Knife Attack, Disabled Car, Defense Ideas Sought

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Old Geezer, Jun 3, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    A news item coming out of the U.K. contained the following video, link provided. So a fellow in a car provokes a road rage and wrecks his car. This leaves the man stuck in his car with an aggressor outside the car trying to bash-in his car windows with the butt of a huge knife.

Why the windows didn't break is an utter mystery to me; fabulous glass?, protective angels?, distilled luck?, ... The aggressor in this situation should have succeeded in breaking into the disabled car. Also serendipitous to the driver was that he was able to get out of the car and run away -- miracle, absolute total miracle. This doesn't happen. A driver attempting to run away in 90% of such cases would definitely have been caught, hacked, and stabbed.

So, here's the video (this has been reported all across the internet):

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-engl...pts-to-smash-car-window-with-knife-in-croydon

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...ie-knife-on-car-in-south-london-a3852896.html

Now let us suppose that the person in a disabled car is you. Whatever his or their motivation, aggressors are attacking your car. Let's face facts, you cannot get out and run -- especially if you are without a weapon, a repeating firearm of some sort. Speaking of which, you are living in an oppressor country where you are not allowed a firearm for self defense.

Now to the questions arising:

> Would some improvised weapon suffice? If so, what would it be? Many of you already have such defensive weapons. Did you purchase the weapon or did you make your own?

> How about a rigid shield or Kevlar material? Any of you have ideas, or already have discovered such a protective device?

> Stun guns? Are stun guns illegal to carry in your country? Here in America, a lot of folk, mainly women, carry stun guns in lieu of a firearm (they can't or won't carry a firearm). There are also stun batons. In an automobile interior, you can't use tear gas or pepper spray, else you will nuke your own self. And here's a question, how do you stun the attacker while he is trying to saw off your arm?!

As for me, I keep a spare jacket and rain parka in my car. These I would try to wrap an arm with if I had time. Weapons, I have a large folding knife (kept as a tool), an ice pick (kept as a tool), and a steering wheel locking bar that is heavy steel. Currently, I do not carry a firearm; however when times get tough, I will. In another state, I had my carry permit.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    someone attacks me with a knife and i'm in my car i'll just run them over, pure and simple.
    by the way I don't think the car in the news was disabled, he'd just pulled out of a parking space and was in traffic, or that's what it said on the news.
    that knife is very similar to one you can buy online for under £20.

3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    First off the glass didn't break because it is tempered safety glass. If he had stabbed it straight on it would have shattered but trying to slash it was just stupid.

I am NEVER without several forms of weapons and protection. If you take away my gun, sword, knife and brass knuckles you still have to deal with a heavy walking cane, Trenching tool, Giant screwdriver, 20 oz ripping hammer or 2 piece pool Cue stick. I have to admit that the cue stick is a long time favorite and with the leaded butt end is a devastating club.

No matter where you are there are always things that you can carry that while innocent are great weapons. A ball glove and bat, A couple of golf balls and a nine iron, a garden hoe gloves and some plant seeds, Wasp spray, Hair spray and a lighter (A flamethrower in the face of an attacker WILL get them away from you or out of your car), A jar of hot sliced jalapenos (throw it in their face), An empty wine bottle... the list is endless and just takes a little thinking ahead of time.

Old Geezer likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    There are lots of videos currently on the web showing what happened.

The driver drove his tiny car right into the back of a delivery truck; must have killed his engine and/or trapped the small car.

This is just one way one can get trapped in their car. At the state fairs in Iowa and Wisconsin, people were stuck in massive traffic jams when attacked by hoards of aggressors. In a SHTF situation, people's cars are going to be trapped in massive traffic jams. When that happens, they will be robbed of anything of value.

Preppers will be armed in their vehicles and will shoot the savages breaking in. However, there are many police-states that forbid self-defense, making the black market price of firearms go through the roof. Question is, sans firearm, what can one keep in their car to defend their selves?

Were I in such a situation, I'd like to have a short spear and shield somewhat smaller than a trashcan lid. Maybe if I could make a few attackers bleed like a stuck hog, the rest might back off.

TexDanm likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    I re-watched the video and it seems the attacker was not using the butt of the knife like a hammer often enough, maybe once or twice. Had he simply used the butt of the knife, he could have busted through the safety glass. Safety glass breaks, however the shattered glass is held together by the inner plastic. After it breaks what is left can be shoved into the car.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a knife in each of my vehicles that have a "glass breaker" on their butt end. Tempered glass is TOUGH but if you poke it with a point it will shatter pretty easily. The big glass doors they have on stores can take a blow from a hammer but if you poke them they turn into little cubes.

My familly was in the window, door, glass and mirror business. I remember when they came out with tempered glass and made it LAW that patio door panels and bathtub doors had to be tempered. We took all the untempered ones and built my Uncle the prettiest green house you ever saw. I remember when glass doors used to kill people pretty often because they would walk into them and when regular glass breaks it will cut you up. If you walk into a tempered glass patio door you will usually bounce off with a bloody nose. IF it breaks it shatters into tiny little pieces that aren't even sharp.

One of the strange things about tempered glass is that occasionally a sudden temperature change will cause them to just spontaneously shatter.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I started this record just last month, here is a list of car jackings, assaults, rapes & murder. Being here in Australia, as Old Geezer said, it is illegal here to carry anything for self defence.
    I am not likely to be in the unfortunate position of being trapped in my car. Being 4WD with a bull bar I can pretty much smash my way out of most situations.
    What do I carry? Bunch of keys, walking stick, car jack & lever behind the back seat. This vehicle is a twin cab truck, so I have four doors for exit if needs be.
    If I am driving my other 4WD truck, which happens occasionally, then it is a single cab but I have two block busters behind the seat plus a winch handle. The winch handle would be the best bet. Light enough for a quick return but heavy enough to take someone out, & it has some length to it. This vehicle also has a good bull bar so I can shunt my way out of between vehicles if I have to.
    Keith.
    Home Invasions & Assaults 2018 list too long for this forum, it will not post!

Old Geezer likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I used to carry a long break over bar in my truck for breaking the lug nuts loose. The kids with the air driven impacts would get the lug nuts so tight that a regular lug wrench was useless. That break over bar was about like carrying a crow bar and was a good "multi" use tool that was perfectly legal.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-00206A-Premium-Breaker-Length/dp/B001222378/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528316104&sr=8-1&keywords=break+over+bar+1/2

My favorite "tool" is my big screwdriver/pry bar. It looks like this except it is straight instead of bent on the end. At about 3'/1 meter it is a great weapon.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...1528316320&sr=1-9&keywords=long+heavy+pry+bar

Keith H. and Old Geezer like this.
  9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Another really good, effective and totally legal close quarters weapon is a sock with a couple of rolls of quarters in it. If you want it to be a skull cracker you use rolled coins. If you want more of a stunner you use loose coins. I have always and still do carry a couple of rolls of coins in my truck. For one thing that means I always have some cash, I carry rolls of dollar coins these days, and for another a roll of coins in your fist makes your hits have more authority. In prison a lock in a sock or batteries in a sock are deadly weapons. If you just want to make an impression you put a bar of soap in the sock.

I can't imagine a situation where a cop could say that possession of coins would be an illegal weapon. I like my coins, they are always there and are great to have.

10. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I can't envision a time when I wouldn't be legally armed. I live in Arizona, and I am a retired police officer and as such have a LEOSA permit which is good nationwide. I always carry. Period. Full size Glock, 2 spare mags, a backup gun, and a knife. If you want to dig deeper in my truck...there are a couple more long guns in there too.

11. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Basically I think the moron with the knife was trying to scare the crap out of the kid in the car rather then make a determined attempt to get in and stab him. Unfortunately there are far to many cretins like that on the streets these days.
    One thing to bear in mind while driving in an inner city is that if the car window had been partially open it would most likely have broken much more easily, driving with your car windows closed also gives the whole car greater structural integrity in case of a collision.
    As regards a legal weapon, I always have a wheelbrace and an aerosol can of WD40 under my car seat.