Just Got Here

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Jan Nylander, May 3, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Jan Nylander

Jan Nylander Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I have been interested in prepping for a long time, and have saved a lot of stuff for survival. Yet, unless I misunderstand, I get a lot of conflicting information about food storage. My firearms are okay.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    welcome to the forum. what is your problem with food storage? we have many members with years of experience and they may be able to solve your problem.

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

Sourdough likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Jan,

Welcome to the Forum.

Elaborate on the food storage matter. It's one of the easier subjects to work with.

It would help if you mention the climate / topography of your area.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  5. Jan Nylander

Jan Nylander Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi lonewolf, please bear with me. I'm not used to navigating around this site. Yes, I have some questions.
    1. Can I store beans or rice (in mylar) and put it in a new, one gal. paint can? With sealed top, of course.
    2. Is it advisable to place beans or rice in a vacuum bag and store it in a glass container?
    3. Why use locked plastic containers if food is stored in mylar?
    4. Is my honey bad? I put honey in washed mason jars, but did not sterilize.
    5. Is sterilization necessary for all foods stored in glass?

6. Jan Nylander

Jan Nylander Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello Pragmatist. Thanks for your reply. I asked questions of lonewolf. At age 85, I am not too good with computers.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to this forum.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the site from WV.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Welcome!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    1. use only food grade plastic containers or glass(canning) to store food in .
    2. yes you can do that.
    3. plastic containers will keep the critters out generally , mylar won't.
    4. honey should last forever, if it crystalizes just heat it up and it will be good to go.
    5. yes its just safer that way. you need to can them or water bath them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. Ask any questions you want. There is a lot of expertise here. Don't be shy. All are willing to share.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dry food stuffs like rice, beans, noodles simply keep a good long while packaged as they are.

Wanna store them for even longer time, put them in a container with 2 or 3 oxygen absorber packs. Plain old glass canning jars work fine. You do NOT need to pull a vacuum on these jars. O2 absorber packs draw-out the oxygen and leave CO2 and nitrogen -- all bugs even itty-bitty bugs need oxygen to live. Keep the jars in a dry place (dank basements aren't advised) and keep the temperature constant-ish -- don't store then in a hot area.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=oxygen+absorber+packets&atb=v140-1&ia=shopping

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    You like oatmeal? Oatmeal in its own container stores for like better than a year. Cycle your pantry -- store what you normally eat and rotate your stores via consuming the older stuff.

Hey, rice is rice. You're gonna be boiling it up and spicing it anyway.

Do you like peanut butter? That stuff keeps. So do sealed jars of jelly.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Jan Nylander

Jan Nylander Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Old Geezer. Perhaps I'm an older geezer. I'm 85.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Man, you're still just a kid. Three of my grandparents lived to be 90 and older (ages at which they set out for the next world: 90, 94, 100). My paternal grandfather only lived to be 69; he had a bad heart due to rheumatic fever he contracted in his twenties. I was a "kid" to a guy here in town who is now pushing 90. Electrical engineer; during WWII he developed a navigational radar that preventing our ships from hitting each other when in port and in dense formation during pea-soup fog. He knew some fascinating folks. His mind is as sharp as ever. As we age, our memory retrieval may go to poop, but that does NOT spell dementia. Dementia is a disorder unto itself; it is NOT a given by any stretch of the imagination. My one grandmother's mind was sharp a tack at age 99; she'd never been a nice person and was that same self-centered person when she passed to the next world.

Old Geezer, May 12, 2020
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Jan Nylander

Jan Nylander Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi Old Geezer. I have had a lot of trouble with mylar bags. Before I close and seal them, the stuff keeps popping out. I must be doing something wrong. Or is it that a three gallon bag, for example, can contain only arounf 2.5 gallons of food. Perhaps I could use bags where I take the oxygen out.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Jan Nylander

Jan Nylander Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello Pragmatist. I have trouble with mylar bags. It's hard to seal them without the food dribbling out. Maybe I could use those food stage bags where you take the air out with some kind of electronic thing. How about storing oatmeal in glass or new paint cans?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've never messed with these Mylar bags. Ever.

I use plain old Mason jars. Some people my use them, but if you are having trouble with them, then to hell with them. Throw the dang Mylar bags away and buy mason jars and lids, for heaven's sake!

If you open 2.5 gallons of food, then by-god you have to consume it all. Opening quart or half-gallon jars is infinitely more practical. In a SHTF situation, you'll have no power for refrigeration, so what are you going to do with all of the surplus when opening these bags?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get your mind off Mylar. Seems not to be for you.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.