In A Shtf Scenario, Are You More Concerned About Defense, Or Hunting?

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Turbodc2, Nov 2, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    personally I don't plan to loot or steal from anyone whether its a business or individual . My prepping is complete . I do think of another helpful item occasionally .

2. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm not worried about either, if I have my little CZ .22 LR I'll be able to supplement what I trap but I doubt I'll actually be needing it for hunting or defence. I can trap small game, fish or fowl far more effectively then I can hunt them (assuming that the entire countryside isn't over-run with idiots.)
    If this situation is WROL then I'm able to use much more effective methods that are currently illegal because they're deemed to be inhumane or poaching.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  3. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    no doubt I live in a different environment than most . The people around here are very honest "at least most". where I get fire wood its open to the public in a semi secluded area , you just put your money in a plastic bucket , often have to weight it down with a rock to keep the money from blowing out "he really needs a bigger bucket" load up the appropriate amount of fire wood and leave. I don't even know the guy that owns the business . I have made business deals around here involving thousands of dollars , no paper work needed , just their word .

watcherchris and Ystranc like this.
  4. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    my weapons are primarily for supplementing our food supply . If a neighbor came up asking for help ,I would be more inclined to help him than shoot him . But a looter I would have no problem shooting . I used to be one cold S.B. in Nam . I remember siting and eating lunch while I watched people being shot , considered it fine entertainment .

Ystranc likes this.
  5. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    eating lunch while I watched people being shot , considered it fine entertainment .

It is so long as it is not you being shot at:)

6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

Yeah...poltiregist,

I know of a couple of people who do business in such an manner.

A couple of counties over..when I go there ...there exists a fruit and vegetable truck in the downtown place in the county main street. It is the honor system. He has a small scale hanging in the back of his truck...and a metal box wherein you put your monies. I have no problems with this system. If people cheat them...he goes out of business and people have to go elsewhere to get their vegetables.

Also in these less populated counties out in the country ..many people are related..and they know all the ways into and out of these counties. Not smart to cheat or upset these people.

I've seen other people working out of trucks like that...usually manned...fruits, vegetables, and even sometimes eggs. No problem by me.

The place where I park and pay ....I know the fellow running it . If he is not there ..I leave a note in the dashboard of my vehicle...as to what I owe him. Sometimes I owe him for a week...at $7.00 per day. No problem..I pay him when I see him or go by his other place of business and pay him.
    I owe him $7.00 right now and hope to see him this afternoon when I go in.

Sometimes I take my scooter instead of my car. I stop by and pay him if I see and owe him.

I don't try to cheat these people. Bad business if you do.

I like to do business like this ...just you and with whom you area doing business...no middle man collecting monies for doing nothing and keeping records of transactions. And also your business remains private business.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

7. Photon Guy

Photon Guy Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    I would say it would depend on the situation, it would depend on exactly what kind of SHTF event we're talking about. The most recent SHTF event I had to deal with, years back, was Hurricane Sandy when it hit the northeast USA. We were without electricity for at least a week and all the stores were closed and lines for gas were miles long at what few gas stations were open. In that situation I was more concerned with defense. We had food and I wasn't going to go hunting in my area during the aftermath of Sandy. On the other hand if I was stuck out in the wilderness, for instance, I would be more concerned with hunting.

8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My primary concern would be self defense. We have enough supplies that hunting really wouldn't be required for some time. Making sure we could defend what we have would be more of a concern. We aren't in a city, but close enough to a city, and close enough to a major highway in and out of the city, for marauding hordes to at least come into the equation.

Oh and by the way, we are not that far from a State Prison. I guess it is a 50-50 chance whether they will come toward you or go away from you, but it is something to think about. Does anybody else live in proximity to a prison? If you do it should factor into your preps.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    We store and stock food, so my primary use would be defense. Hunting would not be a factor for many months or even a year, if we are careful. Now my neighbors would be a different situation and no I would not offer to feed anybody. Feed one, feed them all.

Morgan101 likes this.
  10. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I certainly agree with you, TMT. I don't know that my wife could, and I am not even sure if I could turn away children. Hope I never have to make that decision. Standard line will be we have nothing to share, and we are in the same situation as you. Move on. Don't let anybody know what you have.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    While I would hate to turn away a child, no child should be out in a SHTF event, so they are probably being used to find food sources or worse, whom to attack and take their supplies. Tough call but I have already made up my mind based on the possible scenario outcomes. Giving a child a day or even several days worth of food is not going to save the child but most likely put you and your family in jeopardy. Not worth the risk in MHO.

Morgan101 likes this.
  12. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have said this before, this sort of situation is one that I would have to play by ear. I would more than likely take in a child rather than give them food & send them away. However, we are out in the sticks, so we are not likely to have many callers. Raiders? Absolutely, we have had experience of this already so no surprises there.
    Keith.

13. Photon Guy

Photon Guy Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Feeding your neighbors might not be a bad idea if they give something in return.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    As hard as it might be I'm sure you are right.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    All the children within a one a half mile radius of our retreat are part of the survival group already , few other children within a 3 mile radius with the exception of another survival group that has property access to the land joining our property . The two survival groups could potentially join forces creating a very large survival group .For now though their's and our group have such independent and solid survival plans we see no advantage to combining the groups . A neighbor on down our dead end road is interested in prepping , I gave him some rooted muscadine vines for him to create a vineyard on his property a few weeks ago . The way I see it the more prepared my neighbors are the better off my group will be .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty fortunate in that most of the people around me have chickens and goats. Within a mile there are probably several hundred cattle and just a little farther down the road is an exotic animal ranch that has all sorts of antelope and deer from all over the world. I'm more likely to trade for meat than hunting it. The thing about a big animal is that most people, even country people, don't know butchering. I can butcher anything and have the tools to do it. Without refrigeration it is better to share a animal out to others and collect from them when their harvests come in. Country folks have been doing this for centuries.

17. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    As I see it, the concept of sharing with your neighbors falls back on the mentality of your neighbors. Will they feel grateful and be beneficial or resent the fact you have and they don't. Then comes the issue of why do you get to decide whom gets what and how much. Then comes the committee that wants to collect all the supplies for the good of the community. If my neighbors have not prepped, then that is my indicator they are not worth the risk. During a true SHTF event, every decision you make, could and will have serious outcomes. Maybe good or maybe deadly. Why chance an unknown, when you don't have to? It has been my experience the have not's are not grateful for gifts they received but will demand even more be given, as their Human Right. I think I will pass on that risk factor.

Morgan101 and poltiregist like this.
  18. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm not really into guns that much (although I have a few); I doubt if crazed big-city dwellers would be a problem. The three closest big cities (over a quarter million) would be Spokane, Salt Lake City, and Boise; the closest is 120 miles away. Idaho is a very rural state, most of the locals have both guns (hunting and fishing is big here), food (many farms); and food storage (Idaho has a very high LDS population, and most of them already have a year's supply of food).

Hunting, too, would probably not be an effective approach for me. Having goats and chickens for meat, eggs, and milk and a pretty good-sized garden, I think I'd be better off keeping my animals and an eye of my mini-farm. If you want to go off hunting elk or moose in the South Hills, go ahead. You come to my property, and I'll have a quarter of your game, and you will have milk, eggs, veggies, and fruit to carry home.

And if you ever come by my homestead with ten pounds of coffee, you can leave with three chickens, a good milking goat, and my first-born son .

19. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    We have made incredible advances in building a real homestead (garden, animals, etc) after ony six months, and it's all been because of the neighbors within a mile or so of us who have taken in a couple of retired city slickers who want to learn and are willing to work.

If it hadn't been for our neighbors, we'd still be running round with our thumbs up our butt. I'd certainly share with people in need as long as they were making an honest effort to pull through, because that's exactly what our neighbors have done for us.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Duncan, you have done well in a very short period of time and your neighbors have proven themselves. You live in a community environment, which is a super situation.

21. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    city dwellers aren't going to be a problem here in the rural middle of the county. in a SHTF situation the doors remained locked and wont be opened to anybody.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Defense of animal assault.........as hunting is generally done by simply opening the window and harvest. So food procurement would never be a problem, especially for meat or fish.

Defense should not be necessary, other then my typical defense from bears and moose attacks. There is the slightest remote chance of some human problem. Highly unlikely, but still remotely a possibility.

TMT Tactical likes this.