Interesting Reading

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by TexDanm, Dec 15, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      425/460

Blog Posts:
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      425/460

Blog Posts:
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    People just don't under stand how fragile our power grid is and how little it would take to crash it. It may be an act of war, a solar flare or just simply a rolling black out that basically burns up hug parts of the grid. Most of this country would not survive a 2 month power out. No work, no money and quickly no water or fuel. I've seen the mess that a week without power can create even when it is on a very localized level. Understand, if you can't access your account and can't pay your bills the bank will happily foreclose on you as soon as the power comes back on.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    IF it comes back on, if it goes down for any length of time the chances are it wont come back on. a week or two are maybe doable but any more than that and the systems will all start shutting down one by one.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    It is a lot like having a heart attack. If they can get it going again quickly you will probably be OK but the longer it is stopped the less likely it is to ever let you live a normal life again. Just the economic destruction alone is unimaginable. With no power businesses can't stay open. Their employees are out of luck with no paychecks. Lots of small businesses especially restaurants can't afford the losses and never reopen. Sadly, nowadays, most stores can't even sell what they have if their computer cash-registers are down. Fuel in tanks at gas stations is useless without power to pump it.

A major EMP issue will take the phones and most communications down for the count. That means no cops and no firemen to come save you. You are suddenly cut off from knowledge of anything that isn't in your immediate area. Family and friends that don't live close are just gone! For most people this inability to even know what is happening or how long it might last. The longer this goes on the more people are going to start losing it. The "BEAST" is just below the surface on a lot of people and once released the riots, looting and fires are going to wipe the cities out.

People in more rural areas will do a little better if for no other reason than the fact that they are more scattered and more used to being somewhat out of the loop. We know that the cops aren't here to protect us and we are our own fire department. When there isn't a big grocery store just down the street you tend to keep more food in your home. This is true even if you are not of a prepper mind set.

If you live in a close urban environment you will need to have a much more complete plan on what you will need to do and be willing to move fast to beat the crowds out of town. I have seen evacuations and can assure you that if you don't get out early you probably won't gt out in a vehicle. This is assuming that most of the cars aren't dead from an EMP. That is still sort of dependent on the strength of the pulse. The power and communications grids are a lot more vulnerable than the smaller systems in a car.

There are a lot of things suddenly coming out as the government seems to be getting a little panicked. It is becoming pretty obvious that there are a lot of different ways to take out our systems. Natural EMPs, man-made EMPs and computer virus that targeted the controls making the systems burn themselves up, a the rather simple fact that it is too big, complicated and getting old and could just fail.

What to do? Lay in food, water, cash, trade goods and arm yourself...most of all have a plan and think about it so if something happens you can act fast.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    absolutely Tex, I agree with every word I've just read.

7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    We do our grocery shopping once a month, just to restock. We could go many months and not buy a single food item. We do live in an urban area and the wife does shop more often for comfort food items (her ice cream, my occasional donuts) but we would not have to if the SHTF. I am guessing most if not all my neighbors would run out of food within a week. I also guessing if the grid was down, they would be out of water / liquids within 3 days. You will know who they are, because they will be the ones pounding on YOUR door wanting you to share your supplies with them.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    They will be the ones that will "disappear" if they don't take a hint and try of get pushy. I will hand them a 5 gallon bucket and point the direction to the river. Most of them will think that I've lost my mind. It is almost a mile to the river. I will point out that the creek is slightly closer if you cut through the woods. If they act an ass I will warn them once.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  9. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    No river, no stream, just desert country. I will not open the door and if they attempt force, then I am willing to provide fresh meals to the desert critters, they got to eat too. During a SHTF event, I do not plan to take prisoners. The only time I am not carrying is when I am sleeping.