Institute's "disaster City"

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jun 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.governing.com/topics/public-justice-safety/sl-disaster-city-training.html

Above tells of disaster training.

For students of disaster preparedness - this means us ! - note the mentioned "nylon rope". Rope is now more than a "cottage industry" of a few types and brands on a few spools in a big box store. Some types of rope stretch. Some types float. Some are manufactured to be max abrasion-resistant.

I like graphite-lubricated wire rope.

In practical terms, I carry basic lashing rope in the truck. On my person, when traveling infantry-style, I rely on 550 para and 107 test fabric braided fishing line.

Article says that "responder training is a 'competitive industry'". I know of a private sector disaster prep company that has many of their classes and exercises in Central Park, Manhattan, NYC. The course is in urban survival and this disaster prep company has a substantial and continuing student enrollment.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't like plastic rope, it stretches. I use cotton (sisal) rope of a kind we used to call "sash cord".
    wife uses para cord in the garden to tie up her shrubs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I miss the old hemp rope.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    As more and more state legalize MaryJane, hemp rope is likely to make a come back.

Morgan101 and Sonofliberty like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I actually use several kinds of rope for different things. Each has its goods and bads. I use 3 or 4 grades of paracord. from 95 through 850 paracords. I like sash cords for a lot of things and nylon for anchor and heavy lifting rope. There is a difference between the twist type and the braid type. A plastic rope is cheap and good for some things where strength isn't big important. I also have some high tech ropes for climbing.

I cut old T-shirts into long ropes and that is what I use to tie my tomatoes and cucumber vines onto their trellises. It is soft and free and stretches as the vines grow.

watcherchris, TMT Tactical and coffee like this.
  6. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Just 550 paracord, guess I should add a stronger and different type ?

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Coffee,

It's all trade-off philosophy.

Always return to Roman Numeral I on the prepared emergency plan(s).

If, for example, primary concern is placing a tarp on damaged house roof, whether personally-purchased tarp, FEMA tarp, USACE "Blue Roof" ... This dictates what type of cord is best for situation.

If Roman Numeral I is GOOD ... Evacuate area ASAP if not faster, light utility cord that's easy to work with and carry frequently meets requirements. Part of my philosophy is to consider practicality of the rope/para when wearing gloves.

Load-bearing ropes hinders mobility. Again, it's all trade-offs.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    50dfb61bfbc881a34a3c7ddf7aed57c2.jpeg
    Hemp Rope. One of my sons bought it for my birthday a couple of years ago.
    Keith.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  9. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure some of you know this about nylon or plastic type rope....

But this type of rope is affected by ultra violet radiation....sunlight. It shortens the life of such rope....weakens it over time.

Just thought I would bring this up.

I like certain nylon rope and also Para cord but am aware of its vulnerabilities.

Good to know how to do certain knots to go along with your rope handling business.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Para cord is ok if you know how to use it. For more strength up to a point you can use several strands of it. Also ...around sharp edges....be sure to pad these to prevent cutting through the cord...particularly on heavy items.

I have a roll if it in the back of one of my vehicles.....in OD green.

Mostly, however , I keep around several 50 foot packages of 1/8 nylon cord packages from Lowes...or Home depot...white ....and often double strand it when I need more strength. Duct tape too.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.