Just Lost A Post Was Typing Up

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Pragmatist, Nov 17, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Just lost a post was typing up ...... Didn't touch a thing ! It just disappeared.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have that problem all the time. I've got so that I do my longer missives in Word and then paste to here. ??? I don't have this problem on other boards.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not thinking that I have any knowledge that will help with this.

I continually and manually kill cookies. I have strict security measures and do my best to kill any s/w entity possessing a memory. I monitor CPU usage to detect unaccounted-for excessive activity. My home server requires security handshakes from any devices sending queries.

Still, while writing something lengthy-ish for my own use, I manually copy/paste current edit to an app such as WordPad. I save this to a bucket of files. Should the PC have a grand mal seizure, upon reboot I go to the bucket and get my saved data back. If what you need to backup is not personal, you can do backups to the cloud.

The following is just boring techie crap:

My work-environment security and backups may not be NSA, however the environment is bank-vault central. I keep a dedicated work laptop at home. When logging into systems, there are the passwords, but then the servers send me a phone call to make sure I am me. Every day I have to enter something like 12 passwords and get over 5 phone calls from security computers / digital gods. With or without my permission, a server continually queries my work laptop, notes deltas, and stores changes. If I do not interact with the machine, there exists a time limit after which I am automatically logged out. To get back in, there's another phone call from some computer god.

My son could hack my private stuff for s##ts'n'grins. He helps people with s/w security issues. Were he to attempt to get into the work stuff, the digital gods would come back after him ... at first silently, for him. However, I would get a phone call.

But in the end, it's all just a bunch of J-K flip-flops.

upload_2020-11-18_23-24-56.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Mine does it often. Usually I back out and then come back and auto save has saved most or all of my post.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Pragmatist,

I too have had similar and in particular when I am making long posts...and often when hitting "Send" the entire post disappears as if I have hit a time out button.

What I have learned to do is similar to Texdanm...I copy the text periodically in making a post...and then a final copy when completed.

This way I do not lose everything..,and can quickly re paste it when done..

I never quite thought it through as does Texdanm..but that would solve alot ...using Word..then doing a copy and paste it only once before posting.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Watcherchris and all,

Appreciate the information and guidance.

Now I know it's not just me with numerous passwords and screen names.

Still resting up from Yesterday's D.C. trip

TMT Tactical likes this.