Is Filtering Salt Water Viable?

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by Okaviator, Jul 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Like the title suggests. Is filtering salt water a viable option to get fresh water? If so, what are some techniques for separating salt water from sea salt?

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Filtering no, use a solar still.
    Keith.

Bishop likes this.
  3. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to look into using that technique. Thanks for such a quick reply. Cheers!

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I did not add this image earlier, working on a borrowed computer whilst mine in for repair! Other stills can also be used to produce drinkable water from sea/salt water. With the solar still you can use urine or dirty water or salt water or flora/vegetation as in this image. The container in the center collects the good clean water.
    Keith.
    pWVdBWqBNH7w_m-CuxTBCRIlt3nh108y.gif

5. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't know the process of filtering salt water to fresh water but I have tasted a fresh water that comes from filtering water that comes from the sea. It is done here in my country of one of the famous hotel near the beach.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is a technique to boiling saltwater to collect the steam which then condenses into fresh water, this you can drink.
    I have never done it myself as I don't live by the coast but I have seen it done.

7. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for letting me know about this. I'll definitely be looking up that technique on Google.

8. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    Wow, this diagram actually makes it much more easier to understand. Thanks for coming back and sharing this picture. I'll definitely be trying out this technique later today

9. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    What's the name of this hotel might I ask? If you could tell me I wouldn't mind looking this up.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you can filter sea water to come up with a drinkable version. It's hard to explain but according to my knowledge of chemistry, a solution needs a drastic measure to separate the elements. Anyway, I had seen how the people in one coastal province here produce salt from sea water. They have a vat where they cook the seawater by boiling. The water will evaporate and the salt will remain. And since what you need is fresh water, you have to catch the evaporating steam by placing a sturdy blanket on top of the vat with the hem of the blanket directly pointed on a basin. The evaporating steam will be caught by the blanket and eventually collect the condensation to the basin.