Is The World's Changing Weather Presenting A Greater Threat Than Before?

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Brownbear, Jul 17, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Interestingly I was reading a climate change textbook a couple of days back and the author (Alex Epstein) listed a large number of weather related disasters, from droughts to hurricanes and their death tolls. The thing is they were from 1934, and nothing has really changed. The actual death tolls from natural events are lower nowadays (various reasons, not least that we have emergency services and transportation to bring relief etc).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    On this planet and for sure others, everything comes in cycles.

I do not pretend to understand such millinea-old phenomena. Some "scientists" (with a political agenda) imagine themselves all-knowing. Apparently, their egos know no bounds and they are utterly bereft of a gag-reflex.

The Church of Materialism has its priests and bishops (politically-correct legislators and university professors).

Can't see through that crap? Haven't been on Earth over two-thirds of a century have you!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    It amuses me actually, all this talk about climate change. You talk to people generally, and they all sprout on about how much hotter or colder or both it is this year from last year, blah, blah, blah.

I personally think there's a lot of false memories. A bit like crime witnesses who swear black and blue they saw something or someone, when in fact they were totally and utterly wrong. I did a course on it years ago. There were some very interesting experiments which showed how inaccurate people's perception is.

Yes, weather patterns change each year but I do think people exaggerate. It also may be hotter this summer than last, but 5 years ago or so, it was the same as it is now. Yet generally people forget that.

In any case, I personally believe "climate change" is something that happens regardless. It's a natural cycle. I don't think we contribute that much in the scheme of things.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    personally I think man made climate change or rather the man made element of it started with the Industrial Revolution and was and still is exacerbated by the use of oil and all those fossil fuels, its too late now anyway, its been 250+ years since that time.
    it is said that we are the first generation to realise that climate change is happening and the last generation able to do anything about it, but as I've said before unless we get countries like China and India on board then nothing will be done and we will just have to accept the consequences of our actions.
    get used to a warmer and wetter climate, dont think you'll need those thermals! but then again we could just have another ice age in Britain if all that fresh water from the Artic interferes with the Gulf stream. I probably wont be around to see it, which is a shame I would like to be able to say "I told you so!" LOL.

5. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    The reason for this is actually quite straightforward. We tended to play outside more as kids and remember the dull days inside and the sunny days outside from a naive perspective. Most people make the same mistake of confusing climate and weather. Weather is a symptom climate, but not a reliable one.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  6. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Longer than that LW, the scientific community were banging the drum back in the 1050s and prior to that:

"In 1896, a seminal paper by Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius first predicted that changes in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels could substantially alter the surface temperature through the greenhouse effect. In 1938, Guy Callendar connected carbon dioxide increases in Earth's atmosphere to global warming."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes granted but I was talking about the oil industry specifically.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Arrenhius did not, however, make the connection between human activity and climate change. Whilst he identified the greenhouse effect, the link between CO2 and climate was initially theorised by Charles Keeling in 1958 who measured the atmosphere at Mauna Loa observatory in Hawaii at that time. Even then it was many years before the theory grew in popularity.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I find it very odd that some people still do not link human activity to climate change, maybe they just dont want to acknowledge that we are partially responsible.

10. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    "Svante Arrhenius (1859-1927) was a Swedish scientist that was the first to claim in 1896 that fossil fuel combustion may eventually result in enhanced global warming. He proposed a relation between atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations and temperature. He found that the average surface temperature of the earth is about 15oC because of the infrared absorption capacity of water vapor and carbon dioxide. This is called the natural greenhouse effect. Arrhenius suggested a doubling of the CO2 concentration would lead to a 5oC temperature rise. He and Thomas Chamberlin calculated that human activities could warm the earth by adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. This research was a by-product of research of whether carbon dioxide would explain the causes of the great Ice Ages. This was not actually verified until 1987."

https://www.lenntech.com/greenhouse... doubling of,carbon dioxide to the atmosphere.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Not accepted until Charles Keeling Max. It was simply ignored, what you are looking at is "retrospective history". Think it through, if it had been accepted action would have been taken, the London smogs are evidence that action was not taken. The idea of global warming really only took hold in late sixties.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    TMT Tactical likes this.