Job Skills

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by ProNine, Jul 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    To everyone here, does your job provide any useful skills that you can use during a SHTF moment. For example, a security guard will know how to watch out best for any intruders that might pass by your base. Another one is engineers, mechanical engineers to be specific. They might be the best ones able to solve problems and create small devices and machines to assist. What about you, what does your job have to offer?

2. RichE8475

RichE8475 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    That is a really good question. I have worked in the Social Services field as a counselor, and I have worked healthcare as a phlebotomist/CNA. I had completed a year of RN school before I had to withdraw due to some personal problems at the time. The skills that I feel I would bring to a situation are the ability to understand and calm individuals in a crisis. I worked a contract position at The Ohio State University Medical center on the trauma team. I was responsible for making sure the families of the patients were being cared for. It was very hard work, and a lot of times you wanted to cry alongside them, but I had to maintain my professionalism. I know that in a time of crisis I would be able to handle myself, and offer whatever help is needed.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have had many jobs, from labourer to bodyguard & many others in between, all have taught me something that is beneficial to my survival.
    Keith.

4. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I am a nurse by profession and this job has indeed taught me a lot of things when it comes to handling emergency situations. I just wish I had joined the military nursing which was offered to us before. My colleagues who joined shared a lot of information on how to handle emergencies during wars or military operations.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've had a lot of jobs in my life from office work to telephone operator, but my best job was as a self employed gardener, I taught myself to grow crops, clear land, cut down trees and put up fencing, best job I ever had.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am a machinist by trade in a local shipyard. I have fabricated many parts for my scooters by using and applying my fabrication/drilling/ and tapping skills learned in this yard. Combined with some welding skills ...I have kept my scooters running long past the time other have given up. I have an olde moped with over 29,000 miles on it and it still runs.

I have acquired extensive drill sets over the years as well as metric and standard SAE taps and die sets.

Working In the Nuclear field has taught me a bit about decontamination/radiation ...reading a counter..I have my own counter in my daily BOB... I also carry some disposable nitrile gloves in my daily bob....I know to stick some kind of covering on my nose and mouth and breath through it as a filter in such events. You want to reduce internal contamination. External contamination can be washed/wiped off..but internal contamination must be naturally purged from your body by it's natural processes and monitored.

While it is not a job skill per se..I have taught myself to run a two way radio...understand the frequency bands..and also as a ham ...read and transmit morse code. I try in particular to keep my morse code skills up...even in this day of all this fast technology. I believe in SHTF and TEOTWAWKI that much of this technology on which we have grown accustomed will fail or be shut down.

I can also use lockpicks and have a set right now in my back pocket which I keep with me daily and for years and years now.
    I can also fabricate my own picks and tensioners if needed ...shims as well.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

GS AutoTech likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Lordy!! Over the years I've done so many things both for a living and because I just wanted to know how to do it. I have worked professionally as a Machinist, Gunsmith, Draftsman, Auto Mechanic, Diesel mechanic, Bouncer, Roofer, Slab work and repair, Framing carpenter, Plumber, Repair Electrician, Construction Electrician, HVAC licensed tech, Writer, Philosopher and cantankerous old fart!!!. I work on anything that you might find in a home, restaurant or motel and have painted schools, houses and cars. I do leather work, wood carving, ammo reloading, fly tying, Native American Bead work, Knife making, Gardening, Hunting, Fishing and am a bit of a mad scientist and chemist.

Watcherchris I made a small pick out of one of those key/knives that look like a brass key and have a little blade on them. I think I paid a buck or two for it. I have it on my key ring and always have a big bobby pin or two on me somewhere. Those things are just handy!

GS AutoTech likes this.
  8. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    TexDanm,

Yes Indeed!!!!

I have managed to get back into my garage, my truck, my house, and my locker/lockers at work.

I do not do this for other people in my neighborhood. I decided that was not the way to go ...going about rescuing people who are to stupid or unmotivated to learn to handle themselves. The first time something is missing ...they will be stupid enough to look at you.

Wildlife with a movie and television education.

But good for you TexDanm.....good for you.

Watcherchris.

9. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Did you hear about the idiot who locked his keys in his car??
    Had to call a locksmith to get his family out..
    :)

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Is that like the Aggies that drowned in the back of a truck when it rolled into the river and they couldn't get the tailgate to go down??

GS AutoTech likes this.
  11. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    LOL