Kindness Of Strangers In Times Of Disaster

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 30, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Can you guys share stories of kindness from strangers when you experienced being involved in a disaster? I hear a lot about human nature and being able to stick together for the better good during times of danger, but when our neighborhood caught fire when I was a kid, most people fought over whose stuff was whom. They stole other people's belongings while they left them in the streets (usually because they were trying to get more stuff out of their homes) and I heard some people even mugged others just for their things.

I don't really believe in goodness and human nature after seeing that. What about you guys? Got any experience with chaos, panic, and people in disaster situations?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i find 21st century people are not to be trusted, they don't much care about anyone except them selves and I keep as far away from them as possible.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, not to sound cynical or anything, but people aren't as open as in the past. Nobody would help you if they have nothing to gain, and nobody would give a helping hand and not ask for anything in return. When that fire started people just kept packing their things; nobody even helped the ones who already had their houses on fire. Looters started coming around, and then it led to even more chaos. It's a shame.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Unless I knew the person who was offering help I would not trust them. I have seen good & bad in people in disasters, mostly bad.
    Keith.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the old days when I was a kid we could all leave our doors open and nothing bad would happen, but anyone who does it now is a fool and asking for trouble.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thank you lord for letting me be a Texan!! Let me tell you when the going gets tough in Texas we tend to pull together. When Harvey flooded the hell out of Houston we didn't sit and wait for the Feds to come help us. Regular people from all over loaded up their boats and came to help. I remember a picture of a couple of 20 year old young men wading through waist deep water. One a white skinned redneck and the other a young black man. Each was carrying a child out of the flood while their mother walked between them carrying another child. The woman and kids were oriental they were one and all true Texans.

When Katrina was flooded it was Texans that showed up first to help them. Those suckers shot at them because they were busy looting and we went home until the TEXAS national guard units could be sent in to bring peace. I guess maybe that is why so often I have different views of strangers than y'all. We have trashy people here too, just like everywhere else, but here they don't run things. Even our preachers carry guns and our women are not afraid...they are armed. If you have the right to be free people and to defend yourselves like we do the good people don't have to hide and let the trash take over the streets.

When we have a disaster of any kind the churches will open their doors and offer meals and sometimes housing. People here just see that sort of thing as normal and what you are supposed to do. We stop and help women change flat tires on the side of the road and when we see someone in trouble we go and help. Last year I saw a man trying to attack one of our local convenience store owners. He was on drugs and got thrown out of the store and wanted to fight. The store owner is Indian and a good man. His kids will be native born TEXANS. The attacker was black and in the end I pulled a knife and another man there who was black pulled a pipe out of the back of his truck and we sent that dude running.

Honestly once you get out of the big cities we are a pretty stand up group of people. Black, White, Brown, Red or Yellow we are TEXANS and will stand up for each other when we see need. That is why we don't have riots here and gangs tend to be low profile. People that come here that don't fit don't tend to stay here long. We are a hard people in a lot of ways and not especially kind to whiners or people that don't live up to our rules.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Morgan101 and Old Geezer like this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I loved the old Texas. My wife has brothers and sisters with whom we've visited there and I've been there on business a few times. Davey Crockett was raised about 20 miles down the road from where I was raised. There was and still is a very similar culture thing going on between the two states and heavily so. The parts of Tennessee I'm talking about are mainly Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee. Tenn is three very different states in one. E.Tenn and W.Tenn might as well be on separate continents.

I've got I don't even begin to know how many stories of people helping people during hell days and we've had more than our fair share of hell and sharing other folk's hell. I've seen the best and worst in my fellow humans. I've known a half-dozen to a dozen out'n'out heroes -- the real McCoy variety.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    during the "blitz" people in the UK would pull together for the sake of the nation, but that was over 70 years ago, now? different generations with different attitudes, it would be everyone for themselves, I don't believe there is any "community" anymore, just people up to there eyes in debt, wanting the next techno gadget and their "15 minutes of fame", nope, in a disaster your on your own. I wouldn't bother myself trying to help others in a disaster, they'll only drag me down with them and my OPSEC would be lost.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That's just sad Lonewolf...

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    As for the USA
    The moral fiber of society is not simply tattered of late, it is missing. I would say that urban areas are worse than rural, however there is some serious moral pathologies afoot in rural areas, especially when one observes drug trade infiltration. Witness Hillbilly Heroin, Oxycontin; people kill for this sh##. And crystal meth:
    http://www.governing.com/topics/public-justice-safety/sl-meth-usage-drugs-states-illegal.html

The West is coming apart. I mean, there are many places where civilization has the upper hand, however each decade sees a catastrophic erosion of core human values. Without a push of the RESET button and the horrific consequences thereof, I see little hope for Western civilization. A majority of American megalopolises are today a write-off; some I would classify as metastatic cancers that need to be annihilated for the good of humankind.

When the SHTF, American cities are going to burn. Chaos will rule. Rural America can not, should not, take in refugees from urban areas when it hits the fan.

lonewolf likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    70 years since the end of WW2, they reckon a generation is about 25 years so nearly 3 generations have passed since that time, people these days have different priorities and different attitudes, and not for the better.
    I was reading a piece in the paper only this morning about how good manners have been eroded in this country, no. 4 was, very few say "please or thank you" anymore, now THAT is sad and shows just how low standards have fallen.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I know what you mean about manners eroding. Somehow we have raised a couple of generations that think that rude, crude and lude behavior is cool. The rab and gangster stuff is just anticivilized behavior encouraged and then the TV and movies now glamorize criminal and immoral behavior.

I think also that the current generations have never lived under the gun as people did during WW2 and to some extent until the 70s in the US. When I was young all young men had the possibility of the draft hanging over their heads and regular reminders on TV and watching others come home in pieces or a box to remind us how fragile life can be. We also had atomic bomb drills in school so it was always there that war really could happen to YOU.

There is a just huge difference here between the way people act in the smaller and more rural places than in the giant ant pile cities. The difference is getting more and more distinct at an accelerating pace. I read yesterday where there is a serious movement in California to divide it into 2 seperate states. Basically the megalopolises along the coast run the state totally for their advantage leaving the majority of the state basically unrepresented and pretty much disenfranchised. The Sacramento, San Francisco and Los Angeles populations basically run the state totaly to their advantage leaving the rest out in the cold.

In Texas the culture in Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio is more and more going down this same road. Basically I think that there is something dehumanizing about living all piled up in a relatively small area.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I lived and was brought up in a British city, not a huge city you'd probably have called it a medium sized town, only 250,000 population even now. although I don't live there anymore.
    my parents went through WW2, I was born just after, and was raised to mind my manners, give up my seat on public transport for old people and pregnant ladies, hold the door for other people, say please and thank you, and queue in shops, a lot of which is now considered old fashioned by many younger folk, who think swearing is okay and being rude is the way to get things.
    a sad state of affairs, it shows just how low this so called "CIVIL-isation" has fallen.

14. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    We survived a couple of floods in 2015 and 2016. Both times neighbors worked together to help sand bag the homes that were in danger. Everybody was cooperative and friendly. Everybody pulled together to help each other. There was never a whisper of any wrongdoing. It restored your faith in mankind.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Yenix

Yenix Well-Known Member
      67/115

Blog Posts:
    This is mostly sad to read. I guess it depends on the place where you live. From my observation, I came to the conclusion that more material comfort means less care for the world around you.

It is not exactly a disaster, but when I was travelling in Siberia to monitor the aftermath of forest fires, it was in late February, some -37°C (--35°F) and we went out of petrol (not my fault, I was nervous already when the car showed 100 km to go) in a very small village, some 40km from the nearest petrol station. Despite the fact that we were travelling in a relatively new black Mercedes, the first man we met without any hesitation pumped some 6 litres of petrol from the tank of his veeeery old Zhiguli, apologised that it is only 89 petrol and did not accept any money... When we left, I was looking at the driver, stunned and he just told with calm voice "Why are you surprised? We needed help, anyone would do it..."

And many other examples like this I can give. Like when we saw a (clearly drunk) man on the street, (who would be ignored and avoided in my country) and when he lost balance, 3 different people from the street came and helped him to his door.

So, you still can see the old spirit in those people. Russia is far from perfect, but I have been there more than 30 times and the reality is often shifted by 180° from what they show on the TV (about news from Russia in western TVs I can write a small book).

Morgan101 likes this.
  16. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    In normal times, I think people will rush to help out. Once the world (not just the town, county or even the state) collapses then I think it will be dog-eat-dog. Simply because people will not believe the collapse will end any time soon and therefore they will have to fend for themselves. When people figure out the Calvary is not coming, then they become the savages to survive. Sure hope I am wrong or it is after my time.

lonewolf, Keith H. and Yenix like this.
  17. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You know Morgan101 I have been through too many floods and Hurricanes to count and when I look back at them I can't really remember anyone being bad really. Now a few, mostly kids, do stupid things but that is just being young. I remember hearing about some kids that went water skiing in the streets during one flood. The waves were SEVERLY unappreciated and they got hollered at but they didn't mean to be doing something harmful they were just dumb. I do remember countless acts of kindness. People helping each other. Churches feeding everyone and offering shelters is just the way it is done.

Do you think that maybe what people THINK is related more to what the media throws at us than what is ACTUALLY happening? The many times more common acts of kindness seldom are offered and when they are it is done as a sort of a quick blip that is treated like something odd and exceptional.

I will tell you that I had an epiphany many years ago. At one point in the late 70s, I got seriously concerned that this country was going to have a race war. There was a lot of ugly stuff happening all over and tensions were high for a lot of reasons. One day I was chatting with a really wise and sweet little old lady about this worry and she asked me a couple of questions that had a profound effect on me over time. The questions were simple. "What has a black person ever done to YOU personally? What have black people done FOR you?"

I thought about it... and then thought about it some more. I've had a few fights with black guys but when I think about it the fighting had nothing to do with our skin colors. I've had a lot more fights with white guys. Then I thought about the many good people in my life and the things that they had dome for me and was surprised how many of those folks had black skin.

If you watch the news they are going to show the people of ALL races mostly acting stupidly and often bad. The media works hard to sell you on the idea that somehow black criminals are bad because they are black when the fact is that Black criminals are bad because they are CRIMINALS. There are white supremacist nazi skinheads out there. They don't reflect the feelings of very many people at all but they and the Kluckers get a lot of media attention. This makes Black people think that these people are bad because they are white when in reality they are bad because they are stupid bigots.

Anyway, I stopped EVER watching the news. I started talking to people again and you know what. IT was fine. I remember walking into a black bar one time. This was a bar that was right across the street from government housing and right beside the place where I worked. Everyone got real quiet. The bartender was a nice older gentleman. He asked me if I was sure that this was someplace that I should be. I smiled and told him that I had worked next door for a couple of years and had always spoken to and waved at the folks in that area and had decided that they were pretty nice folks. He brought me my beer and you know what everyone loosened up and it was great. I often would go there after that when I got off work at midnight before going home. Several of the people that I worked with went with me a few times and not once were we accosted in any bad way.

DON'T allow the media to shape or form your opinions about anything. Don't let them steal your joy! Judge people on how they treat YOU and understand that just because someone dresses different or talks with a different accent it doesn't mean that they are much different from you. They love their kids and family and in general, will treat you in a reflection of how you treat and act around them. They may see the world from a different perspective than you but that, if you will allow it, just makes them more interesting to know.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the good times, people MAY help you, depends on where you are, big city less likely than country.
    post SHTF it'll be dog eat dog and you trust a stranger at your mortal peril.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  19. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:

I think it depends on the type of the disaster, and the length of time people will be inconvenienced. Ours was very local. It really affected very few, and the rest who were close were mildly inconvenienced. It was easy for them to pitch in and help the few who really needed it . If everyone was in the same boat it might not have been so rosy.

TMT Tactical likes this.