Is This Survival Bow A Good Choice

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by JohnMcCormac, Sep 29, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. JohnMcCormac

JohnMcCormac New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    So I've got a firearm as part of my SHFT kit, but I'm thinking I'd really like to add in a light weight survival bow. I found this one by Spectre http://www.readytribe.com/the-best-survival-bow and it looks decent, plus it's under a hundred bucks. By chance does anyone own this bow or know of someone who does? Are there better options I should consider? I definitely need something more compact than a full compound bow, which is why this one looks pretty appealing.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, an acquaintance of mine has one of these & claims it is very good. I do NOT recommend a compound bow for use in the bush long term. I have a friend who purchased a top of the line compound & had nothing but trouble with it. Plus it needs special strings, you can not replace these with plant cordage as you can a traditional bow. Same with the arrows, you can not use ordinary arrows made by yourself for a compound.
    Keith.

JohnMcCormac likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm a traditional type of person and I prefer a wooden bow, dosent have to be an English longbow but with a wooden bow you can make it out of what is around you in nature, you can also repair it in the same manner, you cant do that with compounds.

JohnMcCormac and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.
    Keith.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Tried one of these last weekend.
    Nifty little thing, not the most accurate to shoot and with just three arrows damn near useless.
    Have maybe a dozen or so arrows and its looking better as a system but then the weight starts to stack up!

Still no where as good as a .22LR compact rifle and a brick of ammo!

The real weak spot with the bow and arrow thing is the supply of arrows!
    The recovery of used arrows is highly doubtful in a event where you need to use them for real.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've got a prepper friend who lives up north near the Scottish border, he swears by his compound bow, got one for each member of the family, trouble is they've got all the pulleys and stuff on them , if they go-and they do- if your either in the wilderness or its SHTF...or BOTH, you cannot repair them from anything you find in the wild, whereas if I break my wooden bow I can just cut a stave and whittle a new one.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. JohnMcCormac

JohnMcCormac New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Awesome. Thanks for the feedback guys. I may check out some wooden bows and see if anything strikes me.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a 40 lb draw bear recurve ive used since i was 14 simple but deadly it. Ive takein 17 deer and a elk with it

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Mr Boots

Mr Boots Expert Member
      188/230

Blog Posts:
    I hav some experience with different bows recurves and compounds in centers and solid wood and laminate wood bows with reenactment
    While solid wood bows (ash\yew) can be made out in the Bush (laminate take a lot more work) they can be troublesome as a they are one piece usually 5-6 foot long and can get tangled while in thick Bush
    They need special care while storied they hav to be laid flat in a cool dry area unstringed to stop them warping when not in use. When u do want to use it not a case of grab, string and shoot u hav to warm up the bow to help stop it snapping in two and the string (if it made out of linen ) it where the saying keep it under your hat came from as u kept your spare linen string under it had to keep it warm .
    Recurve and compounds from Man made material need less special care (every thing need a little tlc ) compounds can be good in low heavy Bush as u get a powerful bow in a small package but as said in other comments above if the pulleys break or the string snaps they are hard to made but also if you hav spares (as u should) a powerful compounds need a tension jig to replace the string and pulleys not easy to carry around while hunting
    Personally I prefer a recurve from man made materials about 40-50 lbs
    If a limb snaps to replace it only takes a Alan key most hav a hand tightable knob on them now and can be string by hand they also break down to three parts for easy storage and I hav seen limbs home made from wood when stuck and the string can be replaced with a linen one or most types of string at a pinch

If there is an archery club near u they might let u try out some of their bows out for size

10. Bearsfan

Bearsfan New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    never seen one of those before, I prefer a slingbow myself.

12. Bearsfan

Bearsfan New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Is the sling now smaller than this? I think this thin also shoots steel balls too.

13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Problem with most of the modern gadgets is that they are not sustainable long term. In this case if the synthetic sling should break, then the item is useless. Also by the looks of it it has a limited use. Packing something like this for emergencies may be okay, but then no matter how light it is it will add weight & take up room, so why not just get a decent bow.
    Keith.

14. Bearsfan

Bearsfan New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    No doubt that this cannot compete with an actual bow for longevity and power. The lingering question for me is would it be good for an unplanned emergency scenario. You happen to have this guy on you, balls or arrows.

15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A difficult one to answer, what situation, where, defence? Hunting? In my opinion NO, don't bother & don't waste your money. There are more suitable items you can purchase which are worth carrying. This is just another gadget designed to attract newbies who like gadgets.
    Keith.

16. Bearsfan

Bearsfan New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I see your point. So maybe more of a for fun thing or a gift.

Keith H. likes this.
  17. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Probably fun to shoot at targets.
    Keith.

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've converted several slingshots into sling bows. It is actually pretty simple. It will work for rabbits but I was actually more interested in it for bow fishing. It actually works pretty well and is still useful as a slingshot. A take down bow of good quality in as good as a non-takedown bow for general use. I also have made several PVC pipe bows that work amazingly well and are tougher then wood. With a little practice they can be quite beautiful and even made into take down bows. I have a 40 lb PVC pipe bow that has worked well for several years and best of all it only costs 6 or 7 dollars to make including camo duct tape to cover it. It has a para cord string and one of the neat things about these bows is that you never have to unstring them. Mine has been strung for theee years now and is still a 40 lb draw and works as good as ever.

Check this out it is fun and works great. This is his most simple build but it is an amazing thing for this amount of money. The Backyard Bowyer ...How to Build a 40 Pound No Heat PVC Bow for Less Than $7.

19. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    post-6475-0-06507300-1496018791_thumb.jpg post-6475-0-23910600-1496018725_thumb.jpg

This works really good for fishing and easy to make.

Keith H. likes this.
  20. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Except when the rubber breaks & there is no more rubber to be found. Fine in present day use, but I would not recommend it for a teotwawki situation long term use.
    Keith.

21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Survival needs to be looked at in stages. If you fail in the short term there is no long term. There are very few things that will last forever. But a sling bow is light and excellent for short term survival. For long term I will become a farmer and herder. I know how to make an atladl darts, wooden bows and arrows and primitive slings and spears. These things though take time to make and learn to use effectively. I'm working on the sling and bows right now and plan to learn about the atladl.

For the short term though guns and things like like the sling bow though limited in their replacement or long term durability of parts will make you much more likely to live to have a long term chance to learn adapt and survive. I have always been fond of sling shots myself. As a kid I was deadly with mine and it went everywhere with me.

Eventually the springs on a gun will fail. Keeping a gun clean while on the move will be hard. Failure to do so will lead to it deteriorating and oil or solvents aren't something that are always available. Black powder is especially corrosive and if you don't clean weapons that use it after every use they will get pitted in their bore and accuracy will suffer. I had a federal Firearms license and did gunsmith work for several years. I've seen a lot of just ruined barrels on muzzle loaders. A gun that shoots smokeless powder generally is more user friendly and will survive lack of cleaning a lot better than black powder weapons.

Weapons are like ways to make fire. You need as many different ways as possible and even though matches only last for a short while I plan on having a bunch of them as well as other more primitive methods like flint and steel. Actually I will have ferocerium rods for the rest of my life. A 1/2" X 6" rod is cheap and will light thousands and thousands of fires and I have a bunch of them. I have a lot of guns and enough ammo to fight a small war but I nonetheless am also conversant with bows and other primitive weapons. Don't dismiss something just because it won't last forever. The first years will be the hardest. Anything that will make them easier will be a good choice especially if it is light weight and small.

22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    use what you can until it is no longer available or no longer repairable.
    use it to get to a point in time where you can live without it.
    applies to technology, gear, weapons, anything you want to name.
    in survival post SHTF we have to evolve and adapt to the changing situation.

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The human animal is the most adaptable creature ever to evolve. Even without our various tools we are extremely dangerous rascals to mess with.

24. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I have thought about trying to make a windless slingshot I done good in the past with a windless trap but Don't know if I could make one small enough and strong enough to be any good

Keith H. likes this.