Isolation Of Diseases In A Post Shtf Environment.

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by lonewolf, Dec 15, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Wife and I have recently gone down with a nasty bug which she brought back from visiting Nephew and his family.
    whilst this is nothing more than an inconvience NOW it might be something much worse in a SHTF world.
    I was thinking you might like to consider enforcing a segregation "unit", a tent or the garage or some other structure away from the main living quarters, maybe quarantine any visitors or members of your group coming back from a trip, maybe a week to ten days to see if they are infectious.
    it might be a bit of a hassle but it could save your life or the lives of others. they might have more than just a cold??

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good thinking mate, well done. This could be tricky in winter, quarantined in a tent!!! I suppose for myself we could move the healthy all into the main house & use the cottage for the sick or possibly infectious, but for most people this will not be possible. Something for families to think about for sure.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was just throwing out ideas with the tent, no not suitable in the winter, mate.
    not everyone is going to have the same accomodations and each may be different.
    i'm just trying to get across the idea of isolating people that may come into ones holdings in a SHTF event, some may be infected and we have no way of knowing what they are carrying unless we isolate them for awhile.
    if people want to have a group post SHTF these things have to be considered, don't they?

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here in America when our ancestors got off the boat, they were NOT immediately let in.

They were given quick/crude physicals and many were quarantined. They had to go through legal process. If they appeared to be pale/wan, undeveloped/weak-looking, or god-forbid fevered, they most assuredly were quarantined or simply put back on a returning ship.

At least a quarter million (a small fraction, really) immigrants were sent back to Europe due to their having failed physical and/or psychological (to include intelligence) tests. If an immigrant didn't fit the bill as a potential useful worker, poof!, that person was sent back.

Whether good times or bad, a country can't simply let people flow in -- that is insanity writ large. Post SHTF, rest assured that small communities are NOT going to let people in unless they already have family there or they can prove that they have needed skills. I see them being quarantined by whatever methodology, camped outside of town or quarantined to the houses of relatives. A SHTF situation by its very nature bespeaks taking a higher level of caution in all matters.

If the SHTF event(s) include any plague/contagion, then nobody -- and I do mean ZERO people -- are going to be taken in anywhere. Maybe there would be developed something akin to a leper colony, however I wouldn't count on it. Communities of those non-infected would likely shoot at anyone attempting to break into their safe perimeter. I would call upon my dark side and shoot them myself. One sometimes has to eat the nightmares.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely, totally agree.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I thought the general consensus was to never go out as one already had everything needed, no trading needed!
    and to shoot anyone who approaches ones retreat for security and logistic reasons.

There are threads here on isolationism!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i have always said Oldguy, , post SHTF more people will be killed by disease than other people.
    these diseases will explode WTSHTF: TB, Hepatitis A, Cholera, Typhoid-this is the one most people are scared of, whooping cough & influenza.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Yep!
    Stay away from people and if you need to trade etc keep a respectable distance at all times.

Anything you trade for needs to be handled with caution until decontaminated etc etc
    wear a dust mask and gloves if you can.
    Try to keep 4m distance and not be downwind.

Have airtight bags to carry any trade goods.

Pretend you are sick so others willingly keep their distance!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not talking about trade i'm talking about people who come into our encampment post SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Fleas, crabs etc will be a bigger problem.
    Have a small shed or similar so they can wash themselves, shave, cut hair short and generally disinfect themselves, rinse and repeat in 12 hours, supply with clean clothes while washing and disinfecting thiers.
    Have small clean cabin as a holding zone, cabin needs to be in the open so sunlight can dry/steralize everything

Spray everything with bleach after use and dry well.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sounds more like a Nazi concentration camp, which wasn't what I meant at all.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Depends how serious one is !

Most anyone living in unsanitary conditions will in a short time get fleas, headlice, crabs, ticks and other parasites and they will pass them on with ease.
    Anyone leaving ones retreat and spending much time in the bush or populated places will need decontamination on returning family or not!
    These are chances not needed to be taken with just a little effort.
    If there is much chance of infection then the stay in the isolation cabin may be up to two weeks depending on the intel you have.
    Whatever is going around in town will give one a clue on what to look for and how long to isolate!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Even just working around the retreat a damn good wash and inspection before re-entering the retreat proper makes good sense.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know why I bother sometimes.
    this is going off in a direction I never intended or envisaged.
    I had an old mate who went by the name of Northern Raider, he always talked about swamping everything from people to work surfaces in Bleach, okay until the bleach runs out which it will in the quantities he talked about using!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Most people would welcome the opportunity to clean up and get a shower, simply offering them a chance of food, to wash themselves and their clothes before getting a decent nights sleep....even if they're isolated from the rest of the group for a week. If it's explained to them rationally and calmly there is no reason to object....no need for draconian measures.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Isolationism?

There are no cowboys in any organized military. Even scout-snipers are a crew of at least two. No six'o'clock = death and mission failure.

I have no advice on how to find trustworthy people or how to find people who will trust you. I've found several (not many) salt-of-the-Earth people who I have trusted with my life. It is no easy task to find such folk. Once upon a time in Southern Appalachia, many good and worthy people could be found. It's no longer the case. Faith in God and hope for a beautiful eternity spent with one's ancestors were once goals. Now that society is collapsing, people's hearts are turning black.

I've seen some extreme examples of non-normal humans. I've yet to see a human with eyes in the back of their head.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the last 9 years I have met maybe 2 other preppers I could trust and work with, I have also met in that time a lot of people I wouldn't even turn my back on never mind trust!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    A potential threat Diseased dead folks rotting in streams that would be drinking water sources . Locally last week they were looking for two bodies in a stream . They didn't find the two bodies they were looking for but found another body . Looking for dead folks in the streams around here seems to happen fairly frequently .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I thought that I had responded on this thread...Oh well getting old.

One thing that you need in all of your bags and kits is hand sanitizer. This is some handy stuff for several uses. If you disinfect your hands immediately after contacting someone it reduces the chances you have of catching something. It also can be used as a sort of pre-surgical scrub. It also is extremely flammable and is useful for helping start fires in wet conditions. The little tiny bottles are cheap and don't take up much room I have a couple in each bag.

Another thing that you should have is masks . They will protect you from dust and offer some protection from bacteria, smoke and some tear gasses. I also have a little jar of Vick's vapor rub in with them. The smell of death is never something that you get totally used to and there will be a lot of that in a post apocalyptic world.

You also need to have gloves that you can use and throw away. I carry plastic gloves that cost a penny apiece for everyday things and some nitrile gloves for wound care.

I don't think that I can quarantine my family. If I do I will have to quarantine them and someone to care for them. If you will use precautions they can be cared for without total isolation.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    funnily enough Tex I carry a bottle of hand sanitizer gel in the car and use it regularly when in public, especially when using public toilets and cafe's.
    I also have surgical masks and gloves and Vick in my stores.
    must be an age thing.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Oldguy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a large roll of clear plastic, many uses, one is to quickly set up a clean room, ceiling, walls, floor, even ducted air with just staples.

It can also be used to cover broken windows, doors etc even to cover mattress's etc!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Now this is certainly a thought provoking topic. One that I had completely over looked. Returning family members for venturing afar (exploring ,trading trips) probably should get quarantined for a minimum 10 day period. Those returning from a short hunting / recon patrol, simple inspection for critters. The plastic, gloves, and good hygiene should be practiced as best as possible.

Now for strangers, that is a whole different ballgame. Unknown incubation periods are the main issue. You don't know them or what they may have been exposed to, that poses a real problem. Time to go check the isolations pages.