Knife Skill Exercises

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by BigZirp, Jun 25, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BigZirp

BigZirp Expert Member
      138/173

Blog Posts:
    My son is 10 years old. He is a very active kid in both sports and cub scouts. He has earned his whittling chip which is the rite of passage to use a knife. He has a nice collection of knives. I am looking for creative ideas for him to use his knife and sharpen his skills. He does minor carving and makes spear points. Any suggestions?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Making primitive traps. The figure four trap trigger for instance. This can be used on small dead falls & live catch cage traps.
    Keith.

BigZirp likes this.
  3. BigZirp

BigZirp Expert Member
      138/173

Blog Posts:
    Awesome idea. That would definetly keep his interest. Also teach other skills.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    19d56f478e99474b838574594904470e.png

5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    https://www.pinterest.com/explore/whittling-projects/

I love to whittle and carve. These are all good ideas. He also might like carving a bowie knife/letter opener, a ball in a box or a wood chain.

I make a lot of my wood carving knives out of old rusty carbon steel kitchen paring knives that I pick up at garage sales and flea markets for pocket change.

BigZirp likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    Just thank God that your boy is sensible.

Thinking about what to do with our 12 yr old grandson next week. Maybe I'll just let his old bald seriously crippled uncle (my oldest boy) teach him something not too dangerous. Back a thousand years ago this fellow was taking his younger brother out to teach him some driving techniques. "Today, I'm gonna teach him to drive with one knee so that he can light a cigarette." My response, "How thoughtful of you." At least he didn't say "joint".

Oh and thank God that your boy is sensible. You don't want to have to bury any of your kids. Not good for your soul. Have fun, man. Enjoy these days.

Get him an ice cream sandwich.

BigZirp likes this.