is anyone else into diys and crafts?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by BeautifullyBree, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm such a big fan of diy projects and crafts. I'm always looking for new things to make. I spent most of my day today making bows for a close friends daughter. Im interested to see what you like to create, and feel free to share photos!

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I like making bows too but not the kind i'd be giving to a young child!!!:D:p

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    It's always good to learn a thing or two about things that you may need, like tying knots, or even just making rope in general. If you are ever in a situation where you have to makeshift everything that you would need out of scraps, spare parts, or even things you just find in forests like vines and wood, you definitely have to know a thing or two in order to survive the night. If you master the simple DIYs, then you can upgrade into learning more complex things, such as being able to build shelters out of basically anything you can get your hands on, and then you can get the confidence to actually be able to do them when the time comes.

4. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I love crafting, I mostly make decorative items, wall art, dream catchers, jewellery etc. I did make a bow and arrow once out of kebab sticks when my partner and I decided to have a competition of who could make the best weapon out of what we had in the house. My bow and arrow was pretty cool, it worked too, we made a target out of a huge cardboard box. That was a fun day.

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Crafts and DIYs are completely fun, but can be useful, too. I just recently discovered the Instructables.com website. There are tons of great ideas for crafts and DIY things to keep you busy for a lifetime. There are also some cool sort of crafts/projects that are related to the survivalist enthusiast too that you can find. My favorite one is for a heater that requires nothing more than two flower pots, some tea lights and a metal cake/loaf pan. I have actually put this craft to use when the power went out in Indiana for seven days once in the dead of winter. It really works! Here is a link to the instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Flower-Pots-Tea-Lights-Heater/

6. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I really enjoy doing DIY things. But they never usually turn out super well. But on the rare occasion that my creations do turn out well I feel super fulfilled.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like & enjoy making all my own gear, or at least as much as I am able. My wife makes my clothes, But I have made my own in the past. I will not bother posting images of everything I have made, because it has become pretty obvious that the majority of members on this forum are simply not interested in the same things that I am interested in. I will just post an image of my knee garters which help secure my leather leggings. I finger wove these & beaded the fringe with #7 French glass beads.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The garters are tied just below the knee & secured at the back by tying the fringe. You will find more DIY items in the "All Things Primitive" section of this forum.

8. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I love DIY and crafts. My recent project is upcycling old glass jars for containers and organization. I want to put my air plants and succulents in a few, maybe making a few lanterns... that kind of thing.

9. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am a huge fan of DIY and already posted some of these on a forum that deals with these kind of stuff. Maybe some of you saw it but for those who didn't I will put some pictures. I make a lot of stuff and some come good some not so much. Recently I have a practice to make some toys for my nephew and he loves it.

Attached Files:

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I like to crochet. And I have made a lot of nice things and even sell some of my crocheted items. I also like other crafts. Recently I re-purposed a cobalt blue, glass beer bottle. I added a pour spout, copper wire, beads, and jute twine, to make a decorative bottle for holding my "gentle on hands" type dish liquid which I like to keep, diluted, by the kitchen sink.

11. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome. I've been wanting to make a dreamcatcher so bad. I was going to use some makeshift materials and see if I could make a nice one. I haven't came across and wild feathers and my local store doesn't cary any.

12. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    I like to crochet as well. I have been working on a blanket. Its rather large so it has been taking me a long time. I think this skill could be so helpful for surviving. You can crochet so many things shoes, hats, blankets, and even toys for kids in need!

cluckeyo likes this.
  13. robinsb

robinsb New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I love making DIY projects! I'm a creative person and is very passionate about creating things myself. Two years ago, the first DIY I learned ended up becoming a small business for me. I found a website that taught you different ways to make floral crowns. So, I instantly got the material I needed and started selling them on sites like Etsy and Depop. It was really fun and nice to know that people loved something I made so much to buy it. For myself, I really want to learn how to make my own scented candles and things like bath bombs.

14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    Ever since I was a student in my middle school I love making crafts already and I may say somehow that I am an artistic and a creative type of person and I really like doing some DIY projects and crafts that I love to see that I myself had made. And it always amazed me that out of those used things I can make something new in its form that I don't need to buy anymore and can be use for any purpose. If someone had the skill for making this creative projects its a great advantage and you should share this make to use of this kind of talent in art and project making.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  15. a_lady

a_lady New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I love crafting & DIY! I typically sew projects, but would love to get a silhouette so that I can try my hand at some woodworking and sign making. I have made some candles and soaps, so at least I can add that skill to my repertoire if needed. My husband and I practically DIY'd our entire home remodel, and learned a lot. I think that if the time ever came that we needed to employ those skills for survival, it would definitely be in our interest that we have tried our hand at so many different things!

16. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely love doing DIY projects. I especially love revamping old clothes into something new and exciting. There is nothing more satisfying than completing a DIY project!

17. katjamas

katjamas New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    When i was younger I used to be more into crafts, now I still like it very much but just do not do much of it. I love making jewellery and also clothing. Sometimes I make myself some necklaces or chokers, when I see something in the store that I know can be easily made and don't see the point of spending twice the money on something that will take under a hour to make.

18. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm only interested in something if it adds to my survival skills.
    yesterday I was on a green woodworking course for instance.