage only 2 glasses or a little less than 1 liter. So if you have 2 milking goats then that would be equivalent to one cow. Another advantage of the goat is you can keep it in a floored corral unlike cows where they stay in a roofed corral. So when the rain is continuous, the goats can be comfortable in a wooden house of sorts.

Since both cows and goats are grazers, it would surprise you that goats are choosy. Their favorite is mulberry and the thick and tall grasses. Some goats also feed on corn although I'm not betting on it. The best is to let them graze in the open field.

PracticalToby likes this.
  7. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm with Keith. H. and Corzhens on this. Go for goats. They're much easier to manage, far less prone to mastitis and won;t hurt you if they kick you or sit on you! You can tether them, but use a ring on the stick or they'll wind themselves round and round and then yell to be let loose. They won't eat your washing, they'll chew on it see if they like it and make a horrible mess of it and they can whip the heads off a row of growing cabbages faster than you can run (trust me, I've been there, and they weren't my cabbages!) but they're good and useful creatures with character. Tasty if eaten young enough too.