Interesting Study Results, For A Class Of Medications

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Sourdough, Sep 1, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      352/460

Blog Posts:
  2. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      352/460

Blog Posts:
    Especially for you OLD people.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      352/460

Blog Posts:
  4. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      352/460

Blog Posts:
    Interesting that people can be getting this/these products daily from several different sources, including sleep aids, cough syrup, medications. Kind'a all adds up quickly.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Medical studies often have core-critical defects. For example, may we not ask the question, "Are people who would require anticholinergic agents more prone to dementia, with or without having taken the medication in the first place?" This research is valuable only in so far as its control group is valid, very valid.

If true, the next step is to locate the morbidity mechanism itself. I will be much more interested in this topic when the chemical cause is revealed.

Aspirin causes bleeding and strokes.

Older gentleman comes into Emergency with chest pain, sweating, and sense of doom. ECG indicates cardiac ischemia (heart's not getting sufficient blood; S-T segment anomalies multiple leads). The physician orders nitroglycerin and patient is administered nitro under his tongue. Patient's blood pressure begins to drop precipitously. He finally tanks-out and dies. What happened?! The staff did not first ask the patient if he had been taking erectile-dysfunction medication. This med coupled with nitroglycerin can cause a catastrophic loss of blood pressure. Hypotension + cardiac ischemia (poor ejection fraction likely) = death.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Sourdough

Sourdough "ALASKAN"
      352/460

Blog Posts:
    My point is "NOT" the validity of the study.

My point is how easy it is to "Unknowingly" consume excessive amount of a medication, because the same medication is in several products that one would assume are totally unrelated.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Like with acetaminophen, i.e. Tylenol. You'll find this in several "cold medications". People get into toxic situations very quickly and do not EVEN know that they've done so. This is why med students are now taught to tell their patients to simply load-up ALL of their medications in a shoe-box or whatever and bring this Rx load into the medical office with them.

No, I got your point Sourdough, it's just that I run across so many bogus studies (and watch bogus studies being created), that I get royally jaded. Each study, I try to pick apart in my own mind. Now if it turns out that a given medication, a oft-prescribed medication, is an out-and-out a danger, then we are now faced with a huge problem and an ulcer-inducing dilemma.

Speaking of the terrible situation hidden ingredients cause, I'm going to try to find a table of the cut-off points of when to treat / not-treat potential acetaminophen overdose. Such is a terrible thing for the medical staff to try to solve.

e79a8467662c408d23875de7f81bfeff.png

Think about having to figure that one out and all you have are guesstimations. Acetaminophen would never be allowed to be sold over the counter were it just being discovered.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      332/345

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

There's a spin-off to "why med students ... tell their patients ...all medications in a shoe box ... and bring into the medical office with them".

The spin-off is the emergency/disaster event. The same patient must evacuate and evac situation evolves into this same person deciding to go to a medical clinic - or - gets rescued by an EMT ambulance and brought to a clinic. With all the commotion - and the patient might not even be conscious - the medics are at an extreme advantage to know what the person takes for x,y, and z. The RX stuff in the car was lost to the flood, the crash, any reason.

I "push" the emergency preparation matters for the citizen to have medical records as part of an evac. The records PLUS any current RX prescription docs PLUS any notes (even a store receipt with named items) any over-the-counter ointments, balms, dietary supplements, sun screens ,in a clear waterproof pouch eg Hefty, ZipLoc, Walmart GV brand - AND - carried on person.

The commotion at a medical clinic during an emergency is - O.G., I'm writing much of this to newbies here - well, it's busy and all med persons are not rested, in relaxed shape, and all the rest. Make it easy to receive advanced life support or even just an evaluation of injury / sickness (breathing in the bleach vapors during water purification procedure will not be something new to the medics).

An example: someone who just had a flu shot has a weakened immune system as the vaccine does it's work building the immunity. Knowing this helps the medics - and the non-medic responders will recognize the document from the major companies giving flu shots eg CVS, Rite Aid Walgreens.

To conclude my rambling; Along with my blank ICS forms when in responder mode I always carry 2 of the large - about 2 ft x 2 ft Hefty brand bags. Some of our citizenry are taking many types of medications as if the stuff is free ! Even had an event where cigarettes were an item - to wind down as part of a withdrawal program.

"Is there - - is there balm in Gilead ?"
    THE RAVEN Edgar Allen Poe