Keeping Track

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by Arkane, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Keeping Track
    How many here plan to keep a detailed logbook/Diary of whatever it is happens?

I know that in times of stress that later on you will have trouble remembering the sequence and exact details of things that happened!
    This is where a daily log of events comes in very handy! you can record exact details like locations times names etc!
    It can be a great enabler later on if you want to return somewhere to find a cache you left behind or the exact location of a loved ones grave etc!
    You can also review it later to learn from it and strengthen your memory!
    Maybe later on get you out of the poop if you are accused of something you did not do! unless you did of course!

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    nope not me.

3. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    So you plan on doing stuff you would rather no one knew about?

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I will be doing everything I can to survive, diary writing is for the ladies.

5. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    A logbook is a survival tool itself!
    If you don't wish to avail yourself or it that's ok.
    Not macho enough to bother with?

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not enough time, i'll be too busy just surviving.

7. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I will have plenty of time!

8. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Once the dust settles, you might need things to do anyway. It makes sense to me to keep a journal. If something happens to you, it would help others piece together what happened there. Or as mentioned, i would help you remember where you put things and such as that. In August of each year, you can go to Walmart in the school supply section and buy 70 page spirals very, very cheap. I gave 17 cents a piece for them last year and they are always very cheap like that. You can stock up on those, buy a dozen or so. I like just plain ole blue Bic pens to0. They last and last and write very well. I think a journal is a great idea.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that might be okay if one had people to leave them to, I don't, what happens to me wont make much difference to anyone else.

10. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have one!
    I record temperatures and other weather details any thing that happens names and numbers etc
    I have a new one ready to go just to document my success's and failures, weather records locations and events
    ie Tuesday 24/5/16 cold day today this morning started at just 4c very cold for may!9:54am saw a small group at xxxxxx travelling ssw on foot
    sheep! three adults four kids 2/5 let them pass, remained unseen. passed a recently deceased sheep on trail of previous group, female old!
    3:45pm two shots two rabbits at xxxxxx 5:25pm camp xxxxxx windy, clouds building proper camp might rain!

11. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    But looking back you could notice long term trends not obvious on a daily basis!
    but apparent when you read through!

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not writing anything down in case I am raided, you never know.
    in any case like I said i'll be too busy.

13. ProNine

ProNine Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I believe it's something I might do every few days before going to sleep. I believe it's important to survive mentally by keeping diaries and logs as it may be daunting to forget or mix up events. Plus, to @lonewolf , it probably wouldn't take that much time to just write down a few important bullet points. Plus, this isn't a lady act, but something that will help guard you emotionally. Literature is of itself consolation, and what's better than something you wrote yourself to remind that you survived, that you're alive.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sorry I don't want to leave anything that might be useful to an intruder or raider, especially if I am already gone.

15. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I wish I would've kept a log or diary during my experience in Hurricane Katrina. It would have been great to go back and read me learning new things and to examine my failures. However, if a disaster strikes and order is never truly maintained, keeping a journal could definitely serve as a way to measure things like time and date, which can easily get away from you when things like this happen.