Just for laughs: what to do when you run out of ammo.

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Correy, May 25, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:

I loved the play doh ones! It didn't perforate but broke through that concrete block, because it had an excellent energy transmition to the surface of coalition. I think that's supposed to be the basis of non-lethal ammo, but I'm prety sure that impact power can mess a person really bad if fired at soft tissue.

Note that he doesn't just cram the thingies bare on the barrel of his gun, but uses an empty unused shell to place them into formation.

Warning: Don't do these things for fun if you love your gun. Many makeshift ammo can destroy the barrel.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Reloading ammo ammo from others lots of ammo around here

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Running out of ammo means you have no ammo left. If you are using a modern firearm, then you can only carry so much ammo with you. Do you carry loading equipment & primers with you too? Can you stop the primers deteriorating? What if your modern firearm malfunctions? Are you left with a goat stake & a club or can you fix it?

I have modern firearms, these in a survival situation will be kept for defence only, NOT hunting. I also have several flintlock muzzle-loading guns, so I will NOT be running out of ammo any time soon if ever. If I was alone & could only take one gun with me, it would be my smoothbore flintlock fusil. For long term wilderness living/survival a flintlock, in my opinion, is the best you can use.

What most people fail to realise is that people that use primitive tools & skills have a totally different attitude in regards to the life they lead. Let me try & explain this without going into the whole lifestyle thing: Imagine there is this writer/photographer who owns a reasonable quality SLR camera but it is not top of the range. Never the less, these days images are very important when writing a magazine article, so this chap is dedicated to what he does. He not only uses colour film, but he also uses black & white film. He loves the different effects he can get with black & white film by changing the camera settings & using lens filters. He also does his own developing.

Now let's look at an average person who loves taking photographs, but he is not quite as dedicated as the writer, he does this mainly for fun. He has a top of the range digital camera, easy to use, & easy to upload onto his computer. Who out of these two people do you think produces the best images?

That is what it is like with people that use primitive tools & equipment. They have done the research & they have gained the experience. Back in the 17th & 18th centuries, the flintlock was one of the best guns you could get. Every woodsman & woods-woman carried one in the New World. The woodland Indians coveted the flintlock & traded for one of their own, many not only discarding their traditional bow & arrows but also over time they lost the skill to make their own bows & arrows. From 1825 to 1840 (19th century) was the time of the Western Fur Trade Rendezvous, just 15 years of the fur trade at its height. By this time the percussion muzzle-loader was now in use worldwide, but not so in the Rocky Mountains. Why not? Because the percussion gun could not be relied on, it needed caps to make it work & there was no supply of caps in the wilderness. All the flintlock required was a piece of siliceous rock for its ignition, so the Mountain Men & the woodsrunners & Indians kept their flintlocks.

300 years later this has not changed, the flintlock is still the best gun to use in the wilderness, & like I said, I will not be running out of ammo any time soon if ever.
    Keith.

[​IMG]
    Advantages of a Flintlock Muzzle-loader.

1) Ammo is less expensive than a modern equivalent caliber firearm.

2) The smoothbore is very versatile, being able to digest round ball, bird shot, & buckshot, or any combination of two of these (can also use minies).

3) The fusil is lighter to carry than a modern equivalent sized gun.

4) You can vary the load if needs be.

5) The smoothbore will digest other projectiles besides lead.

6) Lead can be retrieved from downed game & remoulded with a simple mould & lead ladle. This means that you can carry less lead, & more of the lighter gunpowder.

7) You can make your own gunpowder.

8) You can use the lock to make fire without the need for gunpowder.

9) You can use gunpowder for gunpowder tinder fire lighting if needs be.

10) IF the lock should malfunction (these are very robust & it is not likely) you can easily repair it if you are carrying a few spare springs & a few simple tools.

11)If you do not have any spare parts & the lock malfunctions, you can easily convert it to a tinderlock or matchlock & continue using it.

12) You do not need a reloader, brass shells, caps, or primers. The latter have been known to break down in damp conditions or if they are stored for too long.

13) Wadding for ball or shot is available from natural plant materials or homemade leather or rawhide.

14) Less chance of being affected by future ammunition control legislation.

15) Gunpowder is easily obtainable providing you have a muzzle-loader registered in your name regardless of caliber (only NSW is looking at this legislation at present).

16) A .32 caliber flintlock rifle is more powerful than a .22 rimfire, less expensive to feed, more accurate over a greater distance, able to take small & medium sized game, & other than not being able to use shot (unless it is smoothbore), it has all the attributes of the other flintlocks.

17) Damage from a .62 caliber-.75 caliber pistol or long arm is in the extreme. Wounded prey is unlikely to escape.

18) By using buck & ball you are unlikely to miss your target. This load is capable of taking out more than one target.

19) There is less kick-back to a muzzle-loading gun.

20) Antique Flintlock muzzle-loading guns do not require a license, registration, or a permit to purchase in NSW Australia.

Zyphir and Correy like this.
  4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Modern ammo is cheap light and durable!
    Why have you run out!
    Can't shoot straight?

If I am hunting each shot should be a kill!
    A roo or goat size animal should do you a week! that's 50rd a year!!
    You can carry a decades worth easy! and each member of your group should be carrying more!

No need to ever run out of ammo!
    and if you need to defend yourself you can use the defeated enemies weapons you know! they will use yours if you fail!

5. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    That's why I said "just for laughs" in th title. Of course the only application of the above video is to try to restock in ammo, only if you have the spare unused cartriges and ample time to goof off.

But thanks for the extensive guide on guns, it propably deserves its own thread altogether.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I am a reloader and have been reloading for fourty years!

I will not be reloading after TSHTF!
    you gain nothing from reloading post event!
    To reload properly you need to be set up and left in peace to reload! it is the only way to get reloads good enough to bet your life on!
    Weight wise to carry a reloading kit and supplies to reload weighs more than the ammo itself!
    And the most secure safest way to carry powder primers and projectiles is enclosed in a brass case! ie loaded ammo!
    I have tried field reloading and it can be done but it is not reliable!

Yes you can carry powder and ball but you still only have what you can carry and in the bush you will not find lead to make ball!
    you will be dependant on recovering your used shot! you will not recover all!
    You would need in excess of a 95% recovery rate to make it work long term!
    and still not a patch on a .22LR rifle and ammo!

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Our reloading den is well stocked with supplies we need

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I will have more important things to do than reload!
    I am doing ALL my reloading now pre SHTF!
    Still have components for 1,200 12g slug rounds, just need more suitable hulls!

9. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    There's this game called Fallout 4, and they have a gun there that specializes in using junk as ammo, such as nails, aluminum cans, and even teddy bears. Sure, that last one was for laughs in the game, but it also uses a powerful suction and blower to propel these junk into high velocity pellets, making these random pieces of junk powerful ammo, just in case you run out of bullets when you are out in the world, and you need to defend yourself against the dangers that lurk outside.

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a permanent catastrophe all ammo will eventually run out, even if you reload at some point all your supplies will be exhausted. nothing lasts forever.
    that's when a knowledge of primitive weapons will come into its own.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In reality it is not possible in a modern rifle. Breech loading shotguns can be reloaded with various items if you are careful & know what you are doing, but eventually as lonewolf says, modern ammo will run out.
    If you are using a flintlock muzzle-loader of course this can be avoided. 1) you are not likely to run out of normal ammo, & 2) you can safely use other forms of projectile if needs be.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

12. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Running out of ammo will be a problem for my grand or great grand children!
    Not a problem for me or my son!

I expect to consume less than 100rd per year hunting and even less defending myself!
    All my guns are excellent in quality and condition
    and I expect to gain guns and ammo from those I need to defend against!

This bull of running out of ammo is purely for those who start with too little or spray and prey wasting ammo!
    Use the sights, hit the target one round is enough for each target! unless you face zombie wave attacks most encounters will be over before five accurate shots are fired!

13. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I plan not to run out of ammo. Don't like to even think about it.

14. dero56

dero56 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Duct tape a knife to your firearm and hopefully it's long enough for you to have a usable spear that will at least give you some range if you're in a sticky situation. Then of course trying to get your hands on more ammo but homemade ammunition seems a bit sketchy because you never know if it will work properly and not backfire on you, whilst injuring yourself.

15. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    The thought of it makes me paranoid. Haha. I guess I'd have to bring a machine gun and put all the belt ammos all over my body just to be sure. But they will still run out so what to do?? Bring more ammos! Put it in your backpack. Haha. :D

Keith H. likes this.
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are travelling with others you can get some of the others to help in the carrying of ammo. If you are travelling alone you are limited as to how much weight you can carry in ammo. You DO NOT want to compromise the carrying of other essential items. Traditional bows are good but of little use against others with firearms in most situations. I choose to carry a flintlock muzzle-loading gun, so I am less likely to run out of ammo.
    Keith.

17. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Use that freakin gun to whack those zombies head. If what i have is a pistol, deym... Time to run...

18. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh you are really wise sir Keith! As always! I bet you are ready for some zombie apocalypse! :D I agree with you that if I travel alone it will be hard to carry more ammos.
    Your weapon of choice seems to be special. I bet you are really a good shooter. Maybe you need a cook in your team! :D

19. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Ammo lasts and lasts. I still shoot .303 Brit out at the range. Yes, some cases get split necks due to fulminate of mercury primers aging the brass -- still it goes boom. We're talking 60 year old ammo. Today's ammo will store even longer, especially with annealed necks, lacquered primers, lacquered bullets. Russian 7.62 x 54R ammo from decades past is still good; few, if any, misfires. Even the steel cased stuff you can count on. American Civil War ordinance is still dangerous and that is from back in the 1860s. Ammo lasts longer than humans.

If your ammo is water soluble, first use Spick and Span to clean the bore. Muzzle pointed down, run rod with patch breech end first, soak patch, work back and forth until bore is clean. Dry the bore, then use modern bore protectors such as Birchwood Casey Barricade.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  20. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    IMG_2989.jpg Rocks hexnuts clay balls marbles ball bearings jaw breakers rebar cut off arrows darts slingshot shat eats it all and then some

21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Primers weigh nothing and if you seal them with a vacuum sealer they will last almost indefinitely. Lee Loaders don't weigh much either and I can reload for a modern weapon just like you would with a flint lock. Make my own powder, cast my bullets and shoot away. The big advantage is that I can load up a bunch of rounds and in say a lever action rifle, shoot a lot of times while you are reloading. The same can be done with shotgun shells. Cut the plastic off, replace the primer and then front load the shotgun. All that said though right now I have enough powder and primers to load several thousand rounds. While I own three presses I also have all of my most used calibers in Lee Loader as well in case I have to run which is highly unlikely. I bugged out about 25 years ago.

If I did somehow run out of ammo or options to make more I also have bows, slingshots, slings and about every form of edged weapon ever used. I also have made all of the above so can replace them if they wear out, get broken or lost. I especially like lever actions because they have a long long history of dependability.