Items to Have on Hand in a Snowy Situation

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by SurvivalGirl87, Apr 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SurvivalGirl87

SurvivalGirl87 Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    There are many different situations where you will need to adapt and have first aid supplies on hand. First aid supplies can be basic and simple yet applied across of Versatility of different scenarios. For example one scenario in which you will have to factor in some different first aid supplies is a snowy one. First aid situations in frozen environments or icy environments are slightly different. Medications that you would normally be able to use in warmer climates will not be able to be used as easily. Often ointments and creams can begin to freeze.
    You will have to use body heat such as placing them in your pocket to warm them before using them or if you live in these areas you can buy special kits that have first aid supplies which are waterproof and temperature resistant.
    [​IMG]

Being able to survive in a snowy situation will require your first aid kit to have different items in it than what you would find in normal over the counter purchase first aid kits. A great thing to have in your first aid kit in a snowy climate is instant hand warmers.These can be cracked open and placed inside of pockets and shoes in order to help prevent you from going into hypothermia. Blankets, fire starter logs, and waterproof matches are also great items to have in your first aid kit for snowy weather! The best way to survive a snowy scenario is to be prepared with the proper first aid equipment beforehand. Survival can be rough, but it doesn't have to. Be prepared and have the proper first aid items on hand for a situation that you hope will never occur.

2. Dallas845

Dallas845 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Weedygarden like this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The very best thing to have in a cold climate is a route to a southern climate.

Morgan101 likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you TMT-T. I do fine even with 115-degree summer heats but water is for drinking, bathing or swimming in. When the water started turning into Ice this Big ole Texas Boy turns into a WIMP!! Down here we go slip-sliding in the mud. Bitter Cold starts at 40 F. My normal cold weather gear subsists of T-shirt and a hoody or a flannel shirt. I have never in my life worn wool and don't even know of anyplace that sells it. Cotton is king you know.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  5. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Cotton will kill you here. Wool, fur, and high tech fabrics rule.

6. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    One of the most important rules in extreme cold is not to overheat. Wear layers and remove or add layers depending on the activity. It’s very easy to overheat based on a activity. The right type of clothing is important. Wool and wool blends work well as base layers. Synthetic or wool midlayers. Your outers are depending on the environment. Windproof, waterproof and high durability are important for outers.

I’ve been stuck out overnight more than once, so pack accordingly. Extra gloves, hand/feet warmers, firestarters, etc. If you have something to make hot tea or coffee then you are golden.

TMT Tactical, Caribou and Morgan101 like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My all-time favorite retirement story: A guy works his entire career for 3-M in their corporate headquarters in Minneapolis. At his retirement party they ask him " What are you going to do?" He says "I am going to put the snow blower on top of the car, and drive south until somebody says ' What is that thing?' Then I know this will be a good place to stay."

This thread needs a little qualification. The only thing I do differently in the Winter is swap out the clothes I keep in my car. In Fall and Winter I will have extra gloves, hats, scarves, probably an extra coat. In Spring and Summer I will have lighter clothing, t-shirts, shorts, tennis shoes. Nothing else changes. I have never had ointments in my IFAK freeze. Even the water I carry seldom freezes.

When we know snow is coming we do make sure the cars all have a full tank of gas, and usually a bottle of HEAT in the tank. My wife and son have no place to go, so they can bug in. My commute is very short, and not an issue. No hills, no bridges, no highway. The snow that barricades the driveway after the plow comes through is the biggest issue. We don't have small children anymore, so we don't need extra milk or diapers. If you do have little ones think it all through. What will you need if you can't get out.?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Like M101, simply changing the heavy over shirt for the light over shirt (concealed carry cover) and I am done for the various seasons. Have never had the water in the trunk freeze. Don't store food in the trunk unless going on a long drive. Nothing that will melt is stored in the car at any time. Water is kept in the car at all times. It may hit the fan but I will have water.

Morgan101 and Caribou like this.