Individual Survival Placebo

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Sourdough, Jun 18, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have made a new phrase "Individual Survival Placebo"

Maybe it will catch on and become "ISP"

It can be used Kiddingly as, "Dude I hope your ISP works, but I have reservations".

Or in your face, "Dude you and your ISP are toast.

I wonder if I should copyright it.....???

2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump.......to get the thread started.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Define ISP.... in depth, with details please.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I like Lonewolf's post #75 on that thread:

He said, "It depends how much shiny new stuff you want, I have always thought that that side of prepping is about keeping the consumer society going.
    things and stuff wear out, get broken, even stolen, to me prepping is about learning skills and gaining knowledge to aid our survival post collapse."

I agree 100% with what he said.

"Stuff" is nice, and "stuff" sure makes things easier but when they are used up, worn out, or stolen it can also cripple us because when that happens, we are facing another whole new crisis on top of the initial SHTF events.

To me, survival means having a skill set so solid that if I lost everything but my mind, I have a better chance of surviving than if I relied on a stockpile.

Anything can happen to a stockpile...and in a world where Murphy's Law rules, it probably will happen. (Even if NOTHING actually happens to it, it will eventually be depleted through use.) What then? Thinking outside the box ahead of time will help me to not be boxed in by my own limitations or "stuff."

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  6. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Did you read on towards the end of that thread,

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Not all of it yet, but I will. I read some of it, and see that you are (almost) making heads explode. I wish they understood just what you are talking about, but I can see why they can't: you are driving them crazy because they think you are picking on them... speaking of picking...

I picked up some fine alligator sausage during a recent run to my old stomping grounds...and right now my gumbo pot is calling my name!

(Edited to add: Forgive me, y'all... but I will cross-post my thoughts on this over there in efforts to shed more light on the situation...maybe it will help.)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I am tired of being told......."Dude, "man" like everyone is different, and like dude, everyone's situation is different, dude, we are all different we all have INDIVIDUAL needs...man, and dude are needs are changing, we are like individuals.

I got it. So you can each have your "Individual Survival Placebo" .

A short list of only a few ISP
    An AR-15 and two days food
    An AR-15 with a few rounds on hand and 72 hours of food
    An AR-15 shot up all ammo last week, and have 1/2 a pizza.
    An AR-15 no ammo, the bitch jams a lot, half a pizza and 4 beers.
    My buddy borrowed my AR-15 so I have none, but I have 2,000 rounds of green tip.
    I have everything and we are taking the Buick across 7 states up 97 mi. of logging roads.
    An AR-15 and figure to take what I want, figure to survive hundreds of gun fights.
    Have a nice garden and 6 months food, and one hour from 8 million starving people.
    Going to a friends house he is one of those prepper nut'jobs.

Yep everyone's situation is different, they all have individual placebo's for survival.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    My point is what people call prepping...........is a self administered placebo.

It feels good, I sounds good, we know it won't work, but we can die knowing we had higher priorities, and we kind'a somewhat prepped.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Although I don't think the above list applies to that particular forum at all (because they are more intelligent than that), I have read of people who probably have that mindset.

Some of these "survivalists" could become our worst enemies because they will likely take by force from others who are better prepared, and will do so more skillfully than the average punk or gangbanger...

OK, time for me to get back to tending my gumbo...

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I know a lot of people with ISPs. They go out and buy an assault looking rifle and a couple of boxes cartridges a few MREs and they are sure that they are prepared for the apocalypse. They often work on the theory that they will be so bad that if they need anything else they will just take it. God bless these poor fools. I've watched them shooting and they evidently got all their training from watching Rambo movies. These people won't last a week. If you act like a scary asshat after things collapse someone will shoot you dead with a real gun that they will AIM. People with ISPs are just WDPs. That's walking DEAD people.

Unless you are going to take the time and make the effort to actually get trained or learn somehow to shoot and act in a tactical fashion I think that you would be best off with a single shot shotgun or maybe a good 22 rifle. If you think that an assault rifle automatically makes you 7 feet tall and armor-plated you gonna DIE. Better to know that you are under armed and to try hard to go unnoticed. If they don't see you they won't shoot you!

12. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    are a dozen or so caches hid out in the wilderness a 'individual survival placebo' ?

Caribou likes this.
  13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    People just piss me off with this everyone situation is different, everyone has different needs.

There are standards.......you have a boat that can legally haul 9 people. You need 9 immersion suits to be prepared. Less and you ain't prepared.

If I am commercial Pilot of a four passenger Cessna, they need seat belts, I need sleeping bags for 5 if we crash, I need an ELT, preferably 2 ELT's, if it is float equipped I need 5 PFD's

See there is rational and realistic being prepared. I think it a cop'out and B.S. this "Well Dude everyone's different, they have individual needs.

Here is a clue.......people are either prepared or they ain't prepared. No such thing as kind'a pregnant.

See I am O.K. if people say, "They think prepping is stupid, and they need a new smart phone". They made a choice. But doing a little and "HOPING it is ENOUGH" to me that is just a feel good placebo.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Am I prepared, nope. Am I trying to improve my prep situation, yes. I finally got what IBME was trying to say in his post on HCL and on here. There is a minimal level and if you have not reached that level of preparation, then you are NOT prepared. Once the basic minimum is reached, then each persons particular plan can come into play. OR at least I hope that is what IBME was trying to convey. I do tend to get lost from time to time. Old guy thing I think.

Now on a side note regarding the shooting and aiming. I just completed my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle project and it shoots under 1 MOA at 100 yards, with factory PPU cheap ammo. Trigger pull is a scary 1.5 pounds, bedded stock and good scope. So the spray and pray crowd is not going to even get close enough to be a problem. If they do, I will break out my AR15 1.5 MOA rifles. I do like accuracy. Too cheap to waste ammo.

Morgan101, elkhound and Caribou like this.
  15. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Do you think everyone is the same, all living in the same situations?
    If the answer is no, then you're saying you get pissed off because people tell you the truth.

16. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    NO........I do NOT think that. Hell my personal situation is constantly changing. It has been changing for near 73 years. But the change is accelerating now, and I have to make rapid adjustments in my Prepping for Survival.

But the point is I have been for decades prepared for (3) Three plus years of food and water and shelter and protection. I am in an (8) Eight Million Acre National Forest.
    With dozens of pre-stocked survival camps.

That is not a kidding myself Placebo. That is not a half built bug'out bag half full of never opened, no idea how they works thingies.

Morgan101 likes this.
  17. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    "A placebo is a simulated or otherwise medically ineffectual treatment for a disease or other medical condition intended to deceive the recipient"....Wikipedia

No, it is not a deception, it is a well planned survival strategy. It is not a 1/2 eaten pizza and 3 beers an AR-15 with no training or practice.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    it could be said all prepping is a placebo until its tested and used and understood.

pla·ce·bo
    [pləˈsēbō]
    NOUN
    1. a harmless pill, medicine, or procedure prescribed more for the psychological benefit to the patient than for any physiological effect.
      "his Aunt Beatrice had been kept alive on sympathy and placebos for thirty years" ·
      medication · medicament · remedy · cure · nostrum · patent medicine · quack remedy · panacea · cure-all · placebo · drug · prescription · dose · treatment · physic · medicinal
      • a substance that has no therapeutic effect, used as a control in testing new drugs.
      • a measure designed merely to calm or please someone.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, but that doesn't seem like much of a "point" to me.

20. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:

like you said it was a good strategy until now...since aging is catching up with you...it will all of us if we all live and age out to the usual measured years of maximum life humans live.

i know you dont like to hear this but all situations are different and they change with time.

i.e. a fishing vessel used in southeast alaska is useless in desert southwest...there you need a $50,000 drilled deep well....lol...same goes back no need of that well in southest alaska when you get 200 inches of rain a year.

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A Placebo comes with no promises, "Here, take this & see if it works for you". The equipment & tools I use work for me, it doesn't matter if anyone else thinks it is just a sugar pill, the main thing is that it keeps me alive. I have never to my recollection advised anyone else to take my sugar pill. I have explained all the benefits from taking this pill, but it is up to the individual to decide whether or not it might work for them.
    I have taken this pill & have been taking it for over 40 years, 8 years off grid in the Territory, raiders, fire fights, hunting. 20 years in New England living an 18th century lifestyle off grid, another 10 years or so same place, still off grid but with solar power & still using the same gear. I am not saying that using other modern gear would not have worked for me, what I am saying is that what I do use is sustainable, & that this pill works just fine for me & I see no point in continuing an experiment trying different medication when I don't need to.
    Keith.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  22. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Most "Adults" know the difference between masturbating and sexual intercourse. If the goal is "Survival of the human species", while they both feel good, only one will get the mission accomplished. That is an analogy for the distinction between PREPPING for SURVIVAL verses Individual Survival Masturbation (ISP)

23. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Allow me to add that governments and government agencies around the world recommend something to the effect of, "You should have on hand food and drinks for three days. Your electricity could, in times of an emergency or inclement weather, be off for up to a week's time."

I mean, we've all read this crap, right?! Our tax dollars helped pay for this death sentence. Irksome, yes ... and a bit beyond that. Dear lord, there are beaucoup Milquetoast sheeple who accidentally have a week's worth of get-by food.

I was just watching a documentary on a bad earthquake that happened in Chile decades back. The government couldn't get to the people. The president of that nation wasn't able to get his dang army to get him in there just to attempt to scope-out the devastation! International agencies & military supply troop/navy were forever getting into where their help was needed.

There is the "having it" and then there's the "getting it there". Agencies such as FEMA will likely simply herd people out of cities into camps and hope to high heaven that their supplies will hold long enough until FEMA itself can loot the countryside to feed these sheeple. I hope crops are burned before these hogs are slopped.

What should hiding one's supplies from Big Brother be called? "Bugging sideways"?!

444ac66956d8a0cfe98791b6dbf9acba.jpeg

Just don't become the victim of government attacks on freedom. It isn't pretty!!! They'll tear you a new @$$hole!

444ac66956d8a0cfe98791b6dbf9acba.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. elkhound

307/345

Blog Posts:
    food,water,shelter and security....this is bases of survival..be it pre or post shtf....these will be shuffled according to needs at moment.

its not rocket science....its been going on since before rockets...lol

these 4 bases can be achieved by a huge amount of ways and variations and climates....and a wide range of skills and tools from lowest,simplest to much more advanced ones.

Morgan101, Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  25. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning IBME,

Is there really much of a difference between ISP for the pro forma survivalist and the average non-preper citizen/resident who can rely on subsidies - both in-kind like blankets, a cot in a climate-controlled shelter, cash and rescue workers in case the subsidized are too drunk to heed the warnings such as trees arriving at house walls at 100 mph ?

If / when the public assistance ends, Charles Beard's term "rugged individualism" will return. Beard's term wasn't 100% accurate but it did emphasize personal responsibility.

Why have 9 (nine) immersion suits for 9 ? Why buy flood insurance ? Until only about 2 years ago, FEMA paid out the same amount to the privately-insured as the uninsured.

I've already confirmed my hunch that the nation has changed.

FEMA's flood insurance program is slowly being closed down and the howls can be heard up at Barrow.

TMT Tactical likes this.